Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! However, given that the card is
supposed to work out-of-the-box, I'm rather concerned about the following:

Only required settings in config.plist required were

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>FBName</key>
<string>Dayman</string>. [NOT SURE IF THIS IS RIGHT AS I HAVE 2XDP, 2XDHMI, 1XDVI]
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<true/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>RadeonDeInit</key>
<true/>
</dict>

Does it just have to do with switching from NVidia to AMD? I've seen reports of successful updates with no further tinkering on an ASUS-made gaming edition of the RX570 here. I think it's called Strix. Can't seem to find that post now. Reckon the user was on AMD already when they updated?

P.S. Sapphire also sell a bunch of different models within the 570 series, that is, Nitro, Pulse, and so on. Does it matter?

Right, but later he said: "I don't use whatever green".

If you do use Lilu + WhateverGreen, you shouldn't have to anything else to get it running.

Right, but later he said: "I don't use whatever green".

If you do use Lilu + WhateverGreen, you shouldn't have to anything else to get it running.

Am I right in assuming that WEG is incompatible with IQSV? Just purchased a 4GB Sapphire RX570 Nitro+. Will chip in when I've tested it; someone here might be experiencing similar issues.

Last edited:
Beautiful card!

WEG and IQSV can co-exist peacefully, as long as you set the right ig-platform-id for your hardware. This will definitely help you do that: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

Ace! That guide looks rather complicated compared to what the person you referred to did with their config.plist. Are these two methods interchangeable in my case?

update: I now see WEG attends to a wider spectrum of issues, including protected video playback. Based on your experience, would you prefer it to the simple edits mentioned above?

Last edited:
Ace! That guide looks rather complicated compared to what the person you referred to did with their config.plist. Are these two methods interchangeable in my case?
Take some time to review the official thread and follow its advices. Essentially, you'll have to use one of the device-id and ig-platform-id suggested in this block:

Code:
Gen 4: Haswell (Intel HD Graphics 4200-5200)
- S/L/E/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext
- Support started with OS X 10.9.x
- device-id: 0x0D26 0x0A26 0x0A2E 0x0D22 0x0412
- AAPL,ig-platform-id (desktop): 0x0D220003 (default)
- AAPL,ig-platform-id (laptop): 0x0A160000 (default), 0x0A260005 (recommended)

Your transition to Mojave shouldn't be completely smooth. Expect to encounter some issues that you'll need to solve. You'll most certainly have to make some changes in your current config.plist.

Depending on your needs, you can either try upgrading to Mojave (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/unread) or performing a clean installation (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/).

EDIT
Based on my experience, WhateverGreen (which is a Lilu plugin, so don't forget to install it as well) does virtually everything for you. I just needed to set my device-id and ig-platform-id and the embedded GPU was working. Of course, assuming that your BIOS settings are correctly set.

Your transition to Mojave shouldn't be completely smooth

Is there an issue with my particular configuration? The first few participants in the upgrade thread appear to have had rather positive experiences

P.S. The integrated GPU is functional already, and so is ISQV. Are you saying those would have to be reconfigured in Mojave?

Last edited:
Is their an issue with my particular configuration? The first few participants in the upgrade thread appear to have had rather positive experiences
I don't know the specifics of your motherboard, but I think your hardware is pretty compatible and you should be OK to go. But, unless you are using the EFI folder of someone with the exact same configuration as yours, then you'll most likely have some minor issue - usually with USB ports. At least that has been my experience.

But don't be afraid: remember to backup your important files and give it a try. The threads I linked earlier are a good starting point.

Good to know! The machine's run Sierra very smooth so far. Virtually indistinguishable from a real 2013 iMac in daily use, it even scores better in benchmarks - due to a more powerful graphics card, I reckon.

But don't be afraid
Have no fear for the gurus are here, hehe.

Last edited:
Hullo! May I ask what apfs.efi is? I'm still on Sierra, which means HFS+ is the current file system.

P.S. The card turned out to be a Pulse and not a Nitro+, which is actually good since it's a tad less of a power hog than the latter. As time's rather tight at the minute, I'll give it a try a bit later.

P.S.2 I've cloned my Macintosh SSD partition to an external HDD using Carbon Copy Cloner. If I were to update the clone first so as to prevent compromising the main partition, would the latter be affected anyway? I'm asking because mounting the EFI partition on the clone seems to bring up the same EFI the main system is using.

I don't know the specifics of your motherboard, but I think your hardware is pretty compatible and you should be OK to go. But, unless you are using the EFI folder of someone with the exact same configuration as yours, then you'll most likely have some minor issue - usually with USB ports. At least that has been my experience.

But don't be afraid: remember to backup your important files and give it a try. The threads I linked earlier are a good starting point.

Hey-up,

the machine is up and running! The upgrade itself worked like a charm. The only thing I added was afps.efi, as I was upgrading from Sierra. I also removed Shiki and Lilu beforehand. Now, the issues are as follows:

- Some videos on Twitter and in the App Store may not play (HCI -> IMEI already applied). Same goes for iTunes videos.
- USB ports are acting up a tad, which is typical for Mojave. However, the guides I've found appear to have lost validity
- A handful of extra boot options, including Recovery, Install, and some others are present in Clover
- Can't update to the latest minor version (.4); the system re-boots and the screen remains black. Afterwards, macOS is booted as usual with no update installed
- Sleep is still acting up (no change from Sierra).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back