Contribute
Register

ML: Optimized Realtek AppleHDA - Preview/Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the wrong AppleHDA.kext is installed. Try 887 Legacy installed with Kextbeast.

Hi Toleda, thanks for replying. Yes, I tried both kexts: legacy and contemporary to no avail. I've also tried the 10.7.4 kext and the lion layout id but also no joy.

So today, just in case I missed anything, I tried a fresh install of 10.8 and a rebuild of the DSDT: dtgp, lpc ich7, hpet, irq, sbus patches. On a sidenote, OSX actually boots with just fakesmc on this mobo, no need for nullcpupm or a patched AICPUPM.

This is a shame really because it seems like it is almost there. The vendor/device id is correct for the supported ALC887, the device is visible in System Information and IORegistry Explorer, the driver is showing as loaded and in use by both the ALC887 and also HDMI audio, I am also getting some assertion errors in the system.log so I assume that must mean something.

Perhaps I am missing something in my DSDT, does a fully functioning AppleHDA have any other dependancies that need adding or configuring in the DSDT?

Thanks for your help so far and if you have any more ideas I'd be grateful to hear them.

Hi toleda,

Here is what's happening with my build.

With the below HDEF edits and ML_AppleHDA-892-Alpha all my audio ports works fine except HDMI.
But with below edits and native 10.8 AppleHDA.kext HDMI port works fine but other ports don't work.
I'm confused. The screenshots and the IOReg look like the native AppleHDA.kext which will does not support 892 audio and I already know what that looks like. If you want help with the ML_AppleHDA-892-Alpha, attach screenshots and an IOReg with that kext installed

Perhaps I am missing something in my DSDT, does a fully functioning AppleHDA have any other dependancies that need adding or configuring in the DSDT?
OS X gets all the required info off the codec. With the layout-id, AppleHDA completely configures the audio system. I can not offer suggestions until I see the IOReg with legacy 887 (the current version will not work ever). In the meantime, try other 887 AppleHDA.kexts to see there is one that works. With a working version, often the configuration information can be adapted to a current kext.

OS X gets all the required info off the codec. With the layout-id, AppleHDA completely configures the audio system. I can not offer suggestions until I see the IOReg with legacy 887 (the current version will not work ever). In the meantime, try other 887 AppleHDA.kexts to see there is one that works. With a working version, often the configuration information can be adapted to a current kext.

Hi Toleda, I have attached a zip with the ioreg w/legacy kext loaded (hdacodecrevision is 100202). Also chucked in my dsdt and the output from bdmesg & dmesg (which include the audio assertion errors) for good measure.

Would it be useful having an ioreg dump with a working Voodoo kext running? I know that version 2.5.2 works, but latter ones don't. Scrub that - installed voodoo and it made my install panic on next boot.

I will try and pin down some other kexts to try also.

Your help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    277.3 KB · Views: 88
Did a Fresh instillation of ML, first boot using Unibeast USB (DSDT in extra folder) and the HDMI Audio works perfectly. IOReg attached.

Let me know if you want me to send other info or put a video.
Twice you have posted the same information supporting native 10.8 AppleHDA.kext HDMI port works fine. This information is useless if you want help with ML_AppleHDA-892-Alpha all my audio ports works fine except HDMI. Install the ML_AppleHDA-892-Alpha and reply with the screeenshots, dsdt and IOReg.

I've got an Asus P5QPL-AM mobo, ALC887, and a nVidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti. I'm trying to get audio working both on the mobo, and through the HDMI from the graphics card. After reading through this post I've tried using the 'vanilla' AppleHDA method with a patched DSDT, because this would have to lead to HDMI Audio for the nVidia card, but it did not work.

I then tried the method using the patched AppleHDA, but it didn't even give me sound on my mobo, nor through my nVidia card.

I tried editing my DSDT using the old methods for Lion, and I did get options in System Preferences/Sound, but no real sound came out of my speakers. I tested all the different outputs.

It would be great if somebody, anybody, could help me get this sorted!

(I've attached the IORegs and Screenshots for the first two scenarios I described. As well as my patched DSDT.)

Attachments

• ML AppleHDA - IOReg & Screenshot.zip
    636.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Patched AppleHDA 887 Legacy - IOReg & Screenshot.zip
    614.8 KB · Views: 86
  • dsdt.aml.zip
    13.4 KB · Views: 103
I've tried using the 'vanilla' AppleHDA method with a patched DSDT, because this would have to lead to HDMI Audio for the nVidia card, but it did not work.

I then tried the method using the patched AppleHDA, but it didn't even give me sound on my mobo, nor through my nVidia card.

I tried editing my DSDT using the old methods for Lion, and I did get options in System Preferences/Sound, but no real sound came out of my speakers. I tested all the different outputs.
What is the "vanilla" method? Your 887 codec is legacy. Has audio worked previously? If so, with what.

It looks like the layout-id is wrong with Patched AppleHDA scenario. Edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x77, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

Suggest focus on patched 887 legacy for now.

About the 'vanilla', I meant the one that comes with Mountain Lion, the stock kext. What I did was do the DSDT edit and reboot, the HDMI Audio through the nVidia card was supposed to work, but it didn't.

The audio did work using Voodoo HDA, but I got a stereo output only (Mountain Lion), and I did not test HDMI Audio. On Lion and Snow Leopard it worked using some version of a patched AppleHDA, but I can't recall which.

I've changed the layout-id, but it still won't work. IOReg, screenshot and DSDT are in the attachments.

Thanks for looking into it.

Attachments

• DSDT - Screenshot - IOReg.zip
    632.8 KB · Views: 79
About the 'vanilla', I meant the one that comes with Mountain Lion, the stock kext. What I did was do the DSDT edit and reboot, the HDMI Audio through the nVidia card was supposed to work, but it didn't.

I've changed the layout-id, but it still won't work. IOReg, screenshot and DSDT are in the attachments.
HDMI audio only works with a HDMI audio edited dsdt in OS X; no HDMI audio edits, no HDMI audio.

The layout-id edit is correct. The AppleHDA.kext installed is not correct; try MultiBeast 5.0.2/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/With DSDT/ALC887 Legacy.

HDMI audio only works with a HDMI audio edited dsdt in OS X; no HDMI audio edits, no HDMI audio.

Owke, must've "conveniently" overlooked something in your post, sorry.

I've installed the patched AppleHDA 887 Legacy through Multibeast, but it did not work. It did however give me the options in SystemPreferences/Sound. It also gave me a lot more information in IOReg, and System Profiler. These all made it seem like the audio should work, but it sadly does not. I've tried all the different output options, as well as different ports (front and rear).

Attached is a screenshot, my dsdt and my IOReg.

Attachments

• Screenshot - DSDT - IOReg.zip
    780.5 KB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back