Contribute
Register

Mobile Kepler GT 650M working on OSX!! (No Optimus) Need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope...it does not work in windows if I disable nVidia!
The only options I got is to make nVidia detect my display disabling Intel card or to make VGA working for HD4000 on Mav.
But it seems that nobody knows the reason why the driver does not detect any display attached. :/
That's sad!!
I can't use any external monitor!! :/ and my laptop is 360 degrees working for the rest!!:/
Although I no longer have the computer, I had a Quadro K2100M working perfectly fine with nvidia web drivers/10.9.3 or with 10.9.1 drivers (also 10.8.5 drivers worked). That card is also kepler. The HDMI port and Displayport worked, and with the 10.9.1 drivers, the VGA port also worked. The issue I had was only waking from sleep while on battery (I'm getting a different but similar computer today to see if the different hardware might help with that).

There was a very big discussion in another forum about mobile keplers which you might want to read. Something about the vbios being built into the DSDT making it problematic. If you have a notebook model which uses an MXM card, the vbios is read from the card and it works. Otherwise, apparently, it may or may not work well.

I might want to mention that on the hardware I used (Dell Precision M4800, but I don't recommend this, as its ALPS trackpad/pointing stick is really bad, and it does have the wake from sleep on battery/nvidia issue), I was able to use the intel driver on the laptop's screen, and the nvidia driver also loaded, and worked for external screens. I have an older ASUS laptop (not sure of the model) but with that one, the intel graphics handles all of the external monitors, despite there being an nvidia card (which makes it really nice for bumblebee in linux).

Although I no longer have the computer, I had a Quadro K2100M working perfectly fine with nvidia web drivers/10.9.3 or with 10.9.1 drivers (also 10.8.5 drivers worked). That card is also kepler. The HDMI port and Displayport worked, and with the 10.9.1 drivers, the VGA port also worked. The issue I had was only waking from sleep while on battery (I'm getting a different but similar computer today to see if the different hardware might help with that).

There was a very big discussion in another forum about mobile keplers which you might want to read. Something about the vbios being built into the DSDT making it problematic. If you have a notebook model which uses an MXM card, the vbios is read from the card and it works. Otherwise, apparently, it may or may not work well.

I might want to mention that on the hardware I used (Dell Precision M4800, but I don't recommend this, as its ALPS trackpad/pointing stick is really bad, and it does have the wake from sleep on battery/nvidia issue), I was able to use the intel driver on the laptop's screen, and the nvidia driver also loaded, and worked for external screens. I have an older ASUS laptop (not sure of the model) but with that one, the intel graphics handles all of the external monitors, despite there being an nvidia card (which makes it really nice for bumblebee in linux).

Thanks for the answer.
Yes..I know about that big discussion! But unfortunately none got to a conclusion!
My hardware is very unlucky in this sense!
It is a great laptop! Very cheap! I love it! But I need to use an external monitor on that!!
That's the point!
VGA development for Intel HD 4000 on Mavericks is stopped and now I can't make my nVidia card recognize my monitor!
Is there any way to get rid of that vBIOS reading through a DSDT injection in some way?
I'd need more expert people to investigate in that.
I would even be willing to donate for this! :/

Thanks for the answer.
Yes..I know about that big discussion! But unfortunately none got to a conclusion!
My hardware is very unlucky in this sense!
It is a great laptop! Very cheap! I love it! But I need to use an external monitor on that!!
That's the point!
VGA development for Intel HD 4000 on Mavericks is stopped and now I can't make my nVidia card recognize my monitor!
Is there any way to get rid of that vBIOS reading through a DSDT injection in some way?
I'd need more expert people to investigate in that.
I would even be willing to donate for this! :/
Well, just FYI, I bought an HP Zbook 15 with a Quadro K1100M, assuming that since it is also an MXM card, it would work like the Dell would. However, the computer didn't let OS X read its VBIOS or something, and the outputs were not detected, just like your computer. I'm sending it back, but I thought I should let you know that you are, indeed, not so alone.

