Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Mojave install - hangs on apple (bootup) progress bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
MSI RADEON RX 5700 XT 8GB MECH OC
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

Building my first Hackintosh. I've tried to take my SSD straight from my imac, install clover then boot from that. It didn't work and hung on the apple progress bar.

So this morning I've tried to do a fresh install using a USB and unibeast. (USB made on a macbook pro) I'm having the same problem, in that I can't even get to the point where it gets to the installer. Still stuck on the apple boot progress bar.

Any help with be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Hi all,

Building my first Hackintosh. I've tried to take my SSD straight from my imac, install clover then boot from that. It didn't work and hung on the apple progress bar.

So this morning I've tried to do a fresh install using a USB and unibeast. (USB made on a macbook pro) I'm having the same problem, in that I can't even get to the point where it gets to the installer. Still stuck on the apple boot progress bar.

Any help with be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Hi there,

The best way to analyse this problem is to use "verbose" boot mode. At the Clover menu press the Spacebar and then select it.

Secondly, you probably need the "slide=0" boot argument. At Clover press the Spacebar and select "Disable KASLR (slide=0)".

Also, if your graphics card is as your profile then it isn't supported until Catalina, so maybe getting stuck.

There are extra kexts installed with the UniBeast Catalina installer to help but not Mojave.

I am not sure if the 5700 XT will run in unaccelerated mode by using the "DeInit" boot option - Clover menu, move mouse down to Options menu - I don't have the card, but worth a try.

:)

If you're completely stuck, the first thing to try is booting into single-user mode. If you can get as far as a command prompt, you at least know you're in with a chance of fixing everything else.

Reboot, then this time try booting in verbose and safe mode. If that works, go back again and this time boot with all kexts disabled.

If you can boot up, grab the latest versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen as out of date versions can cause panics. Hopefully that'll get you some of the way there.

If you can't, then it sounds like your graphics card cannot kick in when the GUI portion of the kernel starts.

Thanks both, I'll be trying these tomorrow so I'll update on any progress made

One other problem I had is that Mojave uses the APFS file system as a default. I upgraded my box from High Sierra to Mojave and it was completely and utterly bricked - kernel panics all round because it couldn't find a root file system, including the recovery partition. I booted into Linux on a USB stick and it didn't have a clue what the drive was formatted as (but mercifully recognised the Time Machine backup drive as HFS+, so I wasn't totally hosed). So you might be best off going with High Sierra to start off with.

If you have access to a real Mac with an equal or later OS, you should be able to get hold of a copy of the installer (Google is your friend) which you can use the respective Unibeast to create a bootable USB stick from.

Last edited:
Solved. Opted to install Catalina instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back