Contribute
Register

Mojave 10.14.5 installation on LG gram 17 stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the drives, are you saying you can have a mix of SATA and NVMe in the same system? I thought I'd seen elsewhere that you couldn't mix the two.

Good thing I didn't hear that before I tried it, otherwise I might have listened. Not sure why it'd be a problem to have a mix. It works fine on desktops, and there's no warnings anywhere that I've seen not to mix them on the Gram. The only thing I'd say is to make sure you put the NVMe in the x4 slot, not the x2 slot, and put the SATA drive in the x2 slot. Both are labelled as SATA and either x4 or x2. SATA on the x2 enumerates as disk0 for me, NVMe on the x4 enumerates as disk1. The x2 slot will still be faster than an m.2 SATA3 drive can push, but a fast NVMe drive will benefit from x4 over x2.

Out of curiosity, are you running a Costco version or a regular?

I heard about the Costco deal right after we bought ours, but my understanding is it had slightly lower specs...hope that wasn't just the drive or RAM, both of which were meant to be (and actually were) replaced. Not sure how much the Costco deal costs, but mine was ~1400, IIRC. I plan to take the 512GB SATA drive and 8GB SODIMM that came with mine and stick it in my wife's machine, to replace the 256GB drive and 4GB SODIMM (8GB->12GB upgrade) hers came with, so I don't have to deal with the NVMe issue (she doesn't really need an NVMe drive for anything, given that she's not a power user and the m.2 SATA drives are enough to yield boot and launch times of a few seconds). If you get your NVMe drive to boot, please let me know. It might just be an issue for install. Part of me is tempted to try a Catalina install on hers, but I'm concerned about being the first to do it, especially since hers is the 15", which is an i5, so I'm expecting to have to create a whole new DSDT/SSDT, since the 17" DSDT most likely won't work (I'm still going to try it, though, just in case it gets it through boot and install and leaves me with a working system).

You've been more help than anyone else here, and I appreciate it.

Glad I could help, but I wouldn't have managed to do it without @rdmitry0911 laying the ground work for the Gram. I've been lucky in the past in that I haven't had to do any DSDT/SSDT work to get my other Hackintoshes to work, but I know I'm most likely going to have to do some for my wife's 15". I'm okay with it...before I do hers, I'm probably going to try to get the backlight adjustment keys working (it should be pretty easy, provided I can determine what they're sending), as it's a pretty good DSDT starter task. RehabMan's guide lays it out pretty well, so once I've got everything set up, I believe it should be fairly straightforward to accomplish. Perhaps then I'll be comfortable fixing some of the ACPI errors and maybe that'll even get it stop rebooting randomly after wake (I suspect something is fishy with the DSDT/SSDTs and is causing the WDT to trigger a few minutes after wake, since the machine literally just reboots unceremoniously...it's a shame it's fairly random and doesn't always happen...makes it a lot harder to diagnose and fix).

Last edited:
Hopefully I'm done after these few tasks I mentioned, but keep an eye out for a bit, ok?

I'm subscribed to the thread, since I've posted to it, so if I'm on here and see I have notifications or look at updates in my email, I'll see that you posted to the thread and I'll check in. Please do update on whether you get an NVMe install working and the details of the Costco deal, as I'm curious and still have a little time to grab one if it makes enough of a difference to be worthwhile.

Hi, I've this clover work on my LG 17z990, but battery status not showing, no battery icon appeared.
Is there anyone let battery status working?

Works fine for me, but I didn't use Unibeast or Multibeast. I simply installed Clover, then cleaned up everything I didn't need and copied @rdmitry0911's Clover config and kexts. I've since cleaned up the config.plist to remove unused patches and to configure a couple of items. I do plan to fix the backlight keys and get ACPI power status working better (it shows as being on battery until you unplug and replug the power adapter...not a big deal, but the installer complains, as does tge package installer. It clearly works once you unplug the charger, so I suspect this is just a minor DSDT issue. I need to get ACPI debugging working on this machine, so I can try to fix these last few DSDT oddities. I will post my config if I fix anything.

@mikhailt I think buying it at Costco might have been worth it, if I were guaranteed the 512GB NVMe drive, but the current deal is $1500 for a 15" i7 with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB drive (probably SATA, as they usually are on LG Grams), so that's more money for a smaller display. Of course, right now this machine is rebooting every few minutes, so that's not great. I think I may have a hardware issue.

Hi guyz... got caught up in sum odr work..! I updated from 10.14.6 to OS Catalina through Software Updates directly. Update was smooth, without any KPs. However, do install latest version of Clover 5070 and all the basic Kexts b4 upgrading. Also, VoodooI2C works in Catalina. I am also using VirtualSMC package Kexts instead of FakeSMC. Audio works for internal speakers and headphones after entering layoutID(alcid) as 21 in bootargs. Mic doesn’t work. Also, FT and Messages dont work as b4. Hav fun upgrading..!

Hello all at TonyMac!
Thanks mainly to posts in this forum, I bought a 2019 17" LG Gram with the hope of running macOS. I've never done anything like this before and (surprise, surprise) I haven't been able to get macOS Mojave install to work after several tries.

Since this macOS hacking world is completely new to me, I might have missed some things that are basic to the pros. And since this is my first post, I might get a thing or two confused / backwards. With a little help and direction, I'm sure I'll get it all figured out :headbang:

Anyhow, here's the "Step by Step" guide I created for myself, compiled mostly from several posts in this forum. It has some notes for me to get what I'm doing, as well as notes on issues that I ran into. I followed it exactly:

1 - Do LG Update in Windows (19 updates done for me)

2 - Make USB boot drive using Unibeast Mojave (made on a Mac running Mojave) formatted HFS+ journaled and GUID, as per this link:

* USB drive must be 32GB or less. If USB drive is larger, create partition of 32GB or less, which I did

3 - When finished... Delete Clover on USB boot drive then drag and drop rdmitry0911's Clover in its place

4 - Download Multibeast and drag and drop it to the USB installer, at root level.
(Multibeast allows you to configure the installation on your PC)​

5 - Set proper BIOS setting on your LG Gram:

a) Boot LG gram into BIOS​
keep F2 pressed down at LG boot up screen to enter BIOS​
b) Enable UEFI boot (this was already default enabled)​
c) Change secure boot configuration to disabled.​
Found in Security Tab - go into SECURE BOOT CONFIGURATION​
d) Legacy OS - disabled (not sure I did this right, but think I found a way to do it?)​
Under the Security Tab, SECURE BOOT CONFIGURATION, under “Install Default Secure Boot Keys” press YES?? (Description says it will block booting to Legacy OS) is this right?
e) Disable the TPM configuration. Under the Security Tab Set “Current Selected TPM Device” to Disabled (Default was set to fTPM)​
f) Select USB as option #1 in the Boot Tab.​
(puts USB device to 1st place in boot order)​
g) Save changes in BIOS and exit.​

MADE NO OTHER BIOS ADJUSTMENTS
MADE NO ADDITIONS OR ADJUSTMENTS (No kexts, etc) ON THE COMPUTER

6 - Boot USB drive and install Mojave

This is where it stalls :banghead:

I get Apple logo but it never completes. After about 1/2 way through, the small white Apple logo turns into a bigger white Apple logo, then soon thereafter, I get 2 full screen blank and white icon pictures, that look like computer with green ON/OFF switch, as if to say “turn off”?

See attached pix​

NEXT STEPS THAT I HAVEN’T GOTTEN TO... YET:

7 - After installation, boot into Mojave Mac OS system

8 - Run Multibeast to create SSD drive's EFI

9 - Replace the Clover using rdmitry0911's Clover

10 - Reboot.

11 - what else is needed after this to get things running tip-top-like??

So there you have it. I'd super appreciate any feedback / suggestions.

Thanks!

PS - on a related note, since I don't want to brick my LG in this process, I tried to clone my stock LG Gram HD to an exterior HD, but I wasn't able to boot from it. Any suggestions for how to clone a bootable copy of my system would be super awesome. Thx!

Attachments

• IMG_9072.jpg
    IMG_9072.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9075.jpg
    IMG_9075.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9082.jpg
    IMG_9082.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9084.jpg
    IMG_9084.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 72
Hello all at TonyMac!
Thanks mainly to posts in this forum, I bought a 2019 17" LG Gram with the hope of running macOS. I've never done anything like this before and (surprise, surprise) I haven't been able to get macOS Mojave install to work after several tries.

Since this macOS hacking world is completely new to me, I might have missed some things that are basic to the pros. And since this is my first post, I might get a thing or two confused / backwards. With a little help and direction, I'm sure I'll get it all figured out :headbang:

Anyhow, here's the "Step by Step" guide I created for myself, compiled mostly from several posts in this forum. It has some notes for me to get what I'm doing, as well as notes on issues that I ran into. I followed it exactly:

1 - Do LG Update in Windows (19 updates done for me)

2 - Make USB boot drive using Unibeast Mojave (made on a Mac running Mojave) formatted HFS+ journaled and GUID, as per this link:

* USB drive must be 32GB or less. If USB drive is larger, create partition of 32GB or less, which I did

3 - When finished... Delete Clover on USB boot drive then drag and drop rdmitry0911's Clover in its place

4 - Download Multibeast and drag and drop it to the USB installer, at root level.
(Multibeast allows you to configure the installation on your PC)​

5 - Set proper BIOS setting on your LG Gram:

a) Boot LG gram into BIOS​
keep F2 pressed down at LG boot up screen to enter BIOS​
b) Enable UEFI boot (this was already default enabled)​
c) Change secure boot configuration to disabled.​
Found in Security Tab - go into SECURE BOOT CONFIGURATION​
d) Legacy OS - disabled (not sure I did this right, but think I found a way to do it?)​
Under the Security Tab, SECURE BOOT CONFIGURATION, under “Install Default Secure Boot Keys” press YES?? (Description says it will block booting to Legacy OS) is this right?
e) Disable the TPM configuration. Under the Security Tab Set “Current Selected TPM Device” to Disabled (Default was set to fTPM)​
f) Select USB as option #1 in the Boot Tab.​
(puts USB device to 1st place in boot order)​
g) Save changes in BIOS and exit.​

MADE NO OTHER BIOS ADJUSTMENTS
MADE NO ADDITIONS OR ADJUSTMENTS (No kexts, etc) ON THE COMPUTER

6 - Boot USB drive and install Mojave

This is where it stalls :banghead:

I get Apple logo but it never completes. After about 1/2 way through, the small white Apple logo turns into a bigger white Apple logo, then soon thereafter, I get 2 full screen blank and white icon pictures, that look like computer with green ON/OFF switch, as if to say “turn off”?

See attached pix​

NEXT STEPS THAT I HAVEN’T GOTTEN TO... YET:

7 - After installation, boot into Mojave Mac OS system

8 - Run Multibeast to create SSD drive's EFI

9 - Replace the Clover using rdmitry0911's Clover

10 - Reboot.

11 - what else is needed after this to get things running tip-top-like??

So there you have it. I'd super appreciate any feedback / suggestions.

Thanks!

PS - on a related note, since I don't want to brick my LG in this process, I tried to clone my stock LG Gram HD to an exterior HD, but I wasn't able to boot from it. Any suggestions for how to clone a bootable copy of my system would be super awesome. Thx!

first, thanks to everyone for providing such helpful information.

i wanted to ask what everyone's wifi & bluetooth solutions have been. after hours of digging and testing, it definitely doesn't seem like the intel 9560 works. has anyone gotten around this, if not what was your workaround? i am open to a usb wifi adapter if needed, but would really like to resolve the bluetooth component as well. does anyone know if one could use an actual mac wifi car w/ an adapter in the m.2 slot?

first, thanks to everyone for providing such helpful information.

i wanted to ask what everyone's wifi & bluetooth solutions have been. after hours of digging and testing, it definitely doesn't seem like the intel 9560 works. has anyone gotten around this, if not what was your workaround? i am open to a usb wifi adapter if needed, but would really like to resolve the bluetooth component as well. does anyone know if one could use an actual mac wifi car w/ an adapter in the m.2 slot?

I have added a macbook air card (bcm94360cs2) and it works well for wifi. Messages and facetime also working, but bluetooth will not work because bluetooth on these cards is connected through USB and the m.2 slot cannot accommodate usb. There is a separate connection to get the bluetooth hooked up to the motherboard but it either requires a desktop USB motherboard connection or soldering wires to motherboard (which will eat up a usb stop on your laptop). I have never been able to get bluetooth working through the internal intel card, no matter how many times i boot windows or linux.

@finalflash What adapter and antennae did you use to get the card to work?

@devilofspades I use a TP-Link AC600 USB dongle, as I need to figure out how viable m.2 WiFi is, given the slots are M key (socket 3) and WiFi is A/E key (socket 1). Once you install the driver from their site, it's great (connects faster than my older MBP's built-in WiFi). I'd also suggest a BT dongle that can do BLE, so it can support the widest variety of devices (my pre-BLE dongle on another Hackintosh can't connect to my new Logitech MX device, so it's time to upgrade for that machine).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back