Contribute
Register

Mojave build won’t boot after CPU upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X79Z-V161
CPU
E5-2687W
Graphics
hd7950 x2
Had fully working build with old cpu. I upgraded from a i7 3930k 6 core to a Xeon e5-2667 v2. 8 core.

My build: Xeon e5-2667 v2 (ivy bridge)
X79Z-V161 motherboard (no name Chinese)
32 g Mushkin Enhanced pc3 17000 ddr3 2133
2- visiontek Radeon HD-7950

Freezes on apple logo. Any help would be appreciated. If anybody has a working build using the e5-2667 v2. Please post
your Config plist so I can figure this out. I’m new to this hackintosh process, but I’m learning. Thanks.

Anybody out there that can help? I can give more details if somebody’s interested in helping.

Xeon CPU can be very different from 'regular' i3/5/7, even though sometimes they share the same socket design (in your case they do). I'd consider buying new i7/9 CPU and motherboard to really boost the performance. Simply use a slightly better CPU won't buy you much.

Thanks for the advice. But a little out of my price range right now. I did get the cpu to work with High Sierra. I think the problem is with the ivy Bridge. I have a sandy bridge Xeon. Going to try that and see if it will work with Mojave.

Didn't notice your 'problematic' Xeon is ivy bridge. Your Sandy bridge Xeon 'should' work with both High Sierra and Mojave.
I suspect Mojave doesn't like ivy bridge Xeon for your config.plist plus all kexts combo. Somehow High Sierra is ok with it.
This is very interesting. Please update with your results.

Thanks for the advice. But a little out of my price range right now. I did get the cpu to work with High Sierra. I think the problem is with the ivy Bridge. I have a sandy bridge Xeon. Going to try that and see if it will work with Mojave.

Don’t know why the ivy bridge worked on High Sierra and not Mohave. I’ll update you after I try the sandy bridge.

Changed the E5-2667 v2 (ivy Bridge) to a E5-2687W (Sandy Bridge). Now install went smoothly and everything works.

That's kinda strange: an older version CPU works while newer version doesn't.

Changed the E5-2667 v2 (ivy Bridge) to a E5-2687W (Sandy Bridge). Now install went smoothly and everything works.

Don’t get it either. Followed the vanilla install procedures for ivy bridge still was no go. Plus many other installs from multiple forums.

Hey Robwit!!

I also have this X79Z-V161 no-name chinese X79 reboot motherboard. I am having a hard time finding a case that will actually fit the board. Yes, I know the board is E-ATX, but it looks like they didn't actually follow any standards (surprise, surprise). For example, I just wasted $400 on a supermicro E-ATX case that the board didn't fit in...

Do you have any recommendations for cases for this board?

Side Note:

I have been thinking about getting the Carbide Series™ Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case by Corsair once I finally return this Supermicro case. Here is a link to the case: https://bit.ly/36KJRox

Any info about this case in particular would be rad.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back