It's kind of sad to say this as I have usually preferred nvidia because they have always had a FreeBSD driver, but now that the open source AMD drivers are of such high quality, I would say that for non-windows users AMD is starting to become the better choice.

Well, just FYI, I bought an HP Zbook 15 with a Quadro K1100M, assuming that since it is also an MXM card, it would work like the Dell would. However, the computer didn't let OS X read its VBIOS or something, and the outputs were not detected, just like your computer. I'm sending it back, but I thought I should let you know that you are, indeed, not so alone.

It's kind of sad to say this as I have usually preferred nvidia because they have always had a FreeBSD driver, but now that the open source AMD drivers are of such high quality, I would say that for non-windows users AMD is starting to become the better choice.

That's very interesting!!
So it's not about having MXM card, external or embedded vBIOS...it's something DSDT related IMHO.
It's nVidia driver that fail recognizing the external port.
I believe that if there were many people all together working on this, we could easily solve this problem, that's because the cards are well detected and working...it's just a matter of connectors!
And I believe that experienced developers could do something for it.
Anyway I would not like to change my machine since it's perfect for me...but I'd like to have an external monitor for it! I bought it and I can use it on windows only!
It's such a shame!!
Please experienced OSX people! Help us out!!

That's very interesting!!
So it's not about having MXM card, external or embedded vBIOS...it's something DSDT related IMHO.
It's nVidia driver that fail recognizing the external port.
I believe that if there were many people all together working on this, we could easily solve this problem, that's because the cards are well detected and working...it's just a matter of connectors!
And I believe that experienced developers could do something for it.
Anyway I would not like to change my machine since it's perfect for me...but I'd like to have an external monitor for it! I bought it and I can use it on windows only!
It's such a shame!!
Please experienced OSX people! Help us out!!
The Zbook only officially supports NVIDIA cards -- only the Quadro K610M, K1100M and K2100M. Because of that, I don't know how much might be left out of the vbios -- I do know that there was an issue reading the vbios with GeforceSensors. I think that whatever port info needed to be gotten from the vbios was not obtainable.
As I said, I am sending back the computer today, so I won't be of much help with this. I've bought something else with AMD graphics to play with. If you do come up with a solution, I'd love to hear about it, though!

The Zbook only officially supports NVIDIA cards -- only the Quadro K610M, K1100M and K2100M. Because of that, I don't know how much might be left out of the vbios -- I do know that there was an issue reading the vbios with GeforceSensors. I think that whatever port info needed to be gotten from the vbios was not obtainable.
As I said, I am sending back the computer today, so I won't be of much help with this. I've bought something else with AMD graphics to play with. If you do come up with a solution, I'd love to hear about it, though!

I do hope so!! I really do hope so!
Unfortunately I don't have the skills and I'm not enough experienced to get through this alone.
I hope that someone will join me to figure it out!
Have fun with your new AMD powered PC! :D

I do hope so!! I really do hope so!
Unfortunately I don't have the skills and I'm not enough experienced to get through this alone.
I hope that someone will join me to figure it out!
Have fun with your new AMD powered PC! :D
It's possible AMD won't work well either. We'll just have to see. Worst case scenario it doesn't, and I just buy a rMBP, despite the limit of 16gb of ram and 1tb of disk space.

It's possible AMD won't work well either. We'll just have to see. Worst case scenario it doesn't, and I just buy a rMBP, despite the limit of 16gb of ram and 1tb of disk space.

That's the best choice in the end!
It's just that it's overpriced...waaay overpriced! Otherwise I would have bought it.
I payed just less than a half of the price for my machine and it's nothing different from a rMBP...it's just the software that's different, and not so much!! :D Except for the external monitor of course!! :/

Hi!

Can you explain how did you modded the bios (tools, versions, etc)?
Can you also make the software and the modded bios available for download?

Thank you!

Best Regards.

Francisco

Hi!

Can you explain how did you modded the bios (tools, versions, etc)?
Can you also make the software and the modded bios available for download?

Thank you!

Best Regards.

Francisco

I would like to help...really...but I've already been banned from this forum once! :)
I won't risk to be banned again...so if you want help contact me via PM...
reagards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back