Contribute
Register

Mojave Run With Two Graphics Cards > Metal & Non Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi everyone, does anyone know whether Mojave will work with two graphic cards: one being supported and another being unsupported by the new Metal-requirement.

At the moment, I have a fully compatible hardware, according to the requirements mentioned elsewhere here (couldn’t find the link). But I have only integrated GPU at the moment, and have a free card being around, so I’m going to put that graphic card inside the machine. The card isn’t supported by Mojave (GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Architecture Fermi GF114-400-A1), but works fine on Sierra. And in High Sierra, I guess, but I assume there is no difference between the two in terms of the cards compatibility.

I wonder how macOS will work with two cards: one supported and one unsupported?
  • Will I be able to use the integrated card for whatever they require Metal to work (interface? Anything else?).
  • Will it work if I’ll update to Mojave before installing the card?
  • Any chance of the unsupported card working in Mojave as it worked in previous macOSes?
  • Does anyone know will Mojave checks the hardware for compatibility? I see there’s a hack to install Mojave on an unsupported hardware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back