Contribute
Register

Monitor goes black as if video card stops outputting, HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
CPU
INTEL I9-9900K
Graphics
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6
I got my hackintosh running a little over a month ago, and other than some small annoyances that I haven't tackled yet, it's been running solid up until a few days ago. While editing in photoshop my monitor went completely black, not off, but black/very deep dark grey. I'm running a Sapphire NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G GDDR6 graphics via display port to a Samsung monitor. I tried changing the display port to a different port, and also tried changing to the HDMI display outputs, but same issue persisted. After reboot everything worked fine. A few days later the same issue happened again while editing in photoshop. I reset the comp and booted like normal to clover and then clicked on Catalina boot. Catalina started to boot, but prior to the login screen where I login to Catalina with my password the monitor went black again. I reset again and the screen went black again just before the login screen. Since then a few more days have gone by and haven't had the issue happen again. Although I haven't been in photoshop as much. Any ideas for what could be causing this? What can I do to test to confirm the issue? Any help is greatly appreciated! This machine is strictly built for editing in photoshop, Lightroom, and premiere pro.

Here is my hardware list:

Does anyone have any ideas? :banghead: I can provide EFI, plist, etc files. Are there any test programs I can run to provide you reports? Thank you!! :thumbup:

Thanks for your response. Can you elaborate why you think it might be a power issue? Or a sleep mode setting? I've continued to use the computer for another week with no issues at all. After letting it sit by itself for a while it goes to sleep and by shaking the mouse, I'm able to wake it back up. So at least as far as I can tell right now, it appears the sleep function is working properly. I haven't used photoshop, and plan to today. So we'll see if the issue comes back, which I have high confidence it will considering nothing has changed.

I'm still running into this issue where after a while when editing in photoshop the screen goes black and have to restart the computer to get the screen to come back up. Any ideas? I am looking in the console app for errors, can someone help me search for the error in the error logs?

I'm having to restart my computer about 3-4 times a day, so would like to get this solved soon as it's an ongoing annoying issue. Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back