Contribute
Register

Mojave on ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE 5/17/19

ASRock Z390 Phantom-Gaming ITX - SFF Build Using iGPU
SUCCESS: THUNDERBOLT 3 Works

Suggested to start new thread, so moved to: here.

Last edited:
As for the USB section, I provided an image to show that I chose not to use the USB ports beneath the Ethernet port: HS09/SS06. On the boot page of the Clover config file, I further eliminated via uia_exclude the following: HS07;HS08;HS09;HS10;HS11;HS12;HS13;SS05;SS06;USR1;USR2. The WiFi/BT unit uses HS14. My active USB list is thus: HS01, HS02, HS03, HS04, HS05, HS06, HS14, SS01, SS02, SS03, SS04, SS07, SS08, SS09, SS10. SSP1 and SSP2 are not include in the 15 USB limit and are associated with TB3. SS10 seems to be a USB-C for the case front (labelling on mobo to follow).

I have not yet placed the board into a case, so I've not yet tested the internal USB 3 header, but I have used the internal USB 2 header and marked it in an attached image (HS01/HS02).
Nice work.

Regarding USB, to complete your list, on a USB3 header:
HS10,SS07 is the first one
HS11,SS08 is the second one.

It would be nice if you could post also the respective .dsl files (the .aml can of course be decompiled, but its always nice to have the source).

Edit: apparently I wrote initially SS10 by mistake, so I corrected the information above.

Last edited:
Regarding USB, to complete your list, on a USB3 header:
HS10,SS10 is the first one
HS11,SS08 is the second one.

It would be nice if you could post also the respective .dsl files (the .aml can of course be decompiled, but its always nice to have the source).

Thanks for the USB3 header info; I updated the mobo image. I'll upload the *.dsl files soon, but only the USB-UIAC file will have any comments.

@rj510
Cool, seems like you've pretty much got everything working!

I did a lot more research for my build and came to the conclusion that my life might be easier if I go for an mATX board instead of mini ITX...

I'm currently settled on the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene, which probably is overkill for my needs but it would look beautiful in my Phanteks tempered glass case and give me an extra PCIe slot for a Firewire card like you suggested.

That's the thing I guess, the only hardware I would ever need to hook up on TB3 would be an Apollo card and I just recently left UADs ecosystem behind and doubt I'll start using their products again in the near future.

This seems like a safer bet since a dedicated PCIe Firewire card should hopefully give me working Firewire :mrgreen:

@rj510

This seems like a safer bet since a dedicated PCIe Firewire card should hopefully give me working Firewire :mrgreen:

In the Aorus build, I used a FireWire board (Vantec FW 800/400; model UGT-FW210) and it integrated just fine in either of the PCIe-x1 slots, requiring no special drivers (I sourced locally, but I've seen them at Amazon).

If you go with a Firewire card, CaseySJ had this suggestion:
If you have installed a Firewire PCIe card and find that your computer does not shutdown, then you can try this fix:
  • In the ACPI section of Clover Configurator, enable the checkbox for FixFirewire.
  • Save the file and reboot.
full

Thanks to @victor.vhv for this tip!

Updated my post above. TB3 now seems to be fully working as are all other features on this mobo. I've now added BIOS settings as well as all extraneous files (config.plist, kexts, UEFI files and SSDTs to make it all work).

thanks for the detailed writeup @rj510 !

I just installed 10.14.5 on this board + i5 9400 + pulse RX580
SMBIOS imac19,1

had kernel panics on shutdown, adding EmuVariableUEFI and 'slide=0' seems to have fixed it.

my igpu is not recognized, going to try this solution:

excited to try out your thunderbolt3 ssdt after that @rj510 !

Last edited:
thanks for the detailed writeup @rj510 !

I just installed 10.14.5 on this board + i5 9400 + pulse RX580
SMBIOS imac19,1

had kernel panics on shutdown, adding EmuVariableUEFI and 'slide=0' seems to have fixed it.

my igpu is not recognized, going to try this solution:

excited to try out your thunderbolt3 ssdt after that @rj510 !

I did not mention, but as you found out, EmuVariableUEFI is useful to get past the panics and once iCloud and FaceTime are working, this file can be removed. As for the iGPU, I use it leaving the PCIe slot empty. Also the BIOS needs to show that the iGPU is being used, not the PCIe slot and need to bottom of the same window, that the iGPU is 'enabled' (see the BIOS uploads in my post). Also, I only used the i9 9900K chip and don't know what frame buffer changes you might need for the Clover config file. If you can get the iGPU going, try using Hackingtool to create the proper frame buffer for your i5.

EmuVariable is required for this (and most other Z390 boards), as the BIOSes for these boards (which are based on a newer version of AMI Aptio) are not (yet) compatible with Aptio*MemoryFix in regards to nvram writing - so native nvram does not work under OSX.

When OSX reboots or shuts down the NVRAM content is being written. Without EmuVariable, the board's native nvram is trying to be accessed for writing, which results in a panic.

What do you mean that it can be removed? It will be possible to remove EmuVariable only when AptioMemoryFix will add nvram write support for the newer boards, which, as far as I know, is not yet being done.

Last edited:
EmuVariable is required for this (and most other Z390 boards), as the BIOSes for these boards (which are based on a newer version of AMI Aptio) are not (yet) compatible with Aptio*MemoryFix in regards to nvram writing - so native nvram does not work under OSX.

When OSX reboots or shuts down the NVRAM content is being written. Without EmuVariable, the board's native nvram is trying to be accessed for writing, which results in a panic.

What do you mean that it can be removed? It will be possible to remove EmuVariable only when AptioMemoryFix will add nvram write support for the newer boards, which, as far as I know, is not yet being done.

I've been routinely running with the following (see image), without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and I've had no panics, at least with Mojave 14.5. (I did run Clover_v2.4k_r4920.pkg on my boot drive to install RC scripts.)

Some of my readings have suggested that using EmuVariableUefi-64.efi can lead to panics. I've only noticed that without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, I could not initially get iCloud and FaceTime to work. But that once these apps were functional, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi seemed superfluous: I noticed nothing different either when it was present or removed.

In any event, I'll add it back into my uploaded folder to those who may need it.

Attachments

• ASRock_uefi_folder.jpg
    ASRock_uefi_folder.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 200
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back