Contribute
Register

Monitor goes to sleep after boot sequence. (black screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170A
CPU
Intel Core i5-6600K
Graphics
Asus NVidia GeForce GTX 970 Strix
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!
I'm nearly finishing my Skylake Hackintosh and I've stumbled upon a problem with my GPU/Drivers.
My GPU (GTX 970) shows up as "Nvidia Chip Model 5mb" and it's impossible to do anything without nv_disable=1 boot flag. I tried to fix this by:
- Reinstalling drivers
- Using ADGPfix
- Adding a nvda_drv=1 boot flag
- Adding a Nvidia injector into config.plist
- And many more that I forgot about...
The only thing that I didn't try is changing/modifying/patching SSDT just because I didn't have time for this (gonna try it on a weekend if nothing else works) And I need to mention that while I have a black screen, I'm still able to log in, and even launch Spotify 0.0

If you can help with anything then I'd really appreciate your effort :D

P.S. I've read those threads before posting this :)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/read-me-first-graphics-setup-troubleshooting.183617/ https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-method-for-enabling-nvidia-web-drivers-in-clover.202341/

Disabled iGPU in Bios?

I have the same GPU, and the same* problem. I do, however, have some options that might work for you.

Given a baseline:
  • I am running Sierra 10.12.1.
  • I have the NVIDIA Web drivers installed.
  • I am using the iMac14,2 system type.
  • I have the appropriate NVRAM flag set OR I have added the NvidaWeb system parameter to my config.plist.
If I boot with no flags and CSM disabled, I get a headless boot. Monitors are receiving signal, but remain blank. Machine hangs on reboot request.
If I boot with no flags and CSM enabled, I get a successful boot (after the screens go dark for a minute). Full desktop, w/ (apparent) acceleration.
If I boot with darkwake=0 and CSM enabled, I get a successful boot (after the screens go dark for a minute). Seems to boot somewhat faster than with no flags.
If I boot with -no-zp and CSM enabled, I get a successful boot (after the screens go dark for a minute). This seemed to allow the desktop to "fade in" at the end of the boot sequence.
If I boot with darkwake=0 -no-zp and CSM enabled, I get a successful boot (after the screens go dark for a minute). This seemed to be the best option overall.

With CSM enabled, the boot process is slower, and runs at a low resolution through the POST, Clover, and Apple logo stages. It also requires the USB Ownership patch.
With CSM disabled, the boot process runs at the native screen resolution through the POST, Clover, and Apple logo stages.

While I hope this is helpful, I'm really hoping to leave CSM disabled. If anyone has suggestions towards that end, or can provide diagnostic help, I would appreciate it greatly.

* My problem may only be similar, not identical.

Thanks for replying. Seems like you're the only person that actually describes something o.o Sadly I cannot help you with your problem since I'm a newbie to this "Hackintosh" stuff.
Anyways, I didn't try enabling CSM, so that may work. Gonna try those settings when I go back from school :) Thank you very much

UPDATE: The drivers still don't work, tried all those settings and also InjectNvidia and other patches. Seems like Sierra isn't ready for my PC yet :)
Gonna try downgrading to El Capitan and see if anything works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back