Contribute
Register

Mojave AppleHDA Audio

@toleda I'm hoping you can help, I have a dell optiplex 3050 running 10.14.3 with audio sort of working
problem is, audio works from the front/head phone port and the internal speaker
the rear(single) port has no audio.

I've tried all possible layout id's and get the same results

I've attached some files, grateful if you can help

Attachments

• 3050 troubling shooting.zip
    714 KB · Views: 93
  • CodecDump.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 92
post transferred to Post #1, Problems/1. 885/887/889/892/898/1150/1220 ...
thank's

Last edited:
Awesome work, audio worked perfectly on my new builds first boot!

I wrote a build guide but am wondering what is the ideal layout for the ASUS Z390-I Gaming? It uses an 8 channel SupremeFX S1220A and has 6 audio ports (2 in, 4 out + 1 front audio jack that I believe is shared)

I went to Github and looked at the supported layouts in the info.plist, which are 1,2,3,5, and 7. The first 3 are well commented but the other 2 are not. I tried to look in the layout XMLs but still not sure and ended up with 1 based on comments, but 7 looks good also. Unfortunately, some of the people following my guide had volume control issues with 1 and had to switch to 2. To be fair, these people had existing installs and may have had old kexts still installed and conflicting.

By the way, my understanding is that AppleALC is basically a middleware layer, is this correct? If so does Apple eliminating layouts have any effect on the layout id we use in AppleALC? I would think not, but am not sure.

Thanks again for the great work! It's gratifying to see Hackintoshing evolve past the need for so many different kexts thanks to Lillu and it's family of plugins.

some of the people following my guide had volume control issues with 1
Volume control problem on your system?
Details
had to switch to 2
Bad idea. Repurposes Blue to Black and Pink to Orange and disables Black and Orange.
Layouts 2 and 3 apply to motherboards with 3 analog audio ports only.
but 7 looks good
7 is not my work, does not support Orange or Black (2 out supported, not 4)
my understanding is that AppleALC is basically a middleware layer, is this correct?
No, AppleALC configures AppleHDA for the installed non native Intel High Definition Audio codec during boot. It has nothing to do with making sound, improving sound or controlling sound; native AppleHDA does that.
A volume control problem is an AppleHDA problem not an AppleALC or layout problem.
does Apple eliminating layouts have any effect on the layout id we use in AppleALC?
The AppleALC developer added alc-layout-id for backward compatibility with deleted layouts, invisible to users.

Volume control problem on your system?
Details

Bad idea. Repurposes Blue to Black and Pink to Orange and disables Black and Orange.
Layouts 2 and 3 apply to motherboards with 3 analog audio ports only.

7 is not my work, does not support Orange or Black (2 out supported, not 4)

No, AppleALC configures AppleHDA for the installed non native Intel High Definition Audio codec during boot. It has nothing to do with making sound, improving sound or controlling sound; native AppleHDA does that.
A volume control problem is an AppleHDA problem not an AppleALC or layout problem.

The AppleALC developer added alc-layout-id for backward compatibility with deleted layouts, invisible to users.

I think I didn't explain one of my questions properly:

If Apple eliminates a layout, let's call it #1 for argument's sake. Does that mean I can no longer use layout 1 in AppleALC? Or one has nothing to do with the other?

In other news:

I switched back to 1. One of the guys I was helping said the volume control was very bad, would jump up to almost full volume but works fine on my identical system.

So is 1 the correct layout to use for my config?

Last edited:
I think headphone mic is not correctly fit it mic port the PC
Headphone with mic plug (3.5 mm) = 4 conductors
All motherboard/front panel jacks (3.5 mm) = 3 conductors
Adapter required: 4 conductor jack to 2x (3 conductors plugs)

Back