Contribute
Register

Modern Motherboard, older OS...incompatible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z270-HD3
CPU
Intel i-7 7700
Graphics
N/A (Intel graphics)
Hi and thanks for a great forum!

I've recently built the following:
-GIGABYTE GA-Z270-HD3 LGA1151 Intel 2-Way Crossfire ATX
-intel i7 7700 (not k)
-Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s
-Samsung EVO 250 (+ a second internal EVO, 500)
-No graphics card (planning to use integrated graphics)

Hopefully my question has a simple answer; base on this hardware, are there ANY OSX versions that will not (and cannot) work on this computer? My goal is Mountain Lion (for compatibility with some work software), but I've been told that my hardware may be too advanced for (and not compatible with) this OS. True? Untrue? Reasons why? Possible fixes (outside of replacing hardware; I'll just choose a different OS if I have to).

Thank y'all so much!

p.s. searched the forum and couldn't find much on this topic; most folks aren't installing operating systems this old these days, it seems.

[EDIT] DID find some stuff, most points to this being essentially not possible. I'll leave this post up in case anyone has a similar question, but feel free to delete!

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for a great forum!

I've recently built the following:
-GIGABYTE GA-Z270-HD3 LGA1151 Intel 2-Way Crossfire ATX
-intel i7 7700 (not k)
-Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s
-Samsung EVO 250 (+ a second internal EVO, 500)
-No graphics card (planning to use integrated graphics)

Hopefully my question has a simple answer; base on this hardware, are there ANY OSX versions that will not (and cannot) work on this computer? My goal is Mountain Lion (for compatibility with some work software), but I've been told that my hardware may be too advanced for (and not compatible with) this OS. True? Untrue? Reasons why? Possible fixes (outside of replacing hardware; I'll just choose a different OS if I have to).

Thank y'all so much!

p.s. searched the forum and couldn't find much on this topic; most folks aren't installing operating systems this old these days, it seems.

[EDIT] DID find some stuff, most points to this being essentially not possible. I'll leave this post up in case anyone has a similar question, but feel free to delete!

As you yourself have found out, you cannot install Mountain Lion on your system. Basically Mountain Lion, which was released in 2012, has no support for your hardware, which was released in 2017. You will need MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 or High Sierra.

Once you installed MacOS Sierra or High Sierra on your system, you may be able to get Mountain Lion to run in a virtual machine using VM software like VMware Fusion, however.

As you yourself have found out, you cannot install Mountain Lion on your system. Basically Mountain Lion, which was released in 2012, has no support for your hardware, which was released in 2017. You will need MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 or High Sierra.

Once you installed MacOS Sierra or High Sierra on your system, you may be able to get Mountain Lion to run in a virtual machine using VM software like VMware Fusion, however.

Thanks for the reply; it was rather noob of me, but I never considered having hardware too advanced to run older software. I'm now on Sierra and doing just fine. Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply; it was rather noob of me, but I never considered having hardware too advanced to run older software. I'm now on Sierra and doing just fine. Thanks again!

If you really want to run Mountain Lion natively, you will need much older hardware. For example, my older build and backup builds, based on hardware released in 2011/2012, will be able to run Mountain Lion natively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back