Contribute
Register

Mojave on ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT UPDATE TO P4.00
I cannot revert the BIOS to 1.6 or lower.
Do you have Windows installed too? I upgraded to 4.0 and was able to get it back to 1.2. While in Windows, I downgraded to 1.6 then to 1.3. After that, I was able to get to 1.2 by flashing it from a flash drive in setup. I did it late last night so I can’t remember if I went directly from 1.6 to 1.3 or if I went 1.6 to 1.5 and then 1.3
I hope this helps.

Do you have Windows installed too? I upgraded to 4.0 and was able to get it back to 1.2. While in Windows, I downgraded to 1.6 then to 1.3. After that, I was able to get to 1.2 by flashing it from a flash drive in setup. I did it late last night so I can’t remember if I went directly from 1.6 to 1.3 or if I went 1.6 to 1.5 and then 1.3
I hope this helps.

Let me know how you get on with this. I do the problem is not the BIOS but instead the Microcode upgrade done to the processor. There is no microcode downgrade option available from ASRock so if you do downgrade the BIOS you could have microcode compatibility problems.

I intended to use a GTX 1080 so I wanted High Sierra.
A installation using UniBeast only showed errors in -v.
In frustration I just copied someone else’s EFI from github with about the same hardware with different GPU it kinda worked after Nvidia web driver installed. In short, BIOS update does not seem to be a problem but I assume users in tonymacX86 are dependent on UniBeast. So I still recommend not to update BIOS before or even after installing macOS.

I hope this helps.

I did the downgrade using this method (thanks for the tip). I downgraded directly from 4.0 to 1.2 bringing my installation back to life.

For all guys with problems on the new Asrock BIOSes (for this board, and for other Asrock boards), add in Clover's config.plist,
under ACPI\DSDT\Patches the following patch (I already posted my patch in the General Z390 thread):
Code:
        <dict>
          <key>Comment</key>
          <string>Fix AsRock Z390 BIOS DSDT Device(RTC) bug</string>
          <key>Disabled</key>
          <false/>
          <key>Find</key>
          <data>
          oAqTU1RBUwE=
          </data>
          <key>Replace</key>
          <data>
          oAqRCv8L//8=
          </data>
        </dict>

The problem his an uninitialized variable in Device(RTC) that makes OSX DSDT parser freak out.
I am quite sure AsRock will eventually fix this, but for now, it is a usable solution.
Can you tell me how you found a solution?

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I'm about to build my very first Hackintosh and have decided to go with the ASRock Z390 ITX since it seems to be ticking all the boxes for me while staying small enough for the entire build to be placed on my desk.

This build will be my main system for music production and it is absolutely necessary that I can run my firewire enabled analog mixing desk with this build.

Since there is only one PCIe slot on this board which the GPU will occupy, this entire build stands or falls on the functionality of the Thunderbolt 3 port. I'm currently using an adapter to get from TB2->FW800 and a cable for FW800->FW400 and all is working in Mojave on a 2014 MacBook Pro and people are reporting that Apple's TB3->TB2 dongle works with this specific mixer so as long as I can get TB3 working I should be fine.

I see that one guy was able to connect his UAD Apollo sound card with TB3 on this board, anyone else that can confirm it to be working? And is there any strange limitation on PC builds that makes TB3 not be able to get converted to Firewire?

Thank you all for answers and I'm very excited to be a new member of this awesome community! :)

Have you already purchased the motherboard? If not, do some more research, there are problems with the latest BIOS on Asrock boards. Check if it is possible to downgrade the BIOS if necessary.

Last edited:
@Sandgroper,
I just purchased this mobo (for a SFF build) and it came loaded with v1.5. I easily downgraded it to v1.2 (downloaded from the ASRock site).

@pineapplebird,
I'm about to start working on the TB3 issue for my UAD Apollo; so far, it's not working out of the box. On other mobos (it's not clear to me regarding the ASRock Z390 Phantom itx), built-in TB3 cannot directly connect to TB2 or TB1 (it's a problem with Intel). Instead, these mobos require a TB3 dock to act as an interface between the TB3 on mobo and the TB2 device. Such is the case for the Gigabyte Designare Z390 (see CaseySJ's elegant build here; there's a listing with various docks that work at the start of the thread).

Another option for you, depending on your graphic speed needs, is using the iGPU for your monitor (it nicely does 4K), which would then leave the PCIe slot for an inexpensive FireWire card (at least one is also posted on CaseySJ's thread).

Last edited:
Motherboard came with v1.5 and downgraded to v1.20, but it kept rebooting when loading the installer. Checked the last error message is

"localhost: com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] <Error>: rc.cdrom: signaled: Killed: 9"

Did anyone have the same issue and resolved? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back