Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [Mojave 10.14.4] Random Freezes (Mostly After Boot Without Logging In/Left Idle on Login Screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming ATX LGA1151
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

So recently I have just got Mojave 10.14.4 installed by following the guide "[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580" and my hardware are as follow:

- Intel Core i7 8700K
- 32GB DDR4 3000MHz (8GBx4)
- RX 580
- Asus Strix Z390-F Motherboard
- Samsung 860 Evo 1TB as Mojave 10.14.4 Boot Drive [APFS]

Everything has been working fine (sleep/wake/graphics acceleration [iGPU + dGPU]/USB custom patched/audio/etc), however I've been running into a minor issue which is the hackintosh FREEZES after boot few seconds later on login screen WHEN LEFT IDLE (but doesn't usually freeze after logging in). Both keyboard and mouse become unresponsive and there's no KP logs shown on screen, I can only force restart the whole machine and login quickly once it's done booting, but it's annoying. The system would still occasionally and randomly freeze after logging in but mostly when performing tasks that takes up high resources such as video editing in Final Cut Pro X, but it freezes ALL THE TIME on the login screen after boot without logging in/left idle after seconds. There are no signs in the system logs hinting the issue and I have done what I've needed to do such as:

- Disabling XMP profile
- Disabling CPU OC / Enabling SpeedStep
- Disabling trimforce
- Turning off "Put hard drives to sleep when possible" // even though it does help with sleeping properly without freezing
- Verifying that SATA Aggressive Link Power Management is turned off in BIOS
- Verifying kexts installations and USB patches
- Resetting BIOS settings to defaults // but changing what's needed for running Hackintosh

Also, is it possible to get "hibernatemode 25" working on this setup? I tried but in Clover boot log it shows that it couldn't locate the sleep image and doesn't know that it's hibernated.

Regards
jj

Edit: I think I figured it out, thanks!

Last edited:
How did you figure this out @@yongjiajun? I'm having this same exact issue and I can't seem to find a solution.

So for the login freezes, I was having some issues trying to get my NVMe drive mounted but it turns out that the NVMe drive that I have (Samsung 970 Evo Plus) is incompatible with macOS, but I only use it as my Windows boot drive so I disabled it by adding the boot flag nvme=-1 and the system no longer freezes :D

As for the high load freezes, I think that was due to my unstable 5GHz OC :( But after disabling OC, I now have the perfect/stable Hackintosh!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
So for the login freezes, I was having some issues trying to get my NVMe drive mounted but it turns out that the NVMe drive that I have (Samsung 970 Evo Plus) is incompatible with macOS, but I only use it as my Windows boot drive so I disabled it by adding the boot flag nvme=-1 and the system no longer freezes :D

Wait... this might be my issue. This is my first hackintosh build and I didn’t know the Samsung 970 Evo Plus wasn’t compatible (after 3 weeks). So I bought the non plus version and I was able to install Mojave. I decided to keep Both SSD. This might be it... I remember seeing the plus ssd being mounted at first but not every since. I’m gonna try this ASAP and I hope this works. I will reply back as soon as I try this.

Wait... this might be my issue. This is my first hackintosh build and I didn’t know the Samsung 970 Evo Plus wasn’t compatible (after 3 weeks). So I bought the non plus version and I was able to install Mojave. I decided to keep Both SSD. This might be it... I remember seeing the plus ssd being mounted at first but not every since. I’m gonna try this ASAP and I hope this works. I will reply back as soon as I try this.

But adding the boot flag "nvme=-1" will disable all NVMe devices... Since you're using your 970 EVO as your macOS boot drive, your best bet is to disable the EVO PLUS in the BIOS if possible or physically remove it :/

But adding the boot flag "nvme=-1" will disable all NVMe devices... Since you're using your 970 EVO as your macOS boot drive, your best bet is to disable the EVO PLUS in the BIOS if possible or physically remove it :/

I'm going to sell it and physically remove it. :)

Wanted to come back and confirm that removing my 960 EVO Pro (PC) fixed this issue. Thank you so so so much.

Wanted to come back and confirm that removing my 960 EVO Pro (PC) fixed this issue. Thank you so so so much.

No worries! Glad that helped :)

Hello Everyone, I have serious freezing every time while installing MOJAVE. I have no success !! There is the installation log file which tells everything what went wrong. I have no idea what is what. PLS HELP !!!

Thank you all of you and RESPECT THIS SITE !!

INTEL CORE I7 9700K
32GB 3200MHZ DDR4
GIGABYTE AORUS Z390 PRO MOTHERBOARD
SAPPHIRE RADEON NITRO+ RX580 8GB
SAMSUNG 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVME (APSF FORMAT)

Attachments

• Installer Log 1-Jun-2019 ERROR.txt
    389.9 KB · Views: 195
I had been suffering from an unknown freeze for a long time, but when I restored it using a time machine, the freeze stopped. I'm not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back