Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Disclaimer: I mention Turing, Pascal and Maxwell to help educate users on what versions of MacOs they're supported on but if you accidentally fell on this page thinking your RTX 2080ti is supported, please read carefully

So there’s been quite a few questions regarding which GPU to buy for Mojave ever since the Web Drivers “disappeared”. Though I want to go in depth why the Web Drivers were removed, I’ll give you guys a TL;DR on the situation and a little guide of which GPUs to buy, which to avoid and the pros/cons of each model.

TL;DR on WebDrivers

So what’s going on with the Web Drivers? Well the issue seems to go back to the philosophy of both companies, the philosophy of wanting to control the entire software stack for their products. Nvidia want to control every single aspect of their products which is the biggest reason for not having open sourced drivers, and then you look at the company that makes MacOs, iOS and clearly see how they want to control every aspect of their little garden. Think it’s a coincidence both AMD and Intel have open sourced graphics drivers? It seems that Apple has had issues with Web driver quality before and it seems that Mojave was them finally taking a stand and saying either build better drivers or give us control similar to the Kepler series.
So this whole situation means we’re out of luck for any sort of web drivers as these 2 titans clash with neither bending the knee.

So what GPU should I buy?

So there’s still 2 routes for discrete GPUs you can go, either AMD or Nvidia(Yes, there’s actually natively supported Nvidia cards in Mojave). So I’ll be going over what GPUs are compatible and what features/drawbacks they hold.
Things to remember:
  • Mac OS does not support either SLI, Crossfire or GPUs will multiple main cores(like the Radeon Pro Duo)
  • Getting audio through HDMI/DisplayPort may require extra work with both AppleALC.kext and some other IO-REG edits
AMD GPUs

Vega series Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4
So all Vega cards are natively supported with the exclusion of the new Radeon VII but there is some support in the newest MacOs 10.14.5 beta allowing it to operate properly. Another thing to note is that reference design GPUs actually don’t have a fan profile set in MacOs meaning the systems will spin at high RPMs continuously but with an unlocked power play table, we can Overclock/Undervolt these cards and set custom fan profiles just for MacOs.

The only brand of GPUs to avoid with Vegas are XFX and Sapphire. Reason being is VBIOS communication issues which can't be easily solved with a reference BIOS due to how Vega's powerplay table interacts between the OS and GPU.
Recommended software setting the RPM and power play tables would be VGTab. To get power draw monitoring, don't forget to set PP_DisablePowerContainment to 0.

Supported Cards:
  • Vega 56
  • Vega 64
  • Vega 64 Liquid
  • Rx Vega VII (If running MacOs 10.14.5 Beta 1)
  • Vega Frontier Edition
  • Radeon Pro WX 9100
  • Radeon Pro WX 7100
Needed kexts:
Radeon 400 series (Polaris) Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4

Regarding Polaris, basically every model of card is supported as kong as it’s running a Polaris core(lower end cards like the RX550 run a Lexa core meaning no support in MacOs).

The only brand of GPU you should avoid with the Polaris series would be XFX as many users have had issues with these cards with viewing Clover and MacOs booting but other users have found fixes/work arounds. This is caused by having an odd VBIOS that doesn't communicate well with MacOs, only real solution is flashing another VBIOS which is not ideal.

Supported cards:
  • RX 460/560
  • RX 470/570
  • RX 480/580
  • RX 590
  • WX 2100
  • WX 3100
  • WX 4100
  • WX 5100
Needed kexts:
GCN 3 and older based Cards

Regarding GCN 3 and older, cards from these generations theoretically will have support for Metal in Mojave but due to how fragmented some of the product stack became meant that some cards may not have support. Generally, HD 7XXX series of GPUs and up are metal compatible but I’ll only list GPUs that have been proven to work.
Radeon R9 3xx (Fiji) Current/Mojave 10.14.4

Fiji is also natively supported in Mojave without much issue but we cannot guarantee the success of R5 and R7 cards due to not having many reports of success soon them. Also be wary that differing from the reference design of these cards have many more issues that require a lot of work to get them to run properly

Supported cards:
  • R9 280/380(FakeID needed)
  • R9 280x/380x
  • R9 390
  • R9 Nano
  • R9 Fury
  • R9 Fury x
Needed kexts
Native nVidia GPUs

