Contribute
Register

ML not to support older Mac hardware??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comewhatevermay said:
JackCarver said:
...except Software updater gives me Updates for Late 2011 iMacs now lol.

Silly question, but does that make a difference? Would that cock anything up that I have existing gear? Or would it just add the iMac kexts to suit the specific hardware?

Thanks for your help

Cw

No it makes no difference as u don't have the specific HW an iMac has. It's just funny as i got an Update for Late 2011 iMacs after i switched to these definitions. It was an Update concerning WLAN connection problems After resuming from sleep Mode. I didn't had these Problems at all cause i have no Mac WLAN adapter in my machine.

JackCarver said:
Comewhatevermay said:
JackCarver said:
...except Software updater gives me Updates for Late 2011 iMacs now lol.

Silly question, but does that make a difference? Would that cock anything up that I have existing gear? Or would it just add the iMac kexts to suit the specific hardware?

Thanks for your help

Cw

No it makes no difference as u don't have the specific HW an iMac has. It's just funny as i got an Update for Late 2011 iMacs after i switched to these definitions. It was an Update concerning WLAN connection problems After resuming from sleep Mode. I didn't had these Problems at all cause i have no Mac WLAN adapter in my machine.

Me too! I laughed when I got the update, then thought in the back of my mind, "Silly Apple, I'm on USB!"

tonymacx86 said:
Here are a list of the Macs that are supported in Mountain Lion:

iMac (mid 2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

This means the following Macs which are supported under OS X Lion will not be able to run Mountain Lion (model identifiers in parentheses):

Late 2006 iMacs (iMac5,1, iMac5,2, iMac6,1)
All plastic MacBooks that pre-date the aluminum unibody redesign (MacBook2,1, MacBook3,1, MacBook4,1)
MacBook Pros released prior to June 2007 (MacBookPro2,1, MacBookPro2,2)
The original MacBook Air (MacBookAir1,1)
The Mid-2007 Mac mini (Macmini2,1)
The original Mac Pro and its 8-core 2007 refresh (MacPro1,1, MacPro2,1)
Late 2006 and Early 2008 Xserves (Xserve1,1, Xserve2,1)

Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/16/mountain ... ac-models/

mmm the xserve :D Its really too bad they had to fase that out :(

Anybody remember XPostFacto from a long time ago? It let you install OSX on "unsupported" PPC hardware. I used it on an old beige G3 with a CPU upgrade and flashed PCI Radeon 7000 to upgrade past Jaguar, and it ran pretty much without problems until the motherboard failed. This is the first major hardware drop since the Intel transition, so I would not be at all surprised if similar packages for unsupported Intel Macs start showing up.

The issue that we won't be able to over come is that Mountain Lion is a 64-bit only system and only supports 64-bit kexts.

So it will only run on a 64-bit CPU in 64-bit mode.

That makes it impossible to do something like XPostFacto and fake out the installer.

MacMan said:
The issue that we won't be able to over come is that Mountain Lion is a 64-bit only system and only supports 64-bit kexts.

So it will only run on a 64-bit CPU in 64-bit mode.

That makes it impossible to do something like XPostFacto and fake out the installer.

But it shouldn't be the same case as XPostFacto because that worked in a different way. The hardware worked but the installer was blacklisting certain models even though they had compatible hardware.

As far as I can tell, for Mountain Lion, it's just driver issues because there are plenty of reports of people who got ML working on their Macs with GMA 950/X3100 (like my 2008 black MacBook). On top of that ML Server says it works on "any Core 2 Duo" or newer CPU so I would be surprised if it wasn't a simple hack to get 10.8 working on these machines.

Either way I don't know how far I want to go from 10.6.8 :crazy: but we'll see how that goes

Ars Technica reports it is confirmed in the Mountain Lion gold master. Older Macs with 32-bit graphics drivers have been left behind, due to the end of 32-bit kext support. The list of Macs that cannot run Mountain Lion has not changed.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/co ... ood-night/

no news about this topic?

I mean, It's been several weeks since the launch of ML and some people tried to install in older unsupported machines without more or less success.

From my point of view I think that the problem, in case of for example, my old white macbook 2,1 is first run under EFI64 instead of EFI32, install chameleon/ change system definition to one supported and install osx mountain lion, maybe using unibeast+multibeast?

the problem come with the unsupported hard, which in that case is the gpu, there is no kexts or any way of running this integrated graphic card (intel gma 950) in mountain lion?

Ironically it seems that you could install osx anywhere with the tools provided by the osx86 community, except in old macs hehehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back