Contribute
Register

Mojave on Biostar TH55HD Socket 1156 / NVidia 9800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Removing _PRW methods from EHCx does prevent instant wake, but it also prevents any wake. Still looking for a way to wake from sleep without having to cold-boot with power button.

Installed a Xeon X3480 CPU. No system changes required and SpeedStep/CPU Power Mgmt still works perfectly. New CPU multipliers range from 9x to 28x (up from 9x to 24x with the Xeon X3450). Geekbench scores with Xeon X3480 (without TH55HD overclock enabled) are attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 12.13.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 12.13.29 AM.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I enabled the TH55HD motherboard's automated overclocking (no-brainer, doesn't require any config changes). This old system is definitely worthy of a graphics solution for Mojave.

During software builds, it's not unusual to see this system clocking each core at 28x multiplier / 4.06 GHz.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 2.35.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 2.35.33 PM.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 2.41.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 2.41.48 PM.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Tried enabling "USB Wake from S3/S4" in BIOS and "zeroing" the return values of _PRW in EHCx and UHCx in DSDT. System still wakes immediately if a USB device is plugged in to one of the ports. With no devices in any USB ports, the system sleeps, but I can't wake it.

log show --style syslog --start "2019-02-08" | fgrep "Wake reason" shows no wake reasons.

Thanks for your post. Your experience may help me too.

Since 2 days I try to get my MSI H55m-E33 Board with an i3-530 and Intel Graphics to either boot
  • the Mojave installer what got stuck with "This version if Mac OSX is not supported on this platform! Reason: Mac-F2238AC8"
  • or to boot High Sierra Installer what got stuck with "Please switch to XPC..."
Can you do me a favor and upload your EFI folder as zip with everything included? This may help me for a new boot test.

EDIT: My full debug is now attached to post #1 in this thread.

Last edited:
Just upgraded my memory from 8GB to 16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 after observing (in Activity Monitor) that my software builds used 100% of available 8GB memory. Software build times have improved (reduced) dramatically! This old clunker is FAST. Total upgrade cost of this system was $138 (starting with old motherboard that I purchased from NewEgg as openbox for $50 in 2010, old Power Supply, Old Case, old GeForce 9800GT 1GB Video Card and old 8GB (2x4GB) Crucial Balistix Tactical DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 LP RAM): 256GB SSD for $50, XEON X3480 for $63 and 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 Crucial Balistix Tactical LP RAM upgrade for $25).

The cost of the RADEON RX card to upgrade to Mojave will be well worth it.

EDIT: I sold my Xeon X3480 for what I paid for it and am running with an overclocked X3450 that was $20 or less on eBay. System upgrade cost (for added SSD, memory and CPU) is now only $95. And now that I no longer need AMD graphics to run Mojave, this system is quite a bargain!

Last edited:
Hows it going with this system? Im starting a new build this weekend with a GA H55M-UD2H board and an X3470, and 750ti. DO you have bluetooth, wifi, etc all working?

Hows it going with this system? Im starting a new build this weekend with a GA H55M-UD2H board and an X3470, and 750ti. DO you have bluetooth, wifi, etc all working?
My system is fantastic. I suspect that you'll have an easier time installing MacOS on your Gigabyte motherboard than I did on my Biostar motherboard, since it seems that most DSDT patches and discussion forums are for Gigabyte. Everything works for me except sleep (as mentioned previously in this thread). My motherboard doesn't have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Running with Model MacPro 5,1 was the key to making this system "Vanilla." If you look at my config.plist, you'll see that I needed very few CLOVER options after I edited my DSDT.

I think I may be closer to resolving the Wake from Sleep problem with my Biostar TH55HD Motherboard / MacPro 5,1 / High Sierra. This motherboard has separate jumpers for +5VDC in Standby mode for the front and rear-panel USB ports. The factory position for the jumpers was "OFF" (no power to USB during Standby). I changed both jumpers to enable +5VDC during standby. This jumper change fixes the "Instant Wake" problem (my system now remains asleep when I have "USB Wake from S3/S4" enabled in BIOS and a USB device is plugged into a USB port).

Now, I can sleep from MacOS and wake my system from sleep by clicking USB mouse button. The only problem now is that instead of resuming from sleep, the system reboots on wake. Now, I'll try various darkwake settings again. Note that I still cannot wake with PS/2 devices (can't wake with PS/2 keyboard or mouse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back