Contribute
Register

Mojave upgrade: "Error verifying firmware"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. Might be worth a try, but then I'd have to come up with a new serial number. Already having ongoing issues with FaceTime and authentication (though iCloud works fine).

Yes may be, but you will fix the current issues with a new serial number for FaceTime and authentication after update.

@malibyte , are you using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi or are you still with Emuvariable kext to properly transmit your SMBIOS credentials to iCloud? If the latter is the case, try to remove Emuvariable kext and rc scripts and use AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead. Remember to avoid the slide boot flag when using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi.

If you do not use any of both approaches, FaceTime and iMessage will fail anyway despite all correct SMBIOS credentials. Maybe that's actually your problem.

There should be absolutely no problem with Facetime or iMessage, when changing from 10.13 to 10.14 and there is no need to redefine any SMBIOS credentials either as long your EFI-Folder else also implements either AptioMemoryFix-64.efi or Emuvariable kext. In contrary, never use AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and Emuvariable kext at the same time.

Good luck,

KGP

Last edited:
So, you wound up having to do a clean install? Any way around that? If I could restore my apps and data from a Time Machine backup, that would be OK, but I've not had to do that before as upgrades have gone pretty smoothly, for the most part, until now.

Yes, but.....I have second drive installed that was APFS already with all that I need to rebuild with, so it didn't take much. Since I have been running this for awhile, its very stable.

Interesting. Created new APFS partition on an SSD with Disk Utility on the install USB, then tried a fresh install. It won't let me select the new partition; gives me "Your Mac needs a firmware update in order to install to this volume. Please select a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume instead." OK, what am I missing? Using the latest UniBeast...

Last edited:
@malibyte , are you using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi or are you still with Emuvariable kext to properly transmit your SMBIOS credentials to iCloud? If the latter is the case, try to remove Emuvariable kext and rc scripts and use AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead. Remember to avoid the slide boot flag when using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi.

If you do not use any of both approaches, FaceTime and iMessage will fail anyway despite all correct SMBIOS credentials. Maybe that's actually your problem.

@kgp -
I am using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi. Emuvariable is nowhere to be found.

Thanks

OK - got the firmware problem solved. My config.plist still had a very old BIOS revision and date (September 2013) even though I have a recent version of Clover installed. These were never updated in the SMBIOS section. Once I changed them (booted into Linux, mounted the EFI partition, used a text editor) to newer ones (21 Aug. 2017 and BIOS IM142.88Z.0123.B00.1708211454) the upgrade to Mojave went just fine....

HOWEVER - my USB devices (keyboard and mouse) are not working. I have USBInjectAll and in .config.plist, it shows that the USB 15->24 patch is installed. Can anyone let me know what I need to tweak to get this fixed? Thanks!

The machine I was trying to upgrade is using the Intel HD 4600. Did finally get Mojave to install, but my USB devices aren't working. The other machine has a NVidia GT 640 card.

I tried running Multibeast from the install USB drive (Terminal -> cd to the install partition on the flash drive, run Multibeast) and selected my Mojave SSD partition as the target. Selected 7/8/9 series USB support and the new USB Port Limit patch. Still no joy, USB still not working.

I can edit /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist from Linux, but obviously can't run Clover Configurator, since I can't log in to MacOS. If someone can give me a clue as to the direct edits I need to make, I'd really appreciate it. Or, give me the options to try from the Clover boot screen and will try that also...have already tried safe mode and USBInjectAll, without any success...this machine is running Clover v. 4658 - thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back