Contribute
Register

Monterey 12.2 - Clover Bootloader v5144 - Required firmware update could not be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi, so I tried doing a fresh install using a stable EFI (Tested on Mojave with updated drivers and kexts), but I am running into an issue during the installation of Monterey 12.2.

I tried following the steps here for people using Clover:

But mostly the issue was apparently about AdviseFeatures not being enabled. I saw that AdviseFeatures appended the an "8" to ExtendedFirmwareFeatures and ExtendedFirmwareFeaturesMask in the config.plist/smbios.

However, I noticed that refreshing the firmware on my smbios added these ExtendedFirmwareFEatures with the bit correctly appended.

This is the relevant part of my plist:
Code:
        <key>ExtendedFirmwareFeatures</key>
        <string>0x8FD0FF576</string>
        <key>ExtendedFirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <string>0x8FF1FFF3F</string>
        <key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
        <string>0xFD0FF576</string>
        <key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <string>0xFF1FFF3F</string>

However no matter what I try, I still get the message

A required firmware update could not be installed​

Can anyone help? Much appreciated thank you!

Hi, so I tried doing a fresh install using a stable EFI (Tested on Mojave with updated drivers and kexts), but I am running into an issue during the installation of Monterey 12.2.

I tried following the steps here for people using Clover:

But mostly the issue was apparently about AdviseFeatures not being enabled. I saw that AdviseFeatures appended the an "8" to ExtendedFirmwareFeatures and ExtendedFirmwareFeaturesMask in the config.plist/smbios.

However, I noticed that refreshing the firmware on my smbios added these ExtendedFirmwareFEatures with the bit correctly appended.

This is the relevant part of my plist:
Code:
        <key>ExtendedFirmwareFeatures</key>
        <string>0x8FD0FF576</string>
        <key>ExtendedFirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <string>0x8FF1FFF3F</string>
        <key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
        <string>0xFD0FF576</string>
        <key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <string>0xFF1FFF3F</string>

However no matter what I try, I still get the message

A required firmware update could not be installed​

Can anyone help? Much appreciated thank you!
make sure you are using the latest version of your boot loader

From the Clover_Install_log.txt in my EFI:

Clover EFI installer log - Sat Jan 29 15:33:54 EST 2022
Installer version: r5144 (commit: 08b24e564) EFI bootloader

So looks like the latest clover bootloader is installed.

1. Open CloverConfigurator and ensure that it is the latest version then use it to open your config.plist.
2. Select 'Update Firmware Only'.
3. Reselect your SMBIOS to populate the firmware options with the latest data.
4. Save the edited config.plist.
5. Restart.

Clover.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I have done every part of that to the letter, same result.

One thing I didn't mention is the way I am installing a fresh macos installation:

1. I Cloned my current stable macOS Mojave installation on an external SSD (with my stable EFI).
2. I booted from the external ssd after disabling my Mojave disk in the BIOS.
3. It booted correctly. I then installed the latest bootloader, updated the drivers (verified they were updated), updated all kexts via Clover Configurator (and the updated 3rd party kexts I could find on the web)
4. I updated the SMBios firmware.
5. Now I disconnected the external SSD, booted from my main Mojave disk, and downloaded the macOS installer (vanilla installation). I then plugged in, backed up the updated EFI and formatted the external drive to Macos Extended Journaled = GUID. Then, with the installer, I pushed the installation to the external ssd.
6. Before rebooting, I mounted the efi partition of the external ssd and copied the updated EFI there. I then rebooted, disconnected my Mojave drive in BIOS, rebooted and loaded the Clover Bootloader (from external ssd)
7. In the Clover bootloader boot screen, I verified the version (5144), I also pressed F11 to clear VRAM, rebooted one last time, then booted from the external ssd with the install media and updated EFI.
8. After one reboot, the Apple loading screen shows up and then I get The required firmware could not be installed message.

Also, I heard Opencore is a better solution then Clover, but as I was not the person to setup my original stable EFI, I have doubts I will be able to make the switch successfully on my own.

Thanks again for any help provided!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back