Contribute
Register

Mojave to Catalina 10.15.1 Update - Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JFPR

Guys,

Whatever I try I still can't pass the Black Screen with a mouse cursor (photo below).

I have 2 ssd running in the same machine, one stable in Mojave and one to test the updates (see Disk Utility screenshot below). For the MacOS Catalina I updated clover and added both Lilu 1.3.9, WEG 1.3.4 and agdpmod=pikera boot argument. I even tried changing SMBIOS and adding -disablegfxfirmware. Nothing works... IGPU is disabled in BIOS.

I've attached both my EFI running on Mojave and the one that is failing on Catalina. Can somebody help me?

MY machine is running

Gigabyte z370 XP SLI (Bios F4)
32 GB Ram 2400 MHz
1 NVMe WD Black 750 1TB (Mojave)
1 NVMe WD Black 256 GB (Catalina)
GPU Asus AMD RX 580 8GB

Please let me know if anyone finds a solution.

Attachments

• EFI - Updated Clover and Kext to Install Catalina.zip
    25.5 MB · Views: 123
  • Initial Screen.jpg
    Initial Screen.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 136
  • Verbose Stuck right before boot.jpg
    Verbose Stuck right before boot.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 166
  • EFI - Running on Mojave.zip
    24.7 MB · Views: 89
  • Disk Utility.png
    Disk Utility.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Boot (after Verbose Screen).jpg
    Boot (after Verbose Screen).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 190
Guys,

Whatever I try I still can't pass the Black Screen with a mouse cursor (photo below).

I have 2 ssd running in the same machine, one stable in Mojave and one to test the updates (see Disk Utility screenshot below). For the MacOS Catalina I updated clover and added both Lilu 1.3.9, WEG 1.3.4 and agdpmod=pikera boot argument. I even tried changing SMBIOS and adding -disablegfxfirmware. Nothing works... IGPU is disabled in BIOS.

I've attached both my EFI running on Mojave and the one that is failing on Catalina. Can somebody help me?

MY machine is running

Gigabyte z370 XP SLI (Bios F4)
32 GB Ram 2400 MHz
1 NVMe WD Black 750 1TB (Mojave)
1 NVMe WD Black 256 GB (Catalina)
GPU Asus AMD RX 580 8GB

Please let me know if anyone finds a solution.
you may need lilu and whatevergreen kexts in clover/kexts/other

I already have them as you can see in the picture below. No luck :/

Can you give a quick look to my EFI Folder?

WEG 1.3.4 and Lilu 1.3.9

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2019-10-30, às 15.49.28.png
    Captura de ecrã 2019-10-30, às 15.49.28.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 151
I already have them as you can see in the picture below. No luck :/

Can you give a quick look to my EFI Folder?

WEG 1.3.4 and Lilu 1.3.9
they weren't in your files you uploaded

they weren't in your files you uploaded

Really? Sorry I might have added later. They should appear on the Specific EFI folder that says Updated for Installation of MacOS Catalina. I did try another thing, I started with -x -v -s and I got this message: "Root Device is mounted Read-Only". Should this be the problem?

I also noticed that this update divided the disk in two similar disks. One that says WD 256GB and other WD 256 - Data

Attachments

• 2019-10-30 15.52.57.jpg
    2019-10-30 15.52.57.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 135
Really? Sorry I might have added later. They should appear on the Specific EFI folder that says Updated for Installation of MacOS Catalina. I did try another thing, I started with -x -v -s and I got this message: "Root Device is mounted Read-Only". Should this be the problem?

I also noticed that this update divided the disk in two similar disks. One that says WD 256GB and other WD 256 - Data
yes, when booting the update, the one with Data should be used until the update has completed, sometimes takes a couple of reboots

yes, when booting the update, the one with Data should be used until the update has completed, sometimes takes a couple of reboots
So you are saying that the update might not have been completed yet right? Otherwise there would not be this - Data drive.

The thing is that I can't control anything because the screen is black, I don't know if the update is finished or not and I can't hear a thing.

The IGPU is disabled. Should I enable it on BIOS for that? I remember that enabling IGPU was bad for my Mojave installation.

So you are saying that the update might not have been completed yet right? Otherwise there would not be this - Data drive.

The thing is that I can't control anything because the screen is black, I don't know if the update is finished or not and I can't hear a thing.

The IGPU is disabled. Should I enable it on BIOS for that? I remember that enabling IGPU was bad for my Mojave installation.
yes, keeping booting the "Data" one until it is no longer there

make sure latest lilu and weg kexts are in clover

I’ll try that. The thing is that on the Clover Boot Page it only appears one disk to boot. Not the Data one, but I think selecting the supposed disk will do the Job.
I’m booting it now and I’m leaving it on with a black screen. I’ll wait a few hours and comeback.

I’ll try that. The thing is that on the Clover Boot Page it only appears one disk to boot. Not the Data one, but I think selecting the supposed disk will do the Job.
I’m booting it now and I’m leaving it on with a black screen. I’ll wait a few hours and comeback.
sometimes if the update fails, you may have to start the update again, re download etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back