Register

Mojave to Ventura Wi-fi Unstable

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3 - F6
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hello. Has there been a fundamental change in how macOS supports wi-fi adapters in versions higher than Mojave (Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, and Ventura)?

I've been using the TP-Link Archer T9E wi-fi PCI card that was recommended in the Buyer's Guide when I built this hack. It uses the Broadcom BCM4360 chipset and has run flawlessly through macOS Mojave. I recently did a series of upgrades from Mojave -> Catalina -> Big Sur -> Monterey -> Ventura (13.0.1). My wi-fi connection works but with wildly varying ping times (tens of milliseconds to 400 - 500ms) and slow connection speeds of anywhere from 20 - 140 MBPS on 500 MBPS fiber internet, as compared to ~40ms pings and 600 MBPS/290MBPS download/upload in Mojave.

I updated Opencore and its supporting kexts and other files from Version 0.7.6 to 0.8.6 (thank you, @miliuco !), tested it, and then did all the macOS upgrades in succession in one day. I had downloaded the standalone installers beforehand, except for Ventura. I only minimally tested my internet connection after rebooting into each new OS version before applying the installer for the next version, so I don't know at what point the wi-fi performance was affected. Only after using Ventura for awhile did I realize this and run some speed and bufferbloat tests. The problem persists when I boot from a Monterey boot disk using the same Opencore EFI, so it appears the problem wasn't introduced in Ventura.

The macOS Ventura and OpenCore Legacy Patcher Support #998 page mentions "Broken Wireless Patches for legacy Wifi Cards" but my card isn't listed as one of the affected models. Did macOS drop support for my wi-fi card, or is there some way to resolve its current poor performance? Thank you in advance for your help.

Well, there were no suggestions, so I ended up replacing my trusty Archer T9E wi-fi card with a Fenvi 919, which resolved my bluetooth issues as well.

Back