Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2-USB3.1
CPU
I7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi all,

Looking for a hand on getting the macOS to finalize loading. I have followed the steps here (LINK) Steps 1-3 went perfect.
Step 4 : I followed the instructions to reformat drive and selected it to install the OS to. It went through the first loader and then restarted as in Step 4.6.5.

It get to the progress bar that says 15 min remaining, it restarts to the thumb drive - I select the new formatted SSD - then it boots (apple logo with progress bar ) then gets to the attached image and does nothing for about 2 min before restarting itself.

I'm not sure if there are any boot args I'm supposed to be using but have been researching and trying options all day. I have unplugged the GPU and the 10gb ethernet cable to get over some issues in the initial installer. Should I try with them back in?

I also am slightly confused about the Clover Boot loaded. Some people are talking about the config file. My EFI folder has no file currently and to my understanding this is edited in the next step when you actually get the OS fully installed correct? Should I download the clover Boot loaded on the actual apple computer and set something up for this install?

New Comp Build:
MoBo: Gigabyte Z390 M LGA1151
CPU: Intel i7 9700k
GPU: Saphire RX 5700 8gb
Ram: 32GB DDR4 3600MHz

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 53
Hi all,

Looking for a hand on getting the macOS to finalize loading. I have followed the steps here (LINK) Steps 1-3 went perfect.
Step 4 : I followed the instructions to reformat drive and selected it to install the OS to. It went through the first loader and then restarted as in Step 4.6.5.

It get to the progress bar that says 15 min remaining, it restarts to the thumb drive - I select the new formatted SSD - then it boots (apple logo with progress bar ) then gets to the attached image and does nothing for about 2 min before restarting itself.

I'm not sure if there are any boot args I'm supposed to be using but have been researching and trying options all day. I have unplugged the GPU and the 10gb ethernet cable to get over some issues in the initial installer. Should I try with them back in?

I also am slightly confused about the Clover Boot loaded. Some people are talking about the config file. My EFI folder has no file currently and to my understanding this is edited in the next step when you actually get the OS fully installed correct? Should I download the clover Boot loaded on the actual apple computer and set something up for this install?

New Comp Build:
MoBo: Gigabyte Z390 M LGA1151
CPU: Intel i7 9700k
GPU: Saphire RX 5700 8gb
Ram: 32GB DDR4 3600MHz

Hi there.

I'm pretty sure there is no support for RX5700 in Mojave. So if you have unplugged it that's a wise move. You can install Catalina 10.15.1+ though, othwise you would need to rely on the iGPU.

Run the installer again but in "Verbose" mode so you get screen full of scrolling text to tell you where it stalls. You can then show us a screen grab etc.

To do this, at the Clover boot menu press the SpaceBar and from the resulting menu select Verbose. (or the command-line "-v" will do it too).

:)

Thanks for your quick reply. I thought I found that there was support for the 5700 (I’ll have to do some more digging). I can’t run Catilina due to the lack of 32bit program support. I was running in Verbose mode but it only shows onscreen text while it’s booting. When it on the installer page there is nothing else to signify why it’s failing. I’ll try again and post shortly.

Thanks for your quick reply. I thought I found that there was support for the 5700 (I’ll have to do some more digging). I can’t run Catilina due to the lack of 32bit program support. I was running in Verbose mode but it only shows onscreen text while it’s booting. When it on the installer page there is nothing else to signify why it’s failing. I’ll try again and post shortly.

Fair enough.

You are correct, there will be nothing in the destination EFI until you've installed the OS and set-up Clover there using MultiBeast/Clover.

Ideas:

Use Disk Utility in the installer Tools menu to check you've formatted the destination drive correctly.

Do a site search in User Builds for your motherboard/CPU combination. It's been done before so you can check if they had any similar problems.

Ensure you don't have any extra drives attached during installation, data or especially with Windows on it.

There is another run of text but it flashes so quickly before the black screen. I will have to try to capture it by trial and error. There might be some info in here. The last image seems to have an error with the file directory.

I will have a look through the User Builds, thanks.

There is no other drive attached and I have set the HD up correctly as I have done it a couple times to make sure. I am using an M.2 NVME drive. Does this cause an issue vs SSD?

Attachments

• IMG_6528.jpg
    IMG_6528.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6529.jpg
    IMG_6529.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6530.jpg
    IMG_6530.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6533.jpg
    IMG_6533.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
I got the OS installed with some trial and error. Added the Unibeast software and tried to add the selections I thought I might need. On boot now it crashes halfway through the white bar. Report attached. Does anyone know what is causing the crash?
1A361FCF-0895-476B-A0AD-8C39773C9059.jpeg

Hi, I have the exact same problem: the installer reboots at 15 minutes. I have different mobo (Z390 M Gaming) and CPU (i7 9700K) but I also have a M.2 drive. Is yours a Samsung 970 evo plus ? I've seen there where some issues with it.

Edit : If you're using 970 evo plus check this, it might fix the issue

Last edited:
My MoBo is actually the gaming (guess I forgot to add that) and I am in fact using the WD black NvME SSD.
I actually got it sorted with the boot arg slide=0. Simple fix for me and now booting to OS without issues multiple times.

Well, I just tried to update the firmware of the NvME SSD and it was already up to date. Could you explain how you managed to make it work? I tried to add slide=0 to the boot args when I boot from clover via USB but Mojave install still rebooted at 15 minutes :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back