GA-EP45-UD3P - Rev. 1.0 - F4 - Clover
CPU
Q9650
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi All,

Following the guide [Success] Mojave on EP45-UD3L I've had a go with my own machine.

Hardware specs should be in the profile but just in case:
MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P with F4 BIOS
CPU: i7 Q9650
Gfx: Sapphire Pulse RADEON RX 570

Installation was successful after some attention to the display port - black screen seems a common issue, in my case solved by using the DP output (with HDMI adapter) - HDMI outputs not (yet) working.

Boots successfully in safe mode (flag -x) - no issues recognising gfx.
Boots to dark screen with cursor in regular boot (hitting enter prompts a gIOScreenLockState 3 error)
Single user boot doesn't get far at all and hangs at HID: Legacy shim 2 / AppleUSBHostResources

I've attached my EFI folder. It differs from that in the guide as I've tried a few different things and removed unnecessary kexts.

I've ran out of ideas so here I am. Appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.2 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Hi All,

Following the guide [Success] Mojave on EP45-UD3L I've had a go with my own machine.

Installation was successful after some attention to the display port - black screen seems a common issue, in my case solved by using the DP output (with HDMI adapter) - HDMI outputs not (yet) working.

Boots to dark screen with cursor in regular boot (hitting enter prompts a gIOScreenLockState 3 error)
Single user boot doesn't get far at all and hangs at HID: Legacy shim 2 / AppleUSBHostResources

I've attached my EFI folder. It differs from that in the guide as I've tried a few different things and removed unnecessary kexts.

Thanks,
Ian
I don't think RX 570 will work for your system since it requires SSE 4.2 to run on MacOS. The Q9650 does not support SSE 4.2. I suggest you find other compatible nvidia GPU.

Last edited:
I'll take back what I said above. You can actually get metal compatible AMD GPUs to work with CPUs with no SSE 4.2 support by using SSE 4.2 Emulation kext called MouSSE from the MacRumor Forum. I have tried it and can confirm that it works including hardware encode/decode.

Reported Success.

Edit: Mousse kext(Version 0.38) may not work properly on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 or below.

Last edited:
I'll take back what I said above. You can actually get metal compatible AMD GPUs to work with CPUs with no SSE 4.2 support by using SSE 4.2 Emulation kext called MouSSE from the MacRumor Forum. I have tried it and can confirm that it works including hardware encode/decode.

That is interesting. But that thing has not been updated since October 2019, does this workaround cause any instabilities on say 10.14.6?

Last edited:
That is interesting. But that thing has not been updated since October 2019, does this workaround cause any instabilities on say 10.14.6?
So far, so good. I haven't encountered any issues yet. CPU usage is normal and hardware decode/encode is working so I did some BruceX 5K benchmark in FCPX which resulted in average of 22~23 seconds. So yeah, only the positive side of it, i have seen.

ccf94c6d854a336827276c3503f263b6.png

Last edited:
Just found out today that I get no screen via HDMI port and DVI port. Only two DP port works for now. Tried some tweaks that had been suggested by others without a success. But I did find something interesting and that is power consumption reading of my RX 580. Without the FrameBuffer specified in config.plist, HWMonitorSMC2's shows around 80~90W on idle. But when the FrameBuffer is set to Orinoco, HWMonitorSMC2 shows around 30W on idle and immediately goes back up to 80~90W when I connect more than two monitors even though no screen is displayed. As per this article, RX 580's power consumption does increase by x3 when multi monitor is connected.

Edit: I can now get all 5 ports to work via using FrameBuffer Patching. Patching FrameBuffer itself was not good enough to get all 5 ports to work at the same time. But it did enable one of the HDMI port. However, if two HDMI ports are connected to the monitors, other two monitors(DP&HDMI) begins to show artifacts and third monitor(HDMI) is black. DVI port displays pink screen. The workaround was very simple though. That is to manually put the system to sleep and upon waking it up, All 4 of the monitors outputs proper screen with no artifacts or black screen. But first, in Orinoco framebuffer patching, I had to set the order of connector activation to 0 for all 5 ports.

As for DVI port pinkscreen issue, in framebuffer patching, changing connector type from DVI to HDMI and using DVI to HDMI cable fixed that issue.

Guide for FrameBuffer Patching

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Ian

Hi I have successfully installed Mojave on the same board with your EFI folder (THANKS!!!) and a gt610 graphic card. The only thing different is the processor is not a q9560 but a q9550. Can you help me out to adjust the settings in your EFI dir ? I think I need to change the ACPI DSDTs settings but I am not wise enough to accomplish that on my own..... Many thanks if you want to have a look at it already.

Thanks, Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back