Contribute
Register

Mojave install usb boot halts at gIOScreenLockState on a X299-deluxe, i7-7800X and STRIX RX Vega 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
PRIME X299-DELUXE - F3105
CPU
i7-7800X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my first post here, so excuse me if I'm doing it wrong..

I'm following Kgp's "Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave" guide for a few nights now but with no success so far.[/SIZE]

I've created the install usb for my system like this.
  1. Downloaded the EFI-X299-10.14.1-Release-iMacPro1,1-311018.zip (The EFI folder)
  2. Created SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 Serial Number, Board Serial Number and SMUUID entries in clover
  3. Cloned TSCAdjustReset and made a TSCAdjustReset.kext with IOCPUNumber = 11 (reflecting 12 threads) and moved it to 'other'
  4. I've also added SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext to 'other' and have both LAN ports enabled.
  5. Created an install usb using UniBeast.
  6. Replaced the UniBeast efi folder with the one I've made.
  7. "PluginType" in config.plist under SSDT/Generate Options/ in Section ACPI is enabled
I have carefully done the ASUS BIOS Configuration.

When I try to boot the screen goes black after I se the gIOScreenLockState message.

I'm beginning to suspect that my choice of Vega 64 card (STRIX RX Vega 64) was a bad one. Kgp mentions somewhere that it should work, and maybe it will with a lot of work. Maybe it's best to return it and get the Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64 instead ?

If anyone has any idea of what to do please tell me.

Download: EFI folder
Download: bios setting (text file with changed values in bold)

This is how the rather short boot process ended it's miserable life:

boot-halts.JPG

Last edited:
You are missing Lilu and whatevergreen kexts in your EFI Folder. Start there.

Thank's for the quick response! :thumbup:

I thought I would only need those kexts for the post install....

In desperation I used a fresh Unibeast Install usb, and it worked! (Without Lilu/whatevergreen)
However, when I got to the macOS installer everything was really sloOoW and laggy, but it was still possible to install.

On rebooting from my internal drive to complete the installation, the screen went black for a while and the fans from the Vega 64 was really loud. But in the end I ended up with a “working” system (without wi-fi, audio, bluetooth etc.).

After that I ruined my installation doing post install….:lol:

I then manipulated the Unibeast usb a little by adding some kexts:

kexts.png

This worked perfectly, No problem installing at all! :D

There are some interesting differences between KGP's drivers64UEFI folder an the Unibeast one:

drivers64UEFI.png

Especially the AppleImageCodec vs AppleImageLoader - are they the same ?
I wonder what is the difference that makes the Unibeast work ?

My graphics card obviously work now, but the fans starts whirling at rather high speeds a little while after boot.:(
Will this fix itself if I follow KGP’s post install procedure, or will I need to do something special ?

Sometimes you can take multiple ways to get to the same place, and it will work. I am sorry to tell you though that you are making your trip harder than it has to be. You are going to start running into problems that will be hard to correct unless you follow what @kgp does exactly.

The 1st thing that you will run into is trying to follow his post install procedures. A lot of his post install procedures rely on the work he has put into making the EFI Folder he supplies. The config.plist is tailored to allow you to easily follow his post installation procedures.

The main issue you will have from now on will be starting with the wrong foundation. The Unibeast install USB drive is now working for you, but you are going to have to do a lot to get it to match up with KGP EFI. You can put the work in and make it match, or you can start from scratch and make a vanilla Mojave Bootable USB key, install Clover on to the USB Key and replace the EFI folder on that Bootable USB key with KGP's EFI Folder. Then you can re-install TSCAdjustReset, Lilu and Whatevergreen into your new EFI Folder. If you computer can boot with this new USB Boot Key, then you can copy the EFI folder to your Computer's EFI partition. Then start following KGP post-install procedure guide.

Especially the AppleImageCodec vs AppleImageLoader - are they the same ?
No they are not. From What I found AppleImageLoader is needed for ApfsDriverLoader to work properly. AppleImageCodec has to do with FileVault 2.

I hope this helps you. Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back