Contribute
Register

Mojave post install questions (Asus Z370-A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
i7-8700k
Graphics
hd 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My past Hackintoshes have been X99 machines, using KGP's excellent X99 guides. This new box was much simpler, but now I find myself having to deal with stuff like SSDTs and such, and I'm a little at sea.

Here's a quick summary of the machine:

- i7-8700k, stock speeds
- Asus PRIME Z370-A motherboard
- 64GB (4x16GB) RAM
- HD audio disabled in BIOS (I use a USB DAC)
- Native Wifi/Bluetooth from OSXWIFI
- Samsung NVMe SSD
- currently using iGPU for video (Vega card on order)

I used Unibeast to make a Mojave installer, and was able to get the system installed (with working wifi/bluetooth) no drama. Before I start the whole dance of logging into the App Store &c. I want to make sure I won't have to do that twice. So I installed Clover (the latest version), and used the Clover Configurator to turn on iGPU injection, created a UUID and generated the serials for the system definition (iMac14,3? or ,2? whatever the default is?). System boots from the correct EFI partition and the iGPU is recognized.

I have two questions, that might turn into a hundred new questions!

1. I have 64GB of RAM in a 4x16GB configuration, but the system only sees 32GB. The RAM is fine -- it shows up in the BIOS, and in Windows 10 on the same machine. Is this an artifact of the system definition (iMac14,3)?
2. I have no idea how to do the SSDT dance to get all the various USB ports working correctly. Is there a step by step guide? Is there a ELIF for what, exactly, I'm doing when I edit those definition files?

If I don't have to change the system definition to see my full complement of RAM, I can start the log in process. But if I do need to make a change, what are the potential pitfalls? How involved a process is it? Are there any gotchas outstanding?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

1. I have 64GB of RAM in a 4x16GB configuration, but the system only sees 32GB. The RAM is fine -- it shows up in the BIOS, and in Windows 10 on the same machine. Is this an artifact of the system definition (iMac14,3)?

2. I have no idea how to do the SSDT dance to get all the various USB ports working correctly. Is there a step by step guide? Is there a ELIF for what, exactly, I'm doing when I edit those definition files?

Hi,
i'm currently also building a new system, based on ASUS Prime Z370-A, but i'm waiting for the CPU (damm, prices are much to high and not in stock). But the board was cheap, as now the Z390 boards arrives at the dealers.

I think we need to have iMac18,1 (or ,3) used for this chipset/board/cpu, and maybe you need to fill in the RAM-population in clover-config. If i remember right, there are sometimes issues with the auto detect.
Didy ou see the RAM with a linux boot stick

Regarding USB, there is a fantastic guide from RehabMan, just look out.

KR, steve

My past Hackintoshes have been X99 machines, using KGP's excellent X99 guides. This new box was much simpler, but now I find myself having to deal with stuff like SSDTs and such, and I'm a little at sea.

Here's a quick summary of the machine:

• i7-8700k, stock speeds
  • Asus PRIME Z370-A motherboard
  • 64GB (4x16GB) RAM
  • HD audio disabled in BIOS (I use a USB DAC)
  • Native Wifi/Bluetooth from OSXWIFI
  • Samsung NVMe SSD
  • currently using iGPU for video (Vega card on order)

I used Unibeast to make a Mojave installer, and was able to get the system installed (with working wifi/bluetooth) no drama. Before I start the whole dance of logging into the App Store &c. I want to make sure I won't have to do that twice. So I installed Clover (the latest version), and used the Clover Configurator to turn on iGPU injection, created a UUID and generated the serials for the system definition (iMac14,3? or ,2? whatever the default is?). System boots from the correct EFI partition and the iGPU is recognized.

If I don't have to change the system definition to see my full complement of RAM, I can start the log in process. But if I do need to make a change, what are the potential pitfalls? How involved a process is it? Are there any gotchas outstanding?

I'm on the same road now.
Did you get the machine 100 % working?
Would you share your config.Plist and your clover folder?

Tx
-a-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back