On Board
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I have tried and tried to find an answer via searching the forum but I have accepted defeat.

I bought this hardware as it was listed in the Buyer's Guide for October. I am running
Gigabyte H370 HD3
Intel Core i3 8350K
8GB DDR4 2400mhz ram
120GB Kingston SSD
running internal graphics

I can boot up and run the first half of the install no problem, it then reboots and boots to USB clover and I select boot from the SSD, it gets to the second part of the setup and displays 15 minuets remaining screen for about 30 seconds and then shuts its self down with the attached kernal panic.

any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

install USB was created with UniBeast and the only edits I've made to the USB is adding two USB kexts as it wasn't enabling the USB ports

any help would be appreciated
thanks!

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 162
Same problem here. Any clue?

Make this changes in BIOS:

1. Load Optimized Defaults
  2. Disable VT-d setting
  3. If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
  4. Set OS Type to Windows 8/10 or OtherOS - I have not seen a difference
  5. Turn off internal Serial and Parallel port
  6. Turn off Network stack for boot
  7. Turn off wake-on-lan (for now)
  8. Set XHCI Handoff to enabled
  9. Don't enable decode over 4G
  10. Depending on your GPU, set priority for boot
  11. Set internal GPU (iGPU) to enable - not auto or disabled
  12. Set DMVT pre-alloc min to 64MB and max to 128MB. For this selection to appear you might need to reboot after setting iGPU to enable
  13. Set USB legacy to enabled
  14. Activate XMP profile 1 f your Ram has it (mine doesn't and I added the timings manually)
  15. Set ERP to enable, disable platform power management (I need to do more research if this could be enabled)

What version of BIOS do you have installed?

If you’re installing to a SATA SSD (not M.2 NVMe) then also add the “Change SAT0 to SATA” ACPI patch in Clover Configurator. It’s available from the pop-up menu in ACPI section.

And ensure that your USB install disk is in a black USB 2.0 port. Avoid the blue (USB 3.0/3.1) ports and the red ports.

Hi there, Any progress on your build? I'm running into the same issue. Any insights would be great!

It may be worth changing the SMBIOS on the config.plist on the install drive to iMac18,1 or Macmini8,1 when using integrated graphics with an 8xxx CPU. I don't have that specific board so I can't be sure that will help, but I had a lot of problems with the default iMac14,2 SMBIOS on my 8xxx and 9xxx builds.

Last edited:
Fantastic ammulder, Thank you!

Your recommendation for changing SMBIOS from iMac14,2 to iMac18.1 worked perfectly and I was able to complete the installation. That was the second of two issues encountered in this (my first) build. The first issue was needing USB inject ALL.kext to enable the keyboard & mouse for preliminary installation.
I'd be interested to understand more about the different SMBIOS configs, their contents, and role but I suppose that is already published elsewhere.

The SMBIOS settings tell it which model of Mac you're pretending to be. Apple knows what hardware is supposed to be in each model, and so the OS can make certain assumptions about your hardware based on the SMBIOS, and if it doesn't match in certain ways, there can be problems. The iMac18 series has a relatively modern CPU for Apple's line (7xxx I think) and my understanding is that the 18,1 and possibly 18,2 have integrated graphics whereas the 18,3 has a GPU. So that tends to be a good fit for a machine with a 7xxx-9xxx CPU, with 18,1 for integrated graphics or 18,3 if using a video card. The Macmini8,1 includes an i7-8700 and integrated graphics, which is why that would be another good fit (only if you don't use a video card, though -- when I tried a build with the Macmini8,1 SMBIOS and a GPU, some of the video acceleration was disabled).

For what it's worth, to me Mojave seems more sensitive to this than High Sierra -- I had to switch the SMBIOS I was using when I converted.

Last edited:
Reactions: gkc
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back