Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm currently running Mojave 10.14.6 on a Designare Z390. My OS is on a PCI SSD. I also have another SATA SSD i can clear.

Is it best to update to Big Sur on the PCI one, or clean install it on the SATA one?

I'm no expert in Hackintosh and really just follow the guides with limited knowledge of what I'm actually doing.

... I think I just answered my own question!!! :) But any advice appreciated

I'm currently running Mojave 10.14.6 on a Designare Z390. My OS is on a PCI SSD. I also have another SATA SSD i can clear.

Is it best to update to Big Sur on the PCI one, or clean install it on the SATA one?

I'm no expert in Hackintosh and really just follow the guides with limited knowledge of what I'm actually doing.

... I think I just answered my own question!!! :) But any advice appreciated
What was your own answer?

Do you plan to eventually get Big Sur onto the M.2 SSD?

If I were you, and if I want to get Big Sur installed on the M.2 SSD, I would first clone the Mojave installation onto the SATA SSD, and after verifying that it can boot normally, then proceed to install Big Sur cleanly on the NVMe SSD (by first disabling or removing the SATA SSD).

Thanks. That was my feeling, that I should do a clean install. I have used migration assistant across two previous iMacs to the Hackintosh, so I'm sure there's a heap of crap in the system that should be cleaned. Just need to find a few days not working with it to re-install all the software. And I'm only going to go as far as Catalina first I think.

I've got a working bootable backup drive of Mojave now, so that's a good start! Will try normal Apple upgrade to Catalina and see if it works.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back