CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
I seem to be unable to do a fresh install of Mojave (I already have Mojave installed, APFS disk). OS X Preview is not working properly (hangs on showing jpg, but works perfectly one everything else). After various attempts (create new user/safe boot/delete pref files/etc.) it seems that the solution is to reinstall Mojave. I actually won't mind, as I have upgraded my last two OS and thus it is time for a fresh install.

I boot from a SSD, with clover UEFI, and I have Windows 10 installed in a separate SSD - clover works perfectly and I have clover config options with custom icons for disk, hiding filevault and preboot, thus I really do not want to mess with my clover installation on that disk, hence not keen about reformatting my SSD.

I got the unibeast usb, boot into it, go into MacOS utilities, go to install Mojave, starts installation, computer restarts, reboot into a new disk name (didn't write down the name), get the screen where Mojave is installing (taking 35 minutes screen), run down to about 10 minutes and then system reboots. So far, just as expected. Now I only have the option to boot into Mojave (but that takes to my old mojave installation) or "boot Recovery from Recovery" which takes me to the beginning of the process again .

Thus I try to boot into "recovery from recovery" , get ot MacOS Utilities, start the process for a fresh Mojave installation again, get installation screen, wait 10 minutes, computer restarts, now I go back to "boot recovery into recovery", I am into the Mojave installation, taking 35 minutes (so far as expected), running down to about 10 minutes, computer restart and if I "boot into Mojave " I get to my old installation, if I boot into "recovery from recovery" I get to the MacOS utilities, e.g. process starts from scratch.

I try hitting F3 but there are no other disks to reboot that seems to make sense to reboot into.

I guess the issue is that with the restarts during the Mojave installation I do not understand when it it time to boot from which boot disk

I seem to be unable to do a fresh install of Mojave (I already have Mojave installed, APFS disk). OS X Preview is not working properly (hangs on showing jpg, but works perfectly one everything else). After various attempts (create new user/safe boot/delete pref files/etc.) it seems that the solution is to reinstall Mojave. I actually won't mind, as I have upgraded my last two OS and thus it is time for a fresh install.

I boot from a SSD, with clover UEFI, and I have Windows 10 installed in a separate SSD - clover works perfectly and I have clover config options with custom icons for disk, hiding filevault and preboot, thus I really do not want to mess with my clover installation on that disk, hence not keen about reformatting my SSD.

I got the unibeast usb, boot into it, go into MacOS utilities, go to install Mojave, starts installation, computer restarts, reboot into a new disk name (didn't write down the name), get the screen where Mojave is installing (taking 35 minutes screen), run down to about 10 minutes and then system reboots. So far, just as expected. Now I only have the option to boot into Mojave (but that takes to my old mojave installation) or "boot Recovery from Recovery" which takes me to the beginning of the process again .

Thus I try to boot into "recovery from recovery" , get ot MacOS Utilities, start the process for a fresh Mojave installation again, get installation screen, wait 10 minutes, computer restarts, now I go back to "boot recovery into recovery", I am into the Mojave installation, taking 35 minutes (so far as expected), running down to about 10 minutes, computer restart and if I "boot into Mojave " I get to my old installation, if I boot into "recovery from recovery" I get to the MacOS utilities, e.g. process starts from scratch.

I try hitting F3 but there are no other disks to reboot that seems to make sense to reboot into.

I guess the issue is that with the restarts during the Mojave installation I do not understand when it it time to boot from which boot disk

I have to go through these steps. Even though I documented it for High Sierra, it was still applicable for Mojave:

During 1st restart

• F8 to boot from USB
  • UEFI: Samsung Flash Drive (30600MB)
  • Boot macOS Install from macOS High Sierra

During 2nd restart

• F8 to boot from USB
  • Boot macOS Install from macOS High Sierra

During 3rd restart

• F8 to boot from USB
  • Boot macOS from macOS High Sierra

Dblack71, thanks for the steps.

I tried them and I still do not get a fresh install. When I go through the last (3rd) restart, I get the screen showing that Mojave is being installed on my SSD. The process takes about 25 minutes, which is in line with what I would expect. At the next restart, the "Boot macOS from MacOS Mojave" disappeared (as I would expect), and I can boot into Mojave. However, rather than going through the usual process to create a user name I have my usual login screen - in essence I am in my previous Mojave installations.

I am wondering if the Mojave install software "sees" that I already have Mojave installed as it doesn't seem to overwrite my installation with a fresh install (although I am puzzled about what happened with all the disk writing that happened during the various restarts)

Dblack71, thanks for the steps.

I tried them and I still do not get a fresh install. When I go through the last (3rd) restart, I get the screen showing that Mojave is being installed on my SSD. The process takes about 25 minutes, which is in line with what I would expect. At the next restart, the "Boot macOS from MacOS Mojave" disappeared (as I would expect), and I can boot into Mojave. However, rather than going through the usual process to create a user name I have my usual login screen - in essence I am in my previous Mojave installations.

I am wondering if the Mojave install software "sees" that I already have Mojave installed as it doesn't seem to overwrite my installation with a fresh install (although I am puzzled about what happened with all the disk writing that happened during the various restarts)

• If you don't want to "mess up" your previous installation on the SSD (with Preview problem) , disconnect that from your Motherboard to reduce confusion and clutter at CBM screen and Disk Utility screen .

• Then you use your newly created (through Unibeast Method) Mojave Installer to install on the new blank or partially installed disk by fresh Repartition and Reformat in Disk Utility >macOS installation with several reboots.

• At the end of each reboot, follow the routine of entering the Clover Boot Screen with the USB Installer through Boot Menu Selection Screen with Hotkey (F12 in Gigabyte ) and exiting the CBM screen through the System disk.
  • Finally, the System Disk will seek and reach the Language and Region selection.
  • Apple Account Setup, iCloud setup.
  • Keyboard config, and Desktop setup
  • and finally to get its on CloverEFI Bootloader and Kexts and config.plist ( Multibeast or Manual method) to be able to become an independently booting System disk without the need for USB Installer disk to travel from BIOS-> CBM -> Login Screen->Desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back