Asus NVIDEA GeForce GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I'm starting to doubt my previously selected mobo: the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. I'll have a Intel i7 3770k CPU and a ASUS GeForce GTX 660 video card. I'm planning on doing the following with my machine at some point in the future.

1. Overclock
2. Run multiple GPU's
3. Run triple display
4. Fit Noctua NH-D14

Used for
5. Graphic Production (Adobe Suite)
6. 3d Design (Solidworks)
7. Gaming

Is this mobo sufficient? I prefer something that works well OOB but I'm just looking for input to see if I'm even on the right track. It's the last thing my build is waiting on.

Thanks,
flyfid

Hello,

I'm starting to doubt my previously selected mobo: the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. I'll have a Intel i7 3770k CPU and a ASUS GeForce GTX 660 video card. I'm planning on doing the following with my machine at some point in the future.

1. Overclock

This board supports overclocking.

2. Run multiple GPU's

It has two x16 PCIe slots (though the second runs only at x4).

3. Run triple display

This isn't really a function of the motherboard so much as of your graphics card(s).

4. Fit Noctua NH-D14

I looked at the specs of the Noctua NH-D14 and the motherboard, and it looks like it should fit. The only possible tight spot would be the RAM, but low-profile RAM should help there.

Used for
5. Graphic Production (Adobe Suite)
6. 3d Design (Solidworks)
7. Gaming

Is this mobo sufficient? I prefer something that works well OOB but I'm just looking for input to see if I'm even on the right track. It's the last thing my build is waiting on.

Again, the performance isn't dependent on the motherboard as much as the CPU and graphics card. You should be fine for your intended purpose. As for working OOB, this board is on the recommended hardware list in the Buyer's Guide, so it'll work.

Great, thanks for your response nobodynose. I'm still concerned though, because I've been reading reviews on Newegg and many of the mobos in the Gigabyte line have negative reviews. It seems that Gigabyte is a very cheaply-made board.

Is there a preferred option that would be comparable in compatibility and features from another manufacturer? (I know it wouldn't be listed in the buyer's guide because it is very Gigabyte biased)

I don't want to throw my money away on a mobo that will fail.

-flyfid

PC/Windows user here. Gygabite has great reputation. Too good to question. Everybody buys it. I personally use Asus mobos for my Windows systems. Z77 V Pro is golden standard for mid range custom PC builds in Ivy Bridge, but again- have no experience with Macs yet.

Great, thanks for your response nobodynose. I'm still concerned though, because I've been reading reviews on Newegg and many of the mobos in the Gigabyte line have negative reviews. It seems that Gigabyte is a very cheaply-made board.

To counter that, there was an article that was posted on this site a few weeks ago (sorry, I can't seem to find the reference) from a reputable industry blog that said Gigabyte currently has the lowest return rate on motherboards in the industry. I know this is hearsay since I can't find the reference to post, but take it however you want to.

Is there a preferred option that would be comparable in compatibility and features from another manufacturer? (I know it wouldn't be listed in the buyer's guide because it is very Gigabyte biased)

Just a note on that last comment...the buyer's guide is Gigabyte "biased" because Gigabyte boards are pretty much the only ones that don't have part of the UEFI BIOS locked that deals with sleep/SpeedStep (see http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/71307-modified-uefi-rom-faq.html#post443477 for a better explanation).

I don't want to throw my money away on a mobo that will fail.

All manufacturers have a certain failure rate, the laws of physics and statistics dictate that. Buying one brand or another cannot guarantee your particular motherboard will or will not fail within its useful lifetime. The more important thing is to look at the manufacturer's warranty as an insurance policy so that if yours happens to be one of the "bad" ones, they will repair or replace it.

I'm not a Gigabyte fanboy -- I've had one Gigabyte board fail on me (actually it was shipped with a defect - one of the CPU socket pins was slightly bent in such a way that it worked fine for a while, then failed, I was lucky my CPU didn't get fried), and they replaced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back