Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks to the excellent work of @trs96 and @nicksoph and their install guides for the Optiplex 9020 desktop PC's, I have managed to get my 9020m up and running too. :)

System specs.... 9020m, i5-4590t, 8GB ram, 120GB SSD, Intel 4600 Graphics, Mojave 10.14.6

The 9020m variants have 6 USB3 ports, but NO USB2 ports at all.

Work still needed on USB3 ports, only the top 3 rear, and the top (left) front are working at this time.Everything else seems fine.

I suggest you follow @nicksoph guide, as the micro only has Intel 4600 graphics, and no way of changing it. His guide his here...

The original guide by @trs96 is also linked from the above. It's worth reading to understand the whole concept. His guide is here...

Here are the steps I used.....

NOTE! Updating the bios, although your first step, may render your Display Port inoperable! I needed to purchase a VGA to HDMI adapter to get an image after I did the bios update. This was accomplished by booting a Linux Mint live USB stick, switching to the Display Port, and turning off the VGA. If you have access to a VGA monitor it shouldn't be an issue.

Update the bios to the latest version, by downloading it from the Dell site here... Click on show all drivers

Follow @nicksoph guide but use the DEFAULT (you shouldn't need to alter anything) bios settings (once you have Display Port back, if you lost it after the bios update). Put the install USB into the front top (left) port. A keyboard and mouse into any of the first 3 rear ports. As discussed above, the "bottom" ports (front and back) won't work after the install starts. Then follow @nicksoph guide.

I suggest you swap out the wifi card before starting the installation, be careful with the card you choose, space is limited. You can see I just managed to get my Mac supported card and adapter in, but only after shortening the adapter (it has a break off section}.

I used this card...

In this adapter...

I also needed this VGA to HDMI adapter to get my video back after the bios update, you may not...

To go from Display Port to HDMI (I have sound, but only 1080p, I've not tried to get above that, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. It is possible to get 4k apparently, but only with a DP monitor, not HDMI) I used this...

Below is a photo of the installed wifi card. It's impossible to use the clamp screw, but it seems fine. It sits on top of the front audio jacks, but I can't see there being an issue, there are no electrical connections under the card to give problems.

Good luck, Pete

WiFi+adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Pete. We've now got all of the Haswell based Optiplex models covered.

NOTE! Updating the bios, although your first step, may render your Display Port inoperable! I needed to purchase a VGA to HDMI adapter to get an image after I did the bios update.
This doesn't happen on the USFF, SFF or MT Dell Optiplex. It may be something unique to the 9020M UEFI or something else. What BIOS version did yours come with ?

Last edited:
Hi trs96, I "think" mine had version A5? After the bios update, it initially booted OK, but as it rebooted again, I lost video on the DP. Initially I though I'd bricked it, but noticed the drive light flickering. I took it to work next day and plugged it into a VGA monitor, and it was working on that. I ordered the VGA to HDMI adapter that day, once it arrived I managed to get the DP port working by booting in Linux. I need to sort the USB ports, but don't really have time atm.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back