Contribute
Register

Mojave 10.14.2 - Slow Boot / Warning and Failure Messages in Verbose Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard OR system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7 > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
Iris Pro + R9 M370X
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi forumites,

Total noob here and my first post so please be gentle. I hope maybe somebody could point me in the right direction here
default_smile.png

I replaced my mid-2015's MacBook Pro Retina's OEM 500GB SSD with an EVO 970 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD a couple of months back while still on High Sierra. I used APFS when I set up the 2TB SSD based on some 'less than great' advice. I then experienced a couple of issues with very slow boot time.

After much searching, I learned that this problem was related to HFS+ vs APFS (based on some info found here on tonymacx86).

I installed Mojave 10.14.2. as this issue was alleged in a post here to have been resolved in this version. I did this with trepidation as some software I use is still not officially compatible with Mojave.

Mojave definitely improved the speed a bit but the boot still hangs. In verbose mode, I can see the point where the boot process hangs.

Everything runs seemingly smoothly then...

“FIPSPOST_USER [3722302532] fipspost_post: 197: all tests PASSED (213 ms)
com_seagte_IOPowSec00_10_5: GetVendorAndModel ID Info failed
com_maxtor_IOPowSec00_10_5: GetVendorAndModel ID Info failed
Warning: kexts unavailable; proceeding w/o lock for <unknown>
Warning: couldn’t block sleep during cache update
Warning: proceeding w/o DiskArb
Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory
/dev/disk1s1 on / (apfs, local, journaled)
0x91 0x2A 0x00 0xD0 00x3F 0x00 0x07 0x47”

...Then it hangs but starts again after some time and completes the boot process. I'm not sure what these messages mean (there are some earlier things that look concerning too) and Google has not been my friend when trying to find out what they mean.

Total boot time ranges between 34-60 seconds -- consistently 34 seconds if I restart, longer if I shutdown and launch again.

Could anybody please help me out here? I'm stuck on this one point for now!

Attachments

• 1274727138_Screenshot2018-12-2313_29_29.thumb.png.cd973da9918ecbf836cd5dca799296ad.png
    1274727138_Screenshot2018-12-2313_29_29.thumb.png.cd973da9918ecbf836cd5dca799296ad.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 547
Moved to MacBook Pro forum.
Note that this is a site for those installing Apple operating systems onto non Apple hardware.
There are many support forums elsewhere for actual Apple hardware.

Thanks for correctly assigning my post.
I posted on this forum as it has the most references to slow boots albeit on Hackintosh-type systems.
On another Apple forum I was told that this issue is essentially 'a Hackintosh thing' - I assume as the SSD is not a standard issue Apple SSD. Mostly I posted here as it seems the community has a very deep knowledge of this kind of subject.

I took a video of my boot in order to catch what was happening after this hangup as everyones hangup is after "Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory" but you have a few things after that before it hangs. If you look you'll see a bunch of spaceman_trim_free... entrees. Mine says
spaceman_trim_free_blocks:3245: scan took 10.743583s, trims took 10.082036s.

So, yes, most likely your issue is the SSD. It must be a new issue as on my actual Mac I'm running a Samsung SSD without these issues.

your Macbook support, no more 1TB flash storage,that would be the reason for that try a clean installation on Mojave

your Macbook support, no more 1TB flash storage,that would be the reason for that try a clean installation on Mojave

Hi Minman, Does your post refer to my issue with the slow boot?

I took a video of my boot in order to catch what was happening after this hangup as everyones hangup is after "Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory" but you have a few things after that before it hangs. If you look you'll see a bunch of spaceman_trim_free... entrees. Mine says
spaceman_trim_free_blocks:3245: scan took 10.743583s, trims took 10.082036s.

So, yes, most likely your issue is the SSD. It must be a new issue as on my actual Mac I'm running a Samsung SSD without these issues.

Well, the SSD works fine -- I think. The system just boots slowly.

Check out what a Google search brings up.
macbook pro slow boot mojave - Google Search

Thanks for the suggestion. I've already done that before originally posting and have read a LOT of entries but I can't really tie all the disparate information together.

Is it:
-Hackintosh vs Apple?
-HFS+ vs APFS?
-SSD Capacity limitations?
-Internal vs External SSD Boot?
-SSD Adaptor?
-TRIM?

There doesn't seem to be any specific/straight answer or solution.

1. Mid-2015 MacBook Pro Retina w/ 500GB OEM SSD - High Sierra last iteration - I think it was about an 18-20 second boot as I recall. (My brother-in-law's older MacBook Pro boots in about 10 seconds -- albeit with a 128GB SSD.)
  2. Same machine now running Mojave 10.14.3 w/ 'upgraded' internal 2TB SSD [EVO 970 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD] via the most recent Sintech adaptor - now 35 seconds every boot.

I'm on APFS and haven't got any practical way to go back to HFS+ (if that's even the actual issue).
The motherboard (logicboard?) only supports 1TB SSD?

Totally lost here :)

Is it:
-Hackintosh vs Apple?
-HFS+ vs APFS?
-SSD Capacity limitations?
-Internal vs External SSD Boot?
-SSD Adaptor?
-TRIM?
My Air with the oem 128gb boots in 4 seconds. My 5.2Ghz 6 core system with one of the fastest NVME SSD's on the market takes 38 seconds. So, yes it's irritating and I can't tell you what the solution is, because it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Something triggers OSX to run trim during boot and in some cases it takes a long time. This is really true for non-oem drives. It has nothing to do with it being a real or hackintosh system. It's an OSX thing. I was just trying to show you that it's normal and the issue is with Trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back