Contribute
Register

Mojave 10.14.5 installation on LG gram 17 stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audio out via 1/8" jack and hdmi, or have those issues been ironed out? Were you at least getting full resolution? Is there a photo of it running MacOS so I can gauge the control dimensions and anti-alias? I noticed some people don't like the default settings on the 16" MB.
(FWIW I'm not a hackintosh newb. Been doing it ever since OS X came out for Intel on at least a dozen machines)

According to an article I just found the default calibration isn't that bad this my impression was probably due to the hyperreal promotional images on the display model:

It all looks good, well except for the extremely glossy screen. I swear it would be worth it to send it to someone to put a anti-reflective coating on it for say $100.

@cloverbay well before anyone jumps on to say rtfm, you should do yourself a favor and research some of this on your own. not that no one wants to help you, but your problems are pretty straightforward and would be good info for you knowledge bank. that being said, i understand how frustrating it could be to be so close. in any case, these are your issues...

- the time issue you ran into is a multibeast issue, it corrupts the install on occasion. long and short, don't use it. you have all the clover files needed so just do that.

- thunderbolt definitely isn't working. you need to do some extra dtst work for that. i spent some cycles on it until i realized i don't have anything thunderbolt anyways and don't really care for now. if you get it working, pay it forward (or back) for others who may need the help.

- the trackpad kext isn't loaded during the install process due to the kext cache, same reason it doesn't work on reboot. just need to clear it, no windows-ness needed. as far as its responsiveness, it is what it is. i believe due to the material of the laptop it picks up various "noise" from around it. as an example, i can rest my palm on the left side of the case not touching the trackpad and it will cause it to not work. almost as if its missing some kinda palm rejection like on a multi-touch surface. plus it seams like the entire surface isn't one big trackpad and the right inch or so is a different sensor field meant for scrolling up and down in windows or something.

- they keys are mapped differently because it's a pc, again it is what it is. there is a 3rd party app to remap them if you want. google "karabiner", you can remap your hotkeys for screen brightness, etc. too.

- the eject icon is pretty standard macos. just command-drag it off like any other menu bar item.

- you're using a tv as your external monitor an it has a native 1080p panel, thats why your display is doing what it's doing. you need to override the native resolution with another 3rd party app. your built-in display can be changed the same way too. for reference, it's a 16x10 display so you would need a resolution that fits. so 1600x1000 rather than 1600x900 like you mentioned.

i think that covers all your topics. in summary, no "kexts" needed just some work and research on your part and you will be good to go.

Thank you very much for those tips.

- The time issue thing, I don't use multibeast, only use Unibeast to create the installer. Do you mean it is a Unibeast issue? Currently the OS is already installed so not an issue anymore, and if I need to reinstall, just a little inconvenience prior, not really a biggie. :)

- Thanks for letting me know about TB not working. I too don't have anything TB so also don't really care. The main thing is that the USB-c is functioning well as a USB port. Good enough for me. :thumbup:

- The trackpad is working now since the windows bootup. I don't have to go to window first everytime, that process only did once and the trackpad is now always on (or loaded). Currently using a wired mouse and am happy. :D

- I can get used to the keys mapping on this one. Not a biggie. Thanks for recommending Karabiner. :)

- Not sure if the TV has a native 1080p panel, but it is a 4K TV Panasonic OLED type. Windows supports 4K for the HDMI output but not sure if it is HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 1.4 though. Again it is not a biggie, I just want to test to know what is working and what is not. Something good to keep in mind.

Just another update:

I found out that the resolution supports full 2560x1600. The display control is a little haywired. The icon showing higher resolution "More Space" is actually lowest resolution. The higher resolution setting is actually the icon showing lower resolution. Kind of at the opposite of what the icons say. The 2nd highest resolution at 2048 is a sweet spot, but I set it to 2560 anyway.

I set the display profile to P3 and it looks great! I read this laptop supports 125% sRGB and the MBP 15" supports 127% sRGB, so don't think the difference is huge or noticeable with naked eyes.

Earphone jack not working. Fortunately I have a USB-c DAC from iBasso for my phone, so I can use that and it sounds super with earphones/cans!

The laptop is 95% working and it's good enough for me. :mrgreen:

Can you post photos (not screen shots) of the hacintosh at both resolutions so we get a sense of the proportions? Thanks

@cloverbay yup, typed multibeast when i meant unibeast. sorry if there was any confusion there. i was going to mention that you can change the scaled display resolution but honestly those are pretty unusable for me personally on the built-in display which is why i use something in between. even though you got the tv thing worked out, its still an issue related to your "native" panel resolution. just like with monitors that can display a wide range of resolutions, the panel itself physically has a set number of pixels that it wants to default to. there used to be an option in os x to use a wider range of resolutions on external displays but they removed that so you will need to modify some plists or use a 3rd party app if you want to use an "unusual" display size (4k being one of those) due to it not being a fully support gpu. i know personally if i use a system with a 630 gpu i get the correct resolution results as opposed to being backwards like you mentioned. as far as the audio, just change your alcid to 21 and that should fix the headphone issue.

Hi,

this is a great thread.

I’m thinking of getting a Gram 15z990 with the i5 processor, but before pulling the trigger I’d like to ask you guys a couple of things:

-Has anyone here swapped the internal wifi card for a compatible BCM94352Z? From what I’ve seen online the card should be accessible, but I’d like to know for sure.

-Regarding UnknownWraith’s post about adding an extra 32GB of RAM (post 48), if I understand correctly… you trick Clover into thinking there are 2 DIMMs instead of one, so it interprets the 32 GB stick as 2x16 and still keeps the 8 that are soldered onto the board? That’s an awesome trick. Have you got it working or is it just an idea for the future?

Other than that, this seems like a perfect laptop for me and there’s a lot of good info on this thread. I’m interested in getting TB3 to work, so I’ll post if I make any progress on that front.

Cheers.

Can you post photos (not screen shots) of the hacintosh at both resolutions so we get a sense of the proportions? Thanks

I would say a screen shot is better. You can see what it looks like exactly. The menu bar is really small.

I found that mac is really bad with resolution scaling but really good with color profiles consistency. Win10 has better scaling but lousy at color profiles handling.

Attached a screenshot for those interested what full 2560 resolution looks like on a mac, it is with font size max at 16 setting. You can see how tiny the system info text is.

A little consolation, the Fn key with mute and vol ctrl are working. The Fn Backlit function is also working. The rest are no-go.

And many thanks to devilofspades for another great tip. I'll look into this alcid thing soon.

@Rubble: Don't think there's swapping out the internal wifi option, at least not on the 17", it is soldered on board. You'll need to sacrifice a m.2 slot. But I don't think the smaller 15" and 13" laptops have dual m.2 slots like the 17".

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 4.23.56 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 4.23.56 AM.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Hi,

this is a great thread.

I’m thinking of getting a Gram 15z990 with the i5 processor, but before pulling the trigger I’d like to ask you guys a couple of things:

-Has anyone here swapped the internal wifi card for a compatible BCM94352Z? From what I’ve seen online the card should be accessible, but I’d like to know for sure.

-Regarding UnknownWraith’s post about adding an extra 32GB of RAM (post 48), if I understand correctly… you trick Clover into thinking there are 2 DIMMs instead of one, so it interprets the 32 GB stick as 2x16 and still keeps the 8 that are soldered onto the board? That’s an awesome trick. Have you got it working or is it just an idea for the future?

Other than that, this seems like a perfect laptop for me and there’s a lot of good info on this thread. I’m interested in getting TB3 to work, so I’ll post if I make any progress on that front.

Cheers.

yes, wifi card works fine with a couple caveats. you need to get antennas and route them through the laptop otherwise the single is turrrrblll. there is a ton of open space so pretty easy to do. the bluetooth on the wifi is usb, and not sure if the 15" uses a ngff slot or m.2. if it's m.2 then you need to try and solder the usb pins to the mb for native bt. i got the onboard bt working via my workaround i posted so i never bothered.

again, yes. extra 32gb ram works fine.

there are some threads on thunderbolt and pretty sure i had it working, but again no thunderbolt 3 devices to test. unfortunately this is now my daily driver so i don't have a whole lot of time to experiment since i'm constantly using it.

my only gripe which i hope we can work out is the battery life is **** now. most likely due to poor power management. from a supposed "19 hour" battery life, i'm lucky if i get 4 tops. standby and sleep do last quite a long time as one would expect but would have liked to get at least 8 hours. my work shipped me a new mbp to use and that thing is a brick compared to this and actually prefer this over an actual mbp.

Thanks guys.

@Rubble: Don't think there's swapping out the internal wifi option, at least not on the 17", it is soldered on board. You'll need to sacrifice a m.2 slot. But I don't think the smaller 15" and 13" laptops have dual m.2 slots like the 17".
That's a shame because they used to make these with removable wifi cards.
The 15" does have dual m.2 slots, I believe it's just like the 17" in that regard.

yes, wifi card works fine with a couple caveats. you need to get antennas and route them through the laptop otherwise the single is turrrrblll. there is a ton of open space so pretty easy to do. the bluetooth on the wifi is usb, and not sure if the 15" uses a ngff slot or m.2. if it's m.2 then you need to try and solder the usb pins to the mb for native bt. i got the onboard bt working via my workaround i posted so i never bothered.
I'm reluctant to give up an m.2 slot because I'm pretty keen on having separate drives for system and data. I'll probably stick with the USB wifi option for the moment and use your VM trick for BT.
I have a TB3 RAID I'll be trying to get up and running, so I can use that for test purposes. I have zero knowledge of battery management, but I'll sure see if I can contribute in any way.

2020 version announced with various improvements:

Ice Lake has 2x the grahics performance:

Assuming Apple adopts Ice Lake (very likely), I'm very likely to buy this.

cloverbay: Thanks for the screen shot. Full screen on my 17" MBPro gives me a good sense of scale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back