i7-10700K
Graphics
XFX RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
Hi everyone I would appreciate some suggestions from the forum . I need to renew my music production hardware. the problem is that I have to keep Mojave as OS for compatibility of some musical software and sound card. Which motherboards from thise listed in the buyer 's guide could be compatible with the requirements I have indicated? thank you all

The safe option is to go for a Z390 board with 9th gen. CPU, which is "natively" supported by Mojave.

By spoofing Coffee Lake CPU you may be able to use a Z490 board with 10th gen. CPU.
Even Z690 boards with an Alder Lake CPU are known to work—but then community support will be limited because there are few users running an old OS on the latest hardware.

The safe option is to go for a Z390 board with 9th gen. CPU, which is "natively" supported by Mojave.

By spoofing Coffee Lake CPU you may be able to use a Z490 board with 10th gen. CPU.
Even Z690 boards with an Alder Lake CPU are known to work—but then community support will be limited because there are few users running an old OS on the latest hardware.
@etorix thaks for your suggestion. The Z390 is it compatibile with the newest operating systems in case I decide to upgrade the OS in the future? I know the system it’s outdated but before upgrade to newst OS X I must be sure about my audio interface compatibylity because it’s an old high end interface.

Yes, the Coffee Lake 8th/9th Gen series CPU's and Z390 motherboards can run the latest versions of macOS, without any issue.

There are a number of well written and concise guides for builds using those components in the Golden Builds and User Builds forums.

Here are links to two Golden Builds:

@etorix thaks for your suggestion. The Z390 is it compatibile with the newest operating systems in case I decide to upgrade the OS in the future? I know the system it’s outdated but before upgrade to newst OS X I must be sure about my audio interface compatibylity because it’s an old high end interface.
The still current Intel Mac mini is based on 8th gen., so it's a fair bet that Coffee Lake (8/9th gen.) will run all future versions of macOS until Intel support is eventually dropped.
Then it's a matter of what your require (PCIe slot distribution? Thunderbolt?) and what hardware you can still find.

A build of Z370 motherboard (with the latest BIOS version) and 9th generation Core is also compatible with Mojave. I have the same build and started with Mojave, and it is now with Monterey.

It might be interesting to consider if your software/hardware is supported in Windows, in order to simply have a Windows partition/drive dedicated to your musical activities.
I've been reluctant to do so myself, being a pure Mac user for nearly 30 years, but I'm thinking more and more about it, as Windows have more tolerance about hardware support, I guess.
For the time being, I do my musical activities in a 10.9 partition (10.14 being my current main OS) but I've started testing Windows with good results. So, when my good old Z68 dies, I'd be able to switch to a more recent build and keep my Windows working partition beside a current MacOS for the rest.
That's a bit of speculation, but it's worth thinking about it. ;)

So, when my good old Z68 dies, I'd be able to switch to a more recent build
My Gigabyte Z68 mATX board appears to be immortal. I'll still be using it in 2030 or later. ;)
I've never seen any piece of tech as reliable and stable as this. They don't build 'em like this anymore.

My Gigabyte Z68 mATX board appears to be immortal. I'll still be using it in 2030 or later. ;)
I've never seen any piece of tech as reliable and stable as this. They don't build 'em like this anymore.
Gosh! That means I'll never change my computer! :lol: (except for the sake of geekness... :mrgreen: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back