Contribute
Register

Mojave upgrade, but graphics on screen slows down and then hangs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus z97-a
CPU
I5-4690k
Graphics
R9 280
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently upgraded my Haswell i5, Z97-A, AMD R9 280 3gb Yosemite installation to Mojave. The install went fine eventually, and the machine logs in with sound, internet, the works - all cool! Except for graphics: the screen will eventually start becoming very sluggish to respond to, and then permanently stop updating i.e. a frozen screen, bar mouse movement. The machine is still remotely connectable (and I can run commands) but no screen usage. The time for this "screen freeze" can be 5 seconds from logon to 10-15 minutes, no obvious app is causing it, but I think video can accelerate the issue. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any ideas on a fix? I don't think it's hardware failure as the same machines boots into Linux and Windows with no issues. Any help on this would be VERY much appreciated! Logs etc from install_tools.sh attached.

Attachments

• debug_813.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
Hey, I'm experiencing a similar problem. I dunno, I think it's something to do with graphics (not many things should be able to bring a modern OS to its knees like we're experiencing). In fact, the last freeze I had seemed related to Safari.

I think the best way to proceed, other than doing the official support steps for this forum (!) is to boot using Safe Mode, which is holding the Left Shift key *immediately* after entering your password at logon screen. This loads only the minimum stuff at login. Hold it until you're sure logon has completed. I haven't had a crash yet in safe mode, so I'm thinking there's a conflict with some of the extra software I run (and I run a bunch because that's the whole reason I built this rig: to run as much as I like haha).

So, IF this issue is software (and let's face it, there's a 50% chance it's to do with the HW configuration, which I don't feel confident advising about), here's my list of suspects: Safari 12.0 (I've now disabled all the "Experimental Features", available in the Develop menu - and testing as I write). Also, Volta, and Lulu which is the replacement for Little Snitch which I can't afford anymore. The reason I'm particularly looking at these apps is because they're quite new to me, and they use kernel extensions to support their functionality.

The last panic report I had first mentioned the apfs kext - oh god please don't let this be a low level filesystem thing..

Hey, I'm experiencing a similar problem. I dunno, I think it's something to do with graphics (not many things should be able to bring a modern OS to its knees like we're experiencing). In fact, the last freeze I had seemed related to Safari.

I think the best way to proceed, other than doing the official support steps for this forum (!) is to boot using Safe Mode, which is holding the Left Shift key *immediately* after entering your password at logon screen. This loads only the minimum stuff at login. Hold it until you're sure logon has completed. I haven't had a crash yet in safe mode, so I'm thinking there's a conflict with some of the extra software I run (and I run a bunch because that's the whole reason I built this rig: to run as much as I like haha).

So, IF this issue is software (and let's face it, there's a 50% chance it's to do with the HW configuration, which I don't feel confident advising about), here's my list of suspects: Safari 12.0 (I've now disabled all the "Experimental Features", available in the Develop menu - and testing as I write). Also, Volta, and Lulu which is the replacement for Little Snitch which I can't afford anymore. The reason I'm particularly looking at these apps is because they're quite new to me, and they use kernel extensions to support their functionality.

The last panic report I had first mentioned the apfs kext - oh god please don't let this be a low level filesystem thing..

Thanks for the update. Here's an interesting observation - everything has been just fine overnight with just chrome (with this page open), notes open (although the spinning windmill is on permanently suggesting syncing is never finishing), Finder, Reminders and Terminal. But if I load up a BBC video in Chrome, it will crash almost immediately. Maybe it's Lilu, I've never used it till now. So I'm starting to definitely think it's graphics related.

Out of curiosity, how do you get the panic reports after such a graphics crash??

Matt

Thanks for the update. Here's an interesting observation - everything has been just fine overnight with just chrome (with this page open), notes open (although the spinning windmill is on permanently suggesting syncing is never finishing), Finder, Reminders and Terminal. But if I load up a BBC video in Chrome, it will crash almost immediately. Maybe it's Lilu, I've never used it till now. So I'm starting to definitely think it's graphics related.

Out of curiosity, how do you get the panic reports after such a graphics crash??

Matt
You need to have your hardware profile filled out as per rules (the ones you agreed to when signing up here)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/personal-details

Apologies details have been updated now
Capture.JPG

I’m having the same issue. Does yours freeze when you open the system preference pane to change wallpaper? That is the easiest way for me to duplicate the problem, it does it with videos as well.

I’m having the same issue. Does yours freeze when you open the system preference pane to change wallpaper? That is the easiest way for me to duplicate the problem, it does it with videos as well.
Actually, no mine is fine with that...

But, in Chrome, a BBC video will crash it in 2 seconds, but a YouTube video seems to play fine....

This is driving me nuts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back