Graphics
geforce 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
First of all: Hi, I'm al0a and I'm new to this forum.

Second: I hope my question is at the right place!

I want to start my first mac pro G5 mod and i want to build my psu into the original casing of the old psu.
Still didn't buy a psu 'thou, i was thinking to go with a Corsair, for modular features. Now I was wondering if it was smart to get the psu out of it's case ( i know that my warranty will be gone) and work with the original two 60mm fans instead of the on big one. I was thinking to solder the big one out, and solder the 2 small fans in parallel, but then i was wondering if you take one of the RM series, will the fans also stop/slow down when the build uses less power?

ps: i'm sorry if you don't understand my 'problem', English isn't my native language.

Should be possible!
Most of the PSU fans are really simple and just regulated by voltage!
But why not use a 120mm fan?

IMG_1618.jpg

Should be possible!
Most of the PSU fans are really simple and just regulated by voltage!
But why not use a 120mm fan?

IMG_1618.jpg

This looks neat! (thanks for your reply btw) Well, i was thinking about it, but then i wondered how the airflow would be.
'Cause the 2 60mm fans blow straight trough the case, and i wonder what it does with just one 120mm fan on top of it?

If I go for the original fan, what is the best way to place your fan, to blow inside the psu, or to suck air out of the psu?

I placed the PSU parts in the back and the fan in the front, because the height is not enough.
Airflow should be fine, because it has 3,5cm left to turn by 90° and go through the case. In general most PSUs have a weird airflow.

I don't like the idea of small 60mm fans with low airflow :/

This looks neat! (thanks for your reply btw) Well, i was thinking about it, but then i wondered how the airflow would be.
'Cause the 2 60mm fans blow straight trough the case, and i wonder what it does with just one 120mm fan on top of it?

If I go for the original fan, what is the best way to place your fan, to blow inside the psu, or to suck air out of the psu?

While I used 2 60mm fans to retain as much of the stock look as possible (and because I didn't cut my ATX PSU to fit it in the case), if you cut your ATX PSU case, either one will be good. You may capture warmer air from the top, but I don't think you'll have any overheating issues, since air will be exhausted out both sides of the case.

First of all: Hi, I'm al0a and I'm new to this forum.

Second: I hope my question is at the right place!

I want to start my first mac pro G5 mod and i want to build my psu into the original casing of the old psu.
Still didn't buy a psu 'thou, i was thinking to go with a Corsair, for modular features. Now I was wondering if it was smart to get the psu out of it's case ( i know that my warranty will be gone) and work with the original two 60mm fans instead of the on big one. I was thinking to solder the big one out, and solder the 2 small fans in parallel, but then i was wondering if you take one of the RM series, will the fans also stop/slow down when the build uses less power?

ps: i'm sorry if you don't understand my 'problem', English isn't my native language.

Branhower - I have completed several G5 PM hacks and have re-used the original 60 mm fans, running on the 5 VDC rail in parallel and have not experienced any issue. I ran one system for 2+ years up 24/7 as my main home machine. That machine is a little dated and is set aside in favor of my newer hacks.

And of interest, I shortened the original PSU case for the TOP and re-used the fans. Again at 5 VDC. That project is at: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/104010-neilharts-tower-power-top-short-file-server.html

Good modding,
neil

Branhower - I have completed several G5 PM hacks and have re-used the original 60 mm fans, running on the 5 VDC rail in parallel and have not experienced any issue. I ran one system for 2+ years up 24/7 as my main home machine. That machine is a little dated and is set aside in favor of my newer hacks.

And of interest, I shortened the original PSU case for the TOP and re-used the fans. Again at 5 VDC. That project is at: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/104010-neilharts-tower-power-top-short-file-server.html

Good modding,
neil

These types of mods are my favorite, where everything looks like it just belongs together.
Stellar work Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back