Contribute
Register

Monterey 12.3 and Sandy Bridge CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that. Is it possible for you to repost without the links? I can search google for more information with the keywords to try to reverse engineer the links. So I understand correctly, you are saying speedstep is actually working for you then?

Also did you simply add this kext, or was there any extra configuration required?
Unfortunately, it appears that on this site, I can't even mention the name of the site in question. It begins with an r and is a VERY well known discussion site. The thread title is "is Power Management configurable on Monterey for SandyBridge CPU". Google should find it for you. There are links to kext itself on Github in the discussion

I just added the kext - all that it actually does is to slightly edit a plist that has the weightings for what macOS takes into account in deciding what hardware it's dealing with.

I don't know how to fully test Speedstep. All I can tell you is that previously on my system the CPU was stuck in a single low power state, and now it at least cycles between a low power idle state (+- 8W per the Intel tool), and a high power state (40W+). And the Geekbench scores are now correct for a 2600K CPU

Hi all,

I have a i7 2600K Sandy Bridge CPU / Asus P8P67 Pro machine. I got Monterey 12.2 working on following this guide here.

However when I updated to 12.3 I found that power management no longer worked. I was stuck at the lowest MH state (1.6). I ended up having to roll back the update (by reinstalling).

I did find one other person who had this issue when searching "opencore sandybridge power management monterey", but no solution unfortunately. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Because macOS 12.3 dropped the "plugin-type" check within x86PlatformPlugin

Unfortunately, it appears that on this site, I can't even mention the name of the site in question. It begins with an r and is a VERY well known discussion site. The thread title is "is Power Management configurable on Monterey for SandyBridge CPU". Google should find it for you. There are links to kext itself on Github in the discussion

I just added the kext - all that it actually does is to slightly edit a plist that has the weightings for what macOS takes into account in deciding what hardware it's dealing with.

I don't know how to fully test Speedstep. All I can tell you is that previously on my system the CPU was stuck in a single low power state, and now it at least cycles between a low power idle state (+- 8W per the Intel tool), and a high power state (40W+). And the Geekbench scores are now correct for a 2600K CPU
Got it. Thank you so much!

I know the link (I posted there in the same thread with the same handle). This is very interesting. I'll give it a go when I have some time. The poster indicated it didn't work for them at the time.

Just a last question. You added ASPP-Override.kext to your kexts folder. Did you have to modify your config.plist in any way? If so what was the modification if you don't mind me asking. Thanks again!

Update: I tried updating to 12.5 with the kext and it's still stuck. Looks like I'll be headed back to 12.2. :/

Got it. Thank you so much!

I know the link (I posted there in the same thread with the same handle). This is very interesting. I'll give it a go when I have some time. The poster indicated it didn't work for them at the time.

Just a last question. You added ASPP-Override.kext to your kexts folder. Did you have to modify your config.plist in any way? If so what was the modification if you don't mind me asking. Thanks again!
You do have to add the kext to the config.plist. Here's what I added in the kext section:

Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
                <string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>ExecutablePath</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>Any</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>ASPP-Override.kext</string>
            </dict>

You do have to add the kext to the config.plist. Here's what I added in the kext section:

Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
                <string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>ExecutablePath</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>Any</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>ASPP-Override.kext</string>
            </dict>
This worked. You rock. Thank you!

Great to come back after a while and see that my question solved the issue! I will try it out tomorrow when I found a spare SSD. Don't want to touch the running system.

So I have to copy the kext and activate in config, that's it?

And a second question: which Platform did you use? I am on iMac17,1 for Big Sur right now.

BR,
Karlson.

Last edited:
Great to come back after a while and see that my question solved the issue! I will try it out tomorrow when I found a spare SSD. Don't want to touch the running system.

So I have to copy the kext and activate in config, that's it?

And a second question: which Platform did you use? I am on iMac17,1 for Big Sur right now.

BR,
Karlson.
Yeah. That was it. I used iMac18,3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back