CPU
i5 9400F
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I hope one of the experts can tell me if I am using the best solution to .jpg files preview not working with AMD RX580 and Mojave

The fix I used was in this THIS post and involved editing "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleVPA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist"

I have done this succesfully and the issue seems to be solved. My question is if it is the recommended best solution. I've done a lot of reading and there are many supposed fixes including SMBIOS definition change, Lilu plug in kext, activating on board graphics..... Is the solution I have used a good one?

Second Question, should Whatevergreen and Lilu not take care of this issue?

Attached are problem reporting files

Attachments

• debug_1297.zip
    2 MB · Views: 68
I hope one of the experts can tell me if I am using the best solution to .jpg files preview not working with AMD RX580 and Mojave

The fix I used was in this THIS post and involved editing "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleVPA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist"

I have done this succesfully and the issue seems to be solved. My question is if it is the recommended best solution. I've done a lot of reading and there are many supposed fixes including SMBIOS definition change, Lilu plug in kext, activating on board graphics..... Is the solution I have used a good one?

Second Question, should Whatevergreen and Lilu not take care of this issue?

Attached are problem reporting files

Either (1) enable IGPU and configure it to be headless or (2) use a system definition that doesn't have IGPU.

Either (1) enable IGPU and configure it to be headless or (2) use a system definition that doesn't have IGPU.
Many thanks. Excuse my ignorance, but which is the cleaner solution, will changing sys definition have repercussions with apple id etc?

Changing sys def I can do, can you point me to a guide for headless configuration? Apologies, I know how to enable iGPU, how to "configure headless"

Many thanks. Excuse my ignorance, but which is the cleaner solution, will changing sys definition have repercussions with apple id etc?

Changing sys def I can do, can you point me to a guide for headless configuration? Apologies, I know how to enable iGPU, how to "configure headless"

You can start here:

From searching this site, I also found this works if you don't want the IGPU enabled but want to use a system definition that does have IGPU.
Just add these boot arguments to config.plist:
shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

See: https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg/releases

From searching this site, I also found this works if you don't want the IGPU enabled but want to use a system definition that does have IGPU.
Just add these boot arguments to config.plist:
shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

See: https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg/releases

It works... But it disables hardware decoding... Is that what you want?

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 6.12.57 PM.png

Source:https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg

If you want to fix it the right way, either (1) enable IGPU and configure it to be headless or (2) choose a system definition that doesn't have IGPU.

It works... But it disables hardware decoding... Is that what you want?

View attachment 419384
Source:https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg

If you want to fix it the right way, either (1) enable IGPU and configure it to be headless or (2) choose a system definition that doesn't have IGPU.
Thanks for your help. I am going to go with option 1, all new to me so will seek help in appropriate thread when I get stuck.

Can you help with another question? I am having trouble with the power supply to my Sapphire Pulse RX580. I have a Corsair CX550M PSU which is semi modular. It has the braided cable bundle for mobo as usual, PCIe not included in that bundle. I have four modular connectors like this:
-CP-9020102-NA-Gallery-CX550M-06.png
The "6+2 PCI-E connector is not a standard connector so I purchased an original Corsair Type 4 PCI-E to standard 6+2 PCI-E cable. The connectors look like this
IMG_0336.jpegIMG_0337.jpeg

This fits, and I have connected the Type 4 to the PSU and the 6+2 to the GPU but when I boot the machine, the fans on the R580X spin through BIOS post and Clover, then when Mojave boots they stop spinning. The top connector is the Corsair Type 4 and I notice that one of the pins is empty. I have checked with Corsair support and they say this is correct.

Thanks so much for help

Thanks for your help. I am going to go with option 1, all new to me so will seek help in appropriate thread when I get stuck.

Can you help with another question? I am having trouble with the power supply to my Sapphire Pulse RX580. I have a Corsair CX550M PSU which is semi modular. It has the braided cable bundle for mobo as usual, PCIe not included in that bundle. I have four modular connectors like this:
View attachment 419481
The "6+2 PCI-E connector is not a standard connector so I purchased an original Corsair Type 4 PCI-E to standard 6+2 PCI-E cable. The connectors look like this
View attachment 419485View attachment 419487

This fits, and I have connected the Type 4 to the PSU and the 6+2 to the GPU but when I boot the machine, the fans on the R580X spin through BIOS post and Clover, then when Mojave boots they stop spinning. The top connector is the Corsair Type 4 and I notice that one of the pins is empty. I have checked with Corsair support and they say this is correct.

Thanks so much for help

Every power supply uses different pinouts for their connectors. Make sure that whatever cables you are using will work with your particular power supply.

Even among individual manufacturers, they may have different connector pinouts for different models of their power supplies.

View attachment 419481
View attachment 419485View attachment 419487

Thanks so much for help

Fan behavior is normal, even on real macs.

Fan behavior is normal, even on real macs.
Many thanks, I did some reading. I didn’t realise cooling was often passive on many of these new cards (showing my age!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back