Contribute
Register

Mojave 10.14.6 Update Causes Boot Loop..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gygabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
3.4GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 7 mb
Hi

I had 2 partitions on my SSD, both with identical 10.14.0 installs (one was a backup). I updated one of them with the Mojave 10.14.6 updater and now it KPs(assumption) and boot loops..

The other partition still works fine, which surely means the EFI is fine and my BIOS is all good too. Is this a known issue with a known solution?

I've attached my EFI folder if it helps.

Thanks in advance!

PS: is there a way I can record the boot log of the partition I can't boot into? Verbose is too fast to film or snap..

EDIT: My graphics is 1500mb not 7mb. Not sure why the build info says that.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.6 MB · Views: 80
Hi

I had 2 partitions on my SSD, both with identical 10.14.0 installs (one was a backup). I updated one of them with the Mojave 10.14.6 updater and now it KPs(assumption) and boot loops..

The other partition still works fine, which surely means the EFI is fine and my BIOS is all good too. Is this a known issue with a known solution?

I've attached my EFI folder if it helps.

Thanks in advance!

PS: is there a way I can record the boot log of the partition I can't boot into? Verbose is too fast to film or snap..

EDIT: My graphics is 1500mb not 7mb. Not sure why the build info says that.
Moved to Mojave Desktop Support.

Are you using a standalone updater or Software Preference to update? If you are using a standalone updater, are you using the Combo Update?

Thanks for moving this, sorry I'm new to this site.

I'm using a stand alone updater, and it's not the combo one. What's the combo one for?

Thanks
The Combo Update is for updating ANY prior version of Mojave up to 10.14.6. In your case, since you are previously running 10.14.0, you should use the Combo Update to update all the way to 10.14.6.

The delta 10.14.6 updater, which you were using, is only for updating 10.14.5 to 10.14.6, which does not apply in your case. That's why you have problems updating.

Download the Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update from Apple, then clone the 10.14.0 install from the other partition, and try updating using the Combo Update again.

Last edited:
Okay thanks, I have just wiped the unbootable partition and started again.

- Cloned my working backup of Mojave 10.14.0
- Updated via the Software Updater in System Preferences

System booted :D

I am able to boot into 10.14.6 now, however whenever I restart I get a message (once booted) that my computer wasn't shutdown correctly and it's performing quite slow too, respectively. I have cleared CMOS and also pressed F11 to clear NVRAM in Clover but neither have made a difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back