Contribute
Register

ML: Native Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally you need to run a *variety* of tasks while monitoring pstates to see more pstates being used. The OS picks states depending on need, and the need varies depending on what you're doing with your computer.

And probably MacMini6,1 (or iMac13,1 less states with iMac) would be more appropriate for a desktop PC.

Hi RehabMan,

thank you very much for your reply. So does this mean that my settings are right, except my system Definition? And will the turbo state from the ssdt.aml be enabled if there are enough tasks running on the system?

Have a nice day

Hi toleda,

I tried both ways, with a vanilla AGPM.kext. I first enabled HD3K on the bios, edited my DSDT renaming GFX0 to IGPU, PEGP to GFX0, added the DSM methods under IGPU and HDEF address, so on and so on... HD3k worked wonderfully with a vanilla AGPM and GE=No, unfortunately i got no use of this as i only have one monitor and i can't play games on the HD3k.

So, after getting the HD3K working i edited the AGPM to try adding GTX570 support again (Vendor10deDevice1086, control-id 17, heuristic id 0, and so on just like you did on post #1), cleaned caches, rebuilt prelinked kernel caches, etc. Rebooted and i'm stuck again at the same screen, this time, with my monitor HDMI plugged on the HD3K HDMI port. I can't get to the login screen as it somehow gets stuck and i have to reset the comp, check the picture below. :banghead:

Photo%2029-11-13%2011%2054%2044.jpg

And it's only happening when I add GTX570 support on the AGPM.kext (under macmini5,1 product name). If i restore the AGPM.kext the system boots up fine once again (AGPM unknownplatform).

Thanks a lot.

P.S.: i5-2500K 4.5ghz (p-states working on macmini5,1), system has been stable on Windows7/ML/Lion/SL and been using it OC'd for more than a year. On Mavericks it's my card giving me the headaches (safari video crashes/channel exceptions) whereas on Mountain Lion i had a fully working system with no issues whatsoever on the gtx under macmini5,1 def and a vanilla AGPM. Very weird, i never had any troubles on ML, Lion, SnowLeopard with this card.

Hi RehabMan,

thank you very much for your reply. So does this mean that my settings are right, except my system Definition? And will the turbo state from the ssdt.aml be enabled if there are enough tasks running on the system?

Have a nice day

It is not about "enough tasks running". It is about running MSRDumper for a long enough period of time and using your computer normally.

And it's only happening when I add GTX570 support on the AGPM.kext (under macmini5,1 product name). If i restore the AGPM.kext the system boots up fine once again (AGPM unknownplatform).
I do not know what is causing your problem. Try macbookpro8,3 sysdef.

i don't get my mistake here..

I have the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagementInfo.kext installed and it tells me only 15 and 35 state is reached.
Code:
kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 16 35 ]

here is what i did:

Step 1: edit my org.chameleon.Boot.plist with the following content:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>DropSSDT</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EHCIacquire</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
        <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>No</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>SystemType</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Step 2: choose the right smbios: i did try with both imac13.2 and macmini5.1 and macmini6.2

Step 3: run the generation script with the following command (3 times for every smbios):

Code:
/Users/mhn/ssdtPRGen.sh i7-3770K 3500

Still every time i only get 2 States 16 and 35.
I dont overclock or anything and i didn't do any GPU edits.
I also did run Benchmarks like Luxmark (for CPU stress) and Geekbench to make sure there is a CPU load

i don't get my mistake here..

I have the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagementInfo.kext installed and it tells me only 15 and 35 state is reached.
Code:
kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 16 35 ]

here is what i did:

Step 1: edit my org.chameleon.Boot.plist with the following content:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>DropSSDT</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EHCIacquire</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
        <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>No</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>SystemType</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Step 2: choose the right smbios: i did try with both imac13.2 and macmini5.1 and macmini6.2

Step 3: run the generation script with the following command (3 times for every smbios):

Code:
/Users/mhn/ssdtPRGen.sh i7-3770K 3500

Still every time i only get 2 States 16 and 35.
I dont overclock or anything and i didn't do any GPU edits.
I also did run Benchmarks like Luxmark (for CPU stress) and Geekbench to make sure there is a CPU load

Maybe you have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext installed. Or you didn't install the SSDT correctly (it must be /Extra/ssdt.aml, not /Extra/ssdt_pr.aml). Post ioreg if you want me to look: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Or you have installed rollback AppleACPIPlatform.kext...

so far i couldn't figure out what it is. i just copied the original IOPlatformPlugin.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the Mavericks dongle to my System. (btw ignore the Mac Pro it is custom edited)

I attached the IOReg file and Picture of my Folders and the Terminaloutput for the script

Attachments

• sdtPRGen.tiff
    158.7 KB · Views: 156
  • sysdef.tiff
    70.3 KB · Views: 149
  • extra.tiff
    119 KB · Views: 147
  • extensions-n.tiff
    270.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Station.zip
    522 KB · Views: 103
so far i couldn't figure out what it is. i just copied the original IOPlatformPlugin.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the Mavericks dongle to my System. (btw ignore the Mac Pro it is custom edited)

I attached the IOReg file and Picture of my Folders and the Terminaloutput for the script

Like I suspected. NullCPUPowerMangement is installed.

Hi, after all the business updating to Mavericks I've been looking at my hack to try and optimize it properly...

I'm wondering though :

1a) With a HD7950 is a MacMini 6,2 definition instead of a MacPro 3,1 really the best choice?
Seing how there isn't a discrete GPU in the ApplePowerManagement.kext for the MacMini

1b) When modifying APM.kext, can I add My own card info from System Information (Vendor1002Device679a)?

2) Lately when I tried modifying AGPM.kext I had a boot error about it not being properly signed,
the same with removing the GPU sensor from FakeSMC.kext (not booting with it). How to sign a modified kext so it doesn't bother me at boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back