Contribute
Register

ML not to support older Mac hardware??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So given the rate at which they cut off old gear, you could assume it'll only be 12 - 18 months before they cut the MacPro3,1.

So tony is you listening, or anyone else, Given that a lot of the Hack's out there are using the 3,1 definition, does this mean we'll be screwed or is there a workaround?

Cheers,

cw

To change definitions isn't that complicated.I switched from 3,1 Mac Pro to iMac 12,2

I think u can do this with MB i did it with Chameleon Witard, it has predefined definitions.

Yes it worked Great for me and i switched from Mac pro 3,1 to iMac 12.2 i think. Didn't get any Problems except Software updater gives me Updates for Late 2011 iMacs now lol.

roto31 said:
You have to make a cut-off somewhere, for two reasons a). to get people to upgrade to a new machine which will benefit them especially if it is for a business and b). it keeps people from complaining that the "newest" OS will not run properly on "my perfectly good 7 year old computer". We do not want to become MS and start pissing people off.

Whilst I agree with your b) reason, I think it is up to the individual or business to decide what the benefit of an upgrade means to them, and if they want to "benefit" at all. Sometimes the benefit is just humbug and the average home user couldn't give a toss. What I do for instance (not a great deal :) ) I would be able to do in 5 years time, but will be forced to buy new hardware eventually because the OS with nice new features by then will not work on my hardware. What I don't like is, that it won't work because the manufacturers don't want it to work, not because it couldn't.

JackCarver said:
...except Software updater gives me Updates for Late 2011 iMacs now lol.

Silly question, but does that make a difference? Would that cock anything up that I have existing gear? Or would it just add the iMac kexts to suit the specific hardware?

Thanks for your help

Cw

Looking at the way the osx is becoming more ios ,it seems to me that imacs and macbooks are going to be touchscreen in the near future .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back