Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 3670 DT
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630 / RX570
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Got the update via System Preferences / Software Update, but at first reboot, the progress bar hangs right away then about a minute later, I get the circle with a slash through it.

I rebooted and inserted -v on Clover options, and saw boot had stopped on a line referencing APFS. Maybe related?

I rebooted again and chose my normal boot option in Clover and it still hung, same thing. Tried again, chose normal boot again, and this time it booted.

So, something is off with the update that keeps it from starting properly.

I did NOT update my Clover...wonder if that has something to do with it?

Got the update via System Preferences / Software Update, but at first reboot, the progress bar hangs right away then about a minute later, I get the circle with a slash through it.

I rebooted and inserted -v on Clover options, and saw boot had stopped on a line referencing APFS. Maybe related?

I rebooted again and chose my normal boot option in Clover and it still hung, same thing. Tried again, chose normal boot again, and this time it booted.

So, something is off with the update that keeps it from starting properly.

I did NOT update my Clover...wonder if that has something to do with it?

I remember seeing something on a different site about the initial beta breaking Clover kext loading resulting in FakeSMC not loading (when injected via Clover). Clover has since been updated, but it's possible that the version you are on has the issue.

I remember seeing something on a different site about the initial beta breaking Clover kext loading resulting in FakeSMC not loading (when injected via Clover). Clover has since been updated, but it's possible that the version you are on has the issue.

I checked mine and I'm on 4862, which is the latest. Bummer.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to update Clover, for me that solved the issue. Update to 10.14.4 went ahead after Clover was updated. It might work for you as well
Updated to 4895, now Clover won't boot at all after the Clover volume screen. Just a black screen. No apple logo or progress bar. Guess I'll have to figure out how to get back to 4862.

EDIT: got back to 4862 using my backup of my boot volume.

Last edited:
Updated to 4895, now Clover won't boot at all after the Clover volume screen. Just a black screen. No apple logo or progress bar. Guess I'll have to figure out how to get back to 4862.

EDIT: got back to 4862 using my backup of my boot volume.

Hi. How were you able to use the backup of your boot volume? None of my boot entries will start after updating clover. Having the same issue you had. Ugh

Hi. How were you able to use the backup of your boot volume? None of my boot entries will start after updating clover. Having the same issue you had. Ugh

I actually had a backup drive (used Carbon Copy Cloner). I put my backup drive back in the system, booted back to 10.14.3 and then used a SATA to USB adapter to connect the drive that won't boot and replaced the EFI folder.

There is a EFI-Backups folder at the root of your drive that contains a backup of your EFI folder also. Clover update backs up your EFI folder to the root of your startup drive. If you have another Mac, you can replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back