Contribute
Register

Mojave 10.14.4 Boots to black screen with headless UHD 630 and RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I could always pull my RX560 and see if I can get a dump ... if I force the headless platform-id I imagine I won't get any actual video output but as long as the boot process completes... :lol:

As it turns out, in the documentation for WEG it indicates that if it detects a dedicated GPU and no platform-id is used it forces a 'headless' ID anyway, so chances are removing it from the Clover config didn't actually do anything for you.

That's interesting. So you're saying theoretically we shouldn't need custom framebuffer injection with WEG at all?

I have the same issue with i5-6500 and Vega64. I tried both iMac and iMac-pro setup which disabled iGPU in 10.14.3 but both gave me black screen. I can see in verbose it said something about iGPU and it seems that the system tried to switch output and ended up in a black screen. Anyone has a solution yet?

That's interesting. So you're saying theoretically we shouldn't need custom framebuffer injection with WEG at all?

That's my understanding from looking at the documentation today; I wasn't aware of it until now either.

From https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md :

Code:
If you use a discrete graphics card (AMD or NVIDIA), having integrated Intel graphics enabled is still useful, as it can be used in offline mode (also known as "empty framebuffer", 0 connectors) for hardware encoding and decoding of media files and so forth.

Choosing a framebuffer. First try the recommended one. If it is not successful, then try the others one by one, excluding the "empty framebuffers" (0 connectors), which are described in a separate topic.
When looking for a suitable framebuffer you can set it with a boot argument (boot-arg), in which case the framebuffer set in the Properties section is ignored. For example: igfxframe=0x0166000B
Attention! Unlike in Properties the normal byte order and the 0x prefix are to be used.
— If a framebuffer is not specified explicitly in any way, the default framebuffer will be injected.
— If a framebuffer is not set and the system has a discrete graphics card, an "empty framebuffer" will be injected.

(See the last line, combined with the earlier definition of 'empty framebuffer')

Update: Got mine working. I grabbed the 4862 build of Clover off the Downloads section here, deleted the drivers64 and drivers64UEFI directories entirely on my EFI partition, and installed Clover. Removed all device properties and let WEG handle that; contrary to documentation I had to turn ON Intel injection (but no fake ID) however. Perhaps my mobo isn't presenting the CPU data completely correctly and Clover's injection is fixing it?

Removed all device properties and let WEG handle that;
Did you choose any framebuffer or everything is empty?
I didn't have luck. The only way I was able to boot with igpu on was using a wrong AAPL,ig-platform-id (which surprisingly works! But takes a lot longer to boot).

Edit: Inject Intel really works, Thanks!!!!! My EFI folder without serial/etc in case anyone ever comes here.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I didn't have luck. The only way I was able to boot with igpu on was using a wrong AAPL,ig-platform-id (which surprisingly works! But takes a lot longer to boot).

Edit: Inject Intel really works, Thanks!!!!! My EFI folder without serial/etc in case anyone ever comes here.

concur. modded config.clist to remove ig-platform-id and added inject intel, now it's no longer boot-looping.

I left it empty; the WhateverGreen documentation notes that if no ig-platform-id is defined and a discrete graphics card is detected, it will automatically choose an 'empty' (headless) platform ID so it was sort of redundant. :)

Emptied out the device info and platform ID and check InjectIntel, but still hangs on the apple logo during boot. I have attached my clover folder to the post if anyone sees anything that I did wrong.

My way out of this was to find a non-headless ig-platform-id. System now works fine with iGPU acceleration available while running the display from my AMD card.

I am using an ASROCK board with an 8700k and having the black screen issue. I have tried to do the Inject Intel and that didn’t seem to help at all. I am not currently using WEG. I am going to try that next with the current version and an older version to see if either work. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back