Contribute
Register

Mojave boot problem hang/freeze at BIOS, worked fine, now can only UEFI boot off USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Something bad happened, and I assumed it was EFI corruption.

The problem: When UEFI booting the computer from internal SSD, the computer hangs/freezes on BIOS screen, no error, just total lockup.
The workaround: If I boot using clover UEFI off the USB install, everything A-OK.

What I tried: I deleted the /EFI directory from the internal SSD and re-copied everything from the USB over, thinking something was outdated or corrupted.
The result: Computer hangs/lockups on BIOS screen when UEFI booting from internal SSD.

This has been working for weeks (since Mojave was released) and it appears to be a BIOS vs. UEFI problem, but I don't know how to proceed. I figured I would ask before I made the problem worse.

It is weird that the same configuration when copied from the USB to the internal SSD produces two different results.

Main computer is listed in my signature. I appreciate your ideas on a fix.

Anybody? I guess it will be reload time :)

if hang in bios screen, most likely your ssd has some problem, read error or somthing else

Try turning off power supply switch and waiting a few seconds the hit the power button on computer and hold to de gaus the system. If that doesn’t work do the same and remove ddr ram sticks then replace and test. That has solved the issue for me a few times but I have also had a bad SSD config that froze the bios screen as well. I had to erase in fat32 and then hfs journaled to get it to stop. Do you have a windows drive? Did you update windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back