Contribute
Register

Mojave Installation Issue - ASUS Maximus XI Hero II Z390

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Z390 Maximus XI with i9-9900k and Vega 64 GPU. I have been pulling all my hair out, I think I will be bald soon. I have followed your steps (I get it that our motherboards are different) and I managed to get to a stage where GPU goes black screen and never comes back but I can see that its still on. :(

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. What version of the Vega 64 are you using? (Asus, Gigabyte, etc.)
2. What is the port configuration on the card and how many of each? (HDMI, DP, etc.)
3. Are you using the latest version of lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext?
4. What symbios are you using?
5. What version of Clover Bootloader are you currently using?

-Kyle

I have been trying different version EFI folders because I have been trying this for the past week now. Tired of creating boot USB installers.

ASUS Rog Vega 64
X16 speed to the CPU
I have tried latest version with different bios settings as well.
Tried SMBIOS 19.1 - 18.3 - 18.1 - 14.2
Clover 4586 to 4988

BIOS V1105 by the way.

I have been trying different version EFI folders because I have been trying this for the past week now. Tired of creating boot USB installers.

ASUS Rog Vega 64
X16 speed to the CPU
Clover 4586 to 4988

BIOS V1105 by the way.

Okay, the first thing I'll have you try is this:

1. I've attached a screenshot of a DSDT Patch called "Z390 Fix". Apply that fix, restart, and see if it helps. If not, we can try something else.

-Kyle

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 1.56.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 1.56.07 PM.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 144
The attached zip file contains my EFI file. I've removed my SMBIOS Serial Number and SmUUID which you can regenerate using Clover Configurator on the config.plist.

Under the Acpi section is a patch - "ACPI Patch" that was required for me to get through the macOS booter without hanging.

The EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder contains USBPorts.kext which sets up my USB ports. I disabled board ports 03, 04, and 05 in BIOS (Advanced Menu/USB Configuration/USB Port Disable Override) in order to keep under the 15 port limit, and activate two USB ports on my case, and the rest of the MB ports.

Thank you very much for that zip file!

ASUS Rog Vega 64
X16 speed to the CPU
Clover 4586 to 4988

BIOS V1105 by the way.
vstylez, I have the same MB and BIOS Version 1105 won’t boot, had to restore back to 1005

vstylez, I have the same MB and BIOS Version 1105 won’t boot, had to restore back to 1005
I cannot even install on 1005. Do you mind sharing your EFI please. I am willing to wipe everything and start afresh at this point. Please please.

I cannot even install on 1005. Do you mind sharing your EFI please. I am willing to wipe everything and start afresh at this point. Please please.

Have you tried this? It worked for me!

vstylez my rig doesn't have a mapped & configured USB ssdt the signal drops to the mouse and it's glitchy. When I click and drag something the pointer loses connection and drops and/or a gesture happens that expands whatever I am clicking near. I have NEVER understood any of the tutorials to configure the USBs to 15. I need help and a step by step solution.

Also you can download 1005 from ASUS page and place it on a blank usb and do the "BIOS FLASHBACK BUTTON" while the drive is inserted in the "BIOS" usb2.0 socket next to it on a restart.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm brand new to the world of Hackintosh and PC Building in general. I have the parts listed below in my system and have been trying for months to get it to boot Mojave with no luck. I recently found this thread and it has been incredibly helpful by describing issues with this particular hardware (which I too am having issue with), but my unfamiliarity with these different programs and customization have left me overwhelmed. I'm hoping someone can walk me through a more customized guide to make my system work, since I'm having to stray off the path of conventional guides for these unique hardware issues without knowing what I'm doing. I'll list below the steps I've tried and the results of them.

my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 280 94.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB M.2-2280 NVMe Solid State Drive
Case: be quiet! Dark Base 700 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

These parts are intended to also be included, but are not installed until the system can boot:
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB M.2-2280 NVMe Solid State Drive
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 580 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card
Custom: JIUWU External 1394B PCIe Card Firewire 800 IEEE1394B PCI Express

I should also mention that my BIOS is version 1005, which some posters here say worked for them.

-I first attempted to use UniBeast and MultiBeast from a guide on the tonymacx86 website titled:
unibeast-install-macos-mojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381
(I'm not posting complete links because I've posted this 6 times and it keeps being deleted for "advertising" hopefully the description is enough for it to be found)

I've created the boot drive several times, in different combinations of UEFI and Legacy, and only gotten the error message:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Based on the guide, I did the following to my BIOS:
  1. To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
    BIOS is automatic
  2. Load Optimized Defaults
    Done
  3. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
    Done by default, verified
  4. If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
    Done by default, verified
  5. If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
    Deleted secure boot keys to disable it.
  6. Set OS Type to Other OS
    Done
  7. If your system has IO Serial Port, disable it
    Either I do not have this, or cannot find it in any settings.
  8. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
    Done
  9. If you have a 6 series or x58 system with AWARD BIOS, disable USB 3.0
    I don’t think this applies to me
  10. Save and exit.
    Done

I also tried enabling the CSM to get boot priorities and overrides in all combinations, but these haven't gotten me any further.

-After I found this post, I started attempting to use Clover and Clover Configurator based on another site.

I couldn't install Clover on my MacBook Air, and I realized it was supposed to go onto the USB. Once loaded there, I tried to use the Configurator to add the ACPI Fix, as copied from NCMacGuy 's ZIP (Thanks!). This got me a new error:

boot0af: error

I followed this guide to solve it from insanelymac.com, but it just started in legacy mode with no drive detected.
301255-how-to-fix-the-boot0af-error-using-clover

-As far as what to do next, I would like to try using the code that SOH posted (Also Thanks!), but am unsure of where and how to use it in the configurator, even with Kylex427 's brief guide (Thanks as well!). I've also read the fixes posted by mifjpn (Thanks!), but it seems like these apply to different hardware. The most likely fix would be to use NCMacGuy 's zip verbatim, but I'm afraid that their other changes might not match with my system's specs. I'm trying to do the bare minimum of changes in order to make it work, to avoid causing some irreversible damage or changes in my system, since I don't fully understand what I'm doing.

Now that I am straying from guides and trying to mix and match suggestions and patches from different advice sources without having any idea of what it is I'm doing, I'm a bit overwhelmed. I can provide any more information if anyone here is willing and able to help me with customized steps for this machine. Please let me know what you need (and most likely some brief steps on how I can get it for you.)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back