Kepler GPUs (GTX 6xx, 7xx) Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4

Currently the only 100% native Nvidia architecture that works with Mojave. Users have reported issues with the GTX 650ti, 660, 660ti but this is caused by a driver issue on Apple’s end by not supporting the GK106 core(or quite poorly as the issue seems to be memory leakage which also affects real Macs). Another issue with this generation is lower end products marketed as first generation Kepler are actually using a Fermi core but have identical counterparts running Kepler cores as well(GF 116 vs GK 107 found in the GT 640). AND PLEASE NOTICE THAT GTX 745, 750 and ti VARIANTS ARE NOT INCLUDED, THEY'RE NOT KEPLER

Supported cards:

Kepler Gen 2:
  • GTX Titan (GK 110 Maxwell core)
  • GTX Titan Black(GK 110 Maxwell core)
  • GTX Titan Z (One of the few dual GPU cards supported in MacOs)
  • GTX 780/ti
  • GTX 770
  • GTX 760/ti
  • GT 740
  • GT 730
  • GT 720
  • GT 710
Kepler Gen 1:
  • GTX Titan (GK 110 Maxwell core)
  • GTX Titan Black(GK 110 Maxwell core)
  • GTX Titan Z (One of the few dual GPU cards supported in MacOs, unfortunately was never truly utilized)
  • GTX 690(Another dual GPU card compatible with MacOS)
  • GTX 680
  • GTX 670
  • GTX 660/TI(MUST BE RUNNING A GK 104 core, NOT GK 106)
  • GTX 650(MUST BE RUNNING A GK 107 core, NOT GK 106)
  • GTX 645(GT 645 is Fermi)
  • GT 640(Kepler edition, GK 107/208 core)
  • GT 630(Kepler edition, GK 208 core)
Quadro:
  • Quadro 410
  • Quadro K420
  • Quadro K600
  • Quadro K2000/D
  • Quadro K4000/D
  • Quadro K4200
  • Quadro K5000
  • Quadro K5200
  • Quadro K6000
  • NVS 510
Needed kexts:
Fermi GPUs (GTX 4xx, 5xx) Highest Supported OS: Sierra/High Sierra 10.13.6(with some work, current/Mojave 10.14.4)

Well Mojave actually pulled official support for these cards from Mojave but thankfully you can just chuck the old High Sierra drivers back in and you’ll be good. Nothing too important to add for Fermi specifically, just understand since it’s no longer OOB you may have odd driver issues so only use your Fermi card in desperation. Users have reported issues with High Sierra so using those drivers can cause some issues. And I won’t make a list of compatible graphics cards due to the nature of no longer being official as I don’t want someone to stumble upon this thinking their GT610 is compatible without any work. Also I've been hospitalized for a month with Crohn's, cut me a break ;)

Needed Kexts:
Unsupported nVidia GPUs

Turing GPUs (GTX 20xx, 16xx) Highest Supported OS:NONE

Unfortunately no support in any version of MacOs as no drivers were ever written even for High Sierra. Not much else to add.
These cards include:
  • RTX 2080ti
  • RTX 2080
  • RTX 2070
  • RTX 2060
  • GTX 1160ti
  • GTX 1160
  • Quadro RTX 4000
  • Quadro RTX 5000
  • Quadro RTX 6000
  • Quadro RTX 8000
Pascal GPUs (GTX 10xx) Highest Supported OS: High Sierra 10.13.6

Well pretty sure most users know what going on with Pascal and Maxwell but I’ll just mention it quick here. No support for these cards in Mojave but MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6 do support these cards with the combination of Nvidia’s somewhat shotty drivers and Lilu+WhateverGreen. Support for Mojave is unlikely

Supported cards:
  • GTX Titan X(GP 102-400 Pascal core)
  • GTX Titan Xp(GP 102-450 Pascal core)
  • GTX 1080/ti
  • GTX 1070/ti
  • GTX 1060
  • GTX 1050/ti
  • GT 1030
Quadro:
  • Quadro P400
  • Quadro P600
  • Quadro P620
  • Quadro P1000
  • Quadro P2000
  • Quadro P4000
  • Quadro P5000
  • Quadro P6000
  • Quadro GP100
Needed kexts:
Maxwell GPUs (GTX 9xx, 745, 750 and ti variant) Highest Supported OS: High Sierra 10.13.6

Same idea as Pascal, though the naming scheme is a bit odd as the GTX 745, 750 and 750ti are all Maxwell based even though they’re being marketed with the Kepler line so be wary when buying

Supported cards:
  • GTX Titan X(GM 200 Maxwell core)
  • GTX 980/ti
  • GTX 970
  • GTX 960
  • GTX 950
  • GTX 750/ti
  • GTX 745
Quadro:
  • Quadro K620
  • Quadro K1200
  • Quadro K220
  • Quadro M2000
  • Quadro M4000
  • Quadro M5000
  • Quadro M6000
Needed kexts:
Intel's Integrated Graphics
So I'll be going over the compatible iGPUs present in intel's CPUs, main thing to note is that you'll need to apply the FrameBuffer patch to your system to get things to work properly. Please refer to this post for more info on Framebuffer patching as it goes in depth on how to get your system running. We will also be excluding iGPUs present in Pentiums, Celerons and Atom CPUs as they've never been supported natively and require quite a bit of extra work to get them working

Westmere i3/5/7-xxx Highest Supported OS: High Sierra 10.13.6

Unfortunately Mojave dropped support for these iGPUs but luckily using a similar method to Fermi we can actually get these iGPUs working by using old kexts(though no Metal support so things are a bit iffy). I won't link any of the files myself so do be wary when downloading kexts off the internet
  • HD Graphics (yup, that's all they called them)
Files needed:
  • GPUSupport.framework
  • OpenGL.framework
Needed kexts:
Sandy Bridge i3/5/7-2XXX Highest Supported OS: High Sierra 10.13.6(With a bit of work, current/Mojave 10.14.4)

Unfortunately Mojave dropped support for these iGPUs but luckily using a similar method to Fermi we can actually get these iGPUs working by using old kexts(though no Metal support so things are a bit iffy). I won't link any of the files myself so do be wary when downloading kexts off the internet

Supported iGPUs:
  • HD 2000
  • HD 3000
Files needed for HD 2000:
  • AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
  • AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin
  • AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle
Files needed for HD 2000:
  • AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext
  • AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin
  • AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
  • AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle
Needed kexts:
Ivy Bridge i3/5/7-3XXX Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4

Regarding the HD 4000, it's completely native with Mojave. The HD 2500 on the other hand only has partial support in Mojave for quick sync features as hardware acceleration is unsupported.

Supported iGPUs:
  • HD 2500
  • HD 4000
Needed kexts:
Haswell i3/5/7-4XXX Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4

All iGPUs are supported here, no issues to report

Supported iGPUs:
  • HD 4200
  • HD 4400
  • HD 4600
  • HD 5000
  • HD 5100
  • HD P4600(Theoretically)
  • HD P4700(Theoretically)
Needed kexts:
Broadwell i3/5/7-5XXX Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4

Supported iGPUs:
  • HD 5300
  • HD 5500
  • HD 5600
  • HD 6000
  • HD 6100
  • HD 6200
  • HD P5700(Theoretically)
  • Iris Pro P6300
Needed kexts:
Skylake i3/5/7-6XXX Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4

Supported iGPUs:
  • HD 510
  • HD 515
  • HD 520
  • HD 530
  • HD P530
  • Iris 540
  • Iris 550
  • Iris Pro 580
  • Iris Pro P555
  • Iris Pro P580
Needed kexts:
Kabylake i3/5/7-7XXX Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4

Most iGPUs are supported here excluding the HD 610 present in the Pentium G4560

Supported iGPUs:
  • HD 615
  • HD 620
  • HD 630
  • Iris Plus 640
  • Iris Plus 650
Needed kexts:
Kabylake refresh/ Coffeelake i3/5/7-8XXX/9XXX Highest Supported OS: Current/Mojave 10.14.4

All iGPUs are supported here, though pay attention as the i3 8100 and 8350k use a different UHD 630 than the rest of the CPU family
  • UHD 610
  • UHD 620
  • UHD 630
  • Iris Plus 655
Needed kexts:
AMD's Integrated Graphics
Well I was originally just gonna say incompatible but they're not. Much more research will need to be done but will add to this later

Hey I'm lazy, just tell me what to buy
So you just want a GPU recommendation? Well honestly in the current situation the only cards we'd recommend would be from AMD that are either Polaris(Rx 4xx, 5xx) or newer as GCN 3 and older can loose support at any time and the same applies for Kepler. Here's the cards we recommend and do remember that reference cards are generally the safest solution(AVOID XFX AT ALL COSTS):
  • Rx 460/560
  • Rx 470/570
  • Rx 480/580
  • Rx 590
  • Rx Vega 56
  • Rx Vega 64
  • Rx Vega VII (If running MacOs 10.14.5 Beta 1)
Hopefully this little guide helps you, if you have anything else you'd like to add feel free to mention and I'll look into it. I'm fairly certain I forgot something along the way

Last updated for MacOs 10.14.5 Beta 1

- Your local neighbourhood Hackintosh Slav

Edits:
Credit to trs96 for adding the NVS 510 to the list

Last edited:
Motherboard
Alienware Aurora R7
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Wow, this is the most detailed post about GPU support for Hackintosh. Thumbs up for you.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
The only brand of GPUs to avoid with Vegas are XFX and Sapphire. Reason being is VBIOS communication issues which can't be easily solved with a reference BIOS due to how Vega's powerplay table interacts between the OS and GPU.
On Apple's support page they list these Vega cards as compatible in an eGPU enclosure. Both Sapphire and XFX. So if Apple has tested these in an eGPU and they work via TH3 why not installed internally in a PCIe slot in a CustoMac ? What is different when connecting externally that gets around the VBIOS communication issues ?

Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Nice post there have been a lot of changes in Mojave.

XFX R7-R9, and 7xxx cards have incompatible vbios.

XFX RX 460-560 models have the vbios issue as well.

There are reports of some users not being able to use XFX RX 570-580 models but it could be user error. I have 2 XFX RX 480s that have been running fine since the Sierra beta software and work great in Mojave beta. And many other users have XFX Polaris 10 cards working well.
XFX RX 590 Fat Boy is incompatible the vbios issue. So in general one should check to see if their XFX model is supported before buying.

Reference cards don’t have the fan issues whereas the multifan models sometimes have the fan issue (mostly in the Vega cards).

Sapphire is the go to Apple vendor. But there are reports of a few models having issues (RX 590). In general the Pulse models are compatible.

Motherboard
MSI Z170A PC Mate
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
What is different when connecting externally that gets around the VBIOS communication issues ?
Well connecting externally isn't what changes as 2010-2012 MacPros don't have this issue either, it seems to specifically come down to how Hackintoshes use an emulated EFI vs a native one like in real Macs. This means that since we're emulating, we can get odd issues with translating from the hardware/firmware to the OS itself and this is the same reason why WhateverGreen requires a UEFI compatible graphics card to properly work

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F
CPU
I5-8600K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
On Apple's support page they list these Vega cards as compatible in an eGPU enclosure. Both Sapphire and XFX. So if Apple has tested these in an eGPU and they work via TH3 why not installed internally in a PCIe slot in a CustoMac ? What is different when connecting externally that gets around the VBIOS communication issues ?
I can tell you that 100% would get crashes on my hack with the Vega card if I do not reboot every few days. Right now the max days uptime without reboot is 6 days and as the Op describes it is a disconnect. However, that same card in a EGPU on a MacMini TB3 does not have the problem. The card is a XFX Vega 64 Reference card also tried a MSI Vega 56 Reference card. Both card needed fan help VGTab in the hack, in the EGPU they do their thing just fine.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F
CPU
I5-8600K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Well connecting externally isn't what changes as 2010-2012 MacPros don't have this issue either, it seems to specifically come down to how Hackintoshes use an emulated EFI vs a native one like in real Macs. This means that since we're emulating, we can get odd issues with translating from the hardware/firmware to the OS itself and this is the same reason why WhateverGreen requires a UEFI compatible graphics card to properly work
So by this standard someone with a Hack and TB3 with EGPU would experience the same issues because of the Emulated SM?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Here is a Kepler based Quadro card that works that is not on the list. There are many for sale on Ebay for < 70 dollars. These are mainly for powering multiple 4K at 60Hz displays. Not intended for CAD and not good for gaming at all.

2GB HP NVS 510 DDR3 4x Mini Displayport (GK107 Chip)

Main Features
  • Maximum Resolution: 3840 x 2160​
  • Digital Signal: Yes​
  • Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA​
  • Chipset Line: Quadro​
  • Chipset Series: NVS​
  • Chipset Model: 510​
  • Processor Speed: 797 MHz​
  • Standard Memory: 2 GB​
  • Memory Speed: 891 MHz​
  • Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM​
  • Host Interface: PCI Express 2.0 x16​
  • DisplayPort: Yes​
  • Number of Mini DisplayPort Outputs: 4​

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI Z170A PC Mate
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
So by this standard someone with a Hack and TB3 with EGPU would experience the same issues because of the Emulated SM?
Theoretically yes, but since we're now routing the PCIE lanes through the chipset it instead of the CPU like on a desktop you can encounter either better stability or worse. Hackintoshes are on a case by case basis for these kinds of things and so it's hard to tell what would happen

Motherboard
MSI Z170A PC Mate
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Here is a Kepler based Quadro card that works that is not on the list. There are many for sale on Ebay for < 70 dollars. These are mainly for powering multiple 4K at 60Hz displays. Not intended for CAD and not good for gaming at all.
Oooo good catch, will add that