CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone!
I'm having trouble installing Mojave on my HDD:
My Mojave installation freezes at 2 minutes left. The mouse pointer frozen, I've left it for 30 minutes, but no luck :/
CPU: I5 8400
Mother: Asus ROG STRIX B360-G GAMING
GPU: Sapphire Rx 580 4GB NITRO

IMG_20181018_185738~01.jpg

I already did it, format my disk (apfs) from the terminal. On disk utility shows like apfs but still not working
On disk utility shows like apfs but still not working
What is not working?
You seem to be talking to yourself and not communicating clearly with readers of your post on this Mojave Desktop Support Forum.
If you want to economize on words in your posted message, you will get responses in the same way; they won't be very useful to you or readers of this thread.

I am attempting a fresh install on my Hack II configuration (see build details below) and am encountering the IDENTICAL problem. I formatted my Samsung 1TB EVO 860 SSD as APFS (unencrypted), then selected that drive (named "Mojave") as the target for the Mojave install.

At precisely 2 minutes remaining, I encounter the same error as the OP, namely:

osinstallersetupd[599]: disk23s1 is not convertible to APFS: You may not install to this volume because it can not be converted to Apple File System (APFS).

I then restarted the install process by booting from the USB stick, using Disk Utility to format the target drive as HFS+ (thinking that the Mojave installer would perform the conversion), and I get the identical error.

I also get the same additional two lines "Tried to remove quarantine bit..." and "Failed to open file..." as depicted in the OP's screen photo.

Any ideas??

UPDATE: I added apfs.efi (version 10.14) to my /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ folder, to no avail. I also made certain my WiFi connection was active and connected, and tried formatting my SSD to APFS and named Machintosh HD. No joy.

UPDATE #2: I've abandoned trying to install Mojave, and instead used my High Sierra rescue USB stick to start fresh there. I've gotten a lot further (at least HS is well past the APFS issue), and I'll just plan to do an online update once I've gotten HS set up and running.

UPDATE #3: Well, trying High Sierra got me further, but ultimately nowhere. The installer hung at about 75%. I'll next try installing Mojave on the SSD using a REAL iMac, plop that into my Hack II, boot with the USB EFI, and try MultiBeast to get a standalone bootable system. Stay tuned...

UPDATE #4: My attempt above failed miserably, so I went back to a HS install, starting from absolute scratch. More to follow...

IN CLOSING: I finally got HS installed using the standard USB stick procedure. Getting things stable there, and will do an app-store update to Mojave. I never could figure out why the APFS "conversion" failure happened. I even tried a standard HDD, and got the same failure. Oh well.

Last edited:
Did you ever manage to fix this? I have exactly the same issues.

I had the 2 mins freezing with OS Mojave but it was resolved in an interesting manner so I have decided to share with other posters who might have the same problems.

I followed the instructions using the Unibeastic installation guide.

First I Installed using a Kingston USB and changed several brands thinking that it was the USB. I even tried an SSD and still experienced the same problems. I even updated my Bios but that did not help. After three days of fiddling around, I realized that it was installing but froze for an unknown reason at the end of installation and just did not reboot as a normal Mac would do.

Here is the solution:

Install Mojave using the created Unibeast USB. No additional Clover drivers were used.

Boot up as described on the installation guide and proceeded to disk utility and partitioned my NVME SSD as Mac OSX Journaled and named it Mac SSD.

As usual it gets stuck at 2 mins remaining during installation. I let it sit like that for about ten mins and the mouse froze and nothing happened.

I powered then off the computer and rebooted again and this time selected the Install for Preboot option and the installation will start for the second phase of installation.

The Installation will freeze again with less than one minute remaining during the second phase of Installation. I let is sit for an hour just in case files are still installing.

I then powered on back the computer and it would show different boot options, I selected the Mac SSD that I installed the OS on and the computer booted up.

At this point, proceed to install Multibeast and based on your computer, select your boot loader and other drivers as required. Reboot and Computer boots normally.

I will just have to tweak the following:

Sleep, does not work
No sound

Any help with sound and sleep will be appreciated. I probably chose the wrong option for sound and sleep during the Multibeast install.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any issue with a freezing mouse, I also have a solution.

Here is that bad boy in green in my data recovery lab:

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 369
Last edited:
I had the 2 mins freezing with OS Mojave but it was resolved in an interesting manner so I have decided to share with other posters who might have the same problems.

[...]
I had the same issue about freeze 2min before end of first installation progress (when still booting from installer on USB key) and this helped me finish macOS Mojave installation! I was always booting installer with verbose mode and no automatic reboot on KP and noticed that sometimes (not always) it would not display kernel panic logs after a freeze. So I did as you said, I gave it a bit of time and continued with installation by booting from target drive, which correctly finished on second try.

Now I've a fully installed macOS Mojave. For now I'm still struggling to find which kext/efi/clover setup it needs to properly run with everything enabled, but at least I can get it to boot :)

NB: I'm using i7 8700k with Z390 mobo

Last edited:

I followed the instructions using the Unibeastic installation guide.

First I Installed using a Kingston USB and changed several brands thinking that it was the USB. I even tried an SSD and still experienced the same problems. I even updated my Bios but that did not help. After three days of fiddling around, I realized that it was installing but froze for an unknown reason at the end of installation and just did not reboot as a normal Mac would do.

Here is the solution:

Install Mojave using the created Unibeast USB. No additional Clover drivers were used.

Boot up as described on the installation guide and proceeded to disk utility and partitioned my NVME SSD as Mac OSX Journaled and named it Mac SSD.

As usual it gets stuck at 2 mins remaining during installation. I let it sit like that for about ten mins and the mouse froze and nothing happened.

I powered then off the computer and rebooted again and this time selected the Install for Preboot option and the installation will start for the second phase of installation.

The Installation will freeze again with less than one minute remaining during the second phase of Installation. I let is sit for an hour just in case files are still installing.

I then powered on back the computer and it would show different boot options, I selected the Mac SSD that I installed the OS on and the computer booted up.

At this point, proceed to install Multibeast and based on your computer, select your boot loader and other drivers as required. Reboot and Computer boots normally.

I will just have to tweak the following:

Sleep, does not work
No sound

Any help with sound and sleep will be appreciated. I probably chose the wrong option for sound and sleep during the Multibeast install.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any issue with a freezing mouse, I also have a solution.

Here is that bad boy in green in my data recovery lab:

having the same problem as everyone with last 2 min crash. after the crash i booted with the USB again and boot using the drive that i installed Mojave on. look like it will continue installing Mojave if u keep booting into the same drive. everytime there is a change. if u pay more attention to the screen and if u see it's diff my guess was the installation is trying to finish. it did crash about 4 time and it rebooted itself but continue boot up the same drive to finish the installation. i m now finish the installation running 10.14.2

Computer : Dell inspiron AIO 3654
Spec : I3-7100u 7th gen (Kaby Lake) Intel 630 ADATA SU650 128SSD
Wifi : BCM94350ZAE/DW1820A
Clover : 4674
Boot image : Apple store download 10.14.2
Unibeast 9.0.0

the only change i add was the DELL SMBios. wifi work out of the box but it did not work at user setup. but once u see the desktop after the installation u will see the wifi searching for network. the installation was done with HFS+J and it did convert to AAFS itself when u see the 12min count down. dark mode work. power on/off work

i m totally new to this. how do i find the code for my hardware ? how do u install clover on my boot SSD ? i used multibeast 11.0.1and it crashed. i have to reinstall everything again

@micgo, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card(s).
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back