Contribute
Register

ML: Native Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

For those interested: Houdini doesn't work with Mavericks.

Only way it would show hidden files was with this terminal command:

> say Hidden items disabled
> defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
> else
> say Hidden items enabled
> defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
> fi

Invisibility Toggler works great.
http://tjmsoftware.thejoshmeister.com

Update: After much testing, the only app that does not let the GPU idle once used is Quick Look. There is a know bug about this app.

It's true the main problem app for mis is Quick Look. How do you know it's a known bug with Quick Look? Can you post a link or KB article?

Thanks

Hi, just wondering if I am on the right track in enabling my power management. Still end up with KP.

I have i7 3770T and 7-series intel dh77df motherboard with MT installed with Unibