Contribute
Register

Modding the 1000 W G5 PSU into ATX PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a functioning 1000 W PSU for the G5. I am wanting to mod this into a working ATX power supply. However, there is one big point of concern. I noticed that some of the voltages for the ATX PSU are not present with the G5 PSU. Also, what are the pinouts for P1 and P2? Are they the same for the earlier models?

I was also wondering if anyone had any success in converting the G5 PSU into an ATX PSU (for the 10000 W model)?

Or would it be better if I used an existing ATX PSU and modded it to fit with the G5 PSU case?

Thank you

Hello all,

I have a functioning 1000 W PSU for the G5. I am wanting to mod this into a working ATX power supply. However, there is one big point of concern. I noticed that some of the voltages for the ATX PSU are not present with the G5 PSU. Also, what are the pinouts for P1 and P2? Are they the same for the earlier models?

I was also wondering if anyone had any success in converting the G5 PSU into an ATX PSU (for the 10000 W model)?

Or would it be better if I used an existing ATX PSU and modded it to fit with the G5 PSU case?

Thank you

Personnaly I prefer to fit the new ATX power supply into the original G5 case. It's more reliable and you already have the connectors you need to make everything in your case work. Keep in mind that the power supply can fry all the parts you put in that case, are you willing to risk that?

Personnaly I prefer to fit the new ATX power supply into the original G5 case. It's more reliable and you already have the connectors you need to make everything in your case work. Keep in mind that the power supply can fry all the parts you put in that case, are you willing to risk that?

I think that it is worth it

Also worth remembering, a lot of the G5 power supplies still work but they may be plagued with the bad caps of that time- I personally had two fail on me within a few years of each other. It's a little more work to fit a new PSU in the old casing, but it's probably going to be more reliable, quieter, and more economical in terms of power draw.

I think that it is worth it

Modern ATX12V power supplies are vastly superior to the older units from the early 2000's (G5 vintage). Using an older power supply ( ATX or G5) may expose your modern motherboard, GPU and RAM to overloading from failing capacitors as well as outdated technology.

A Corsair RM750i will easily fit inside an empty G5 PSU case after you remove the fan from the RM750 unit.

Modern ATX12V power supplies are vastly superior to the older units from the early 2000's (G5 vintage). Using an older power supply ( ATX or G5) may expose your modern motherboard, GPU and RAM to overloading from failing capacitors as well as outdated technology.

A Corsair RM750i will easily fit inside an empty G5 PSU case after you remove the fan from the RM750 unit.

So then what determines if a power supply is compatible with a G5 PSU case or not?

So then what determines if a power supply is compatible with a G5 PSU case or not?

G5 Case - ATX12V PSU Compatibility - see Corsair RM750x above:
  1. Fully modular cabling that reaches components, e.g., GPU, SATA drive bay, etc.
  2. 2-pin fan connector (white connector - attaches to red fan wiring in 1/4" plastic tube, left side above)
  3. Total height of ATX12V PSU (with installed fan removed) must fit inside G5 case
  4. Sufficient space to route 24-pin cable inside PSU case, between PCB and side of case (right side, photo above; 24-pin cable connects to mobo about in center of G5 case - position PCB as close to left side of PSU case as possible to provide maximum space on right side)
  5. Clear path for air from fans (photo - top) to cool coils and capacitors (modular power cable ports are positioned away from fans to avoid blocking airflow)

Last edited:
Have a question what kind of fans are u using for cool a psu? Does they operate on full speed or psu is able to control rpm's somehow? Cause normally you have to use 3/4 pin connector for voltage/pwm rpm control...

Have a question what kind of fans are u using for cool a psu? Does they operate on full speed or psu is able to control rpm's somehow? Cause normally you have to use 3/4 pin connector for voltage/pwm rpm control...

Using the original Delta fans from the G5 PSU case. They are connect to the 2-pin connector on the Corsair RM750X PSU. The fans spin on startup and then remain idle most of the time. Hardly ever hear them. These fans are controlled by the Corsair PSU. If you want to run them PWM you would probably need new 60 mm fans connected to the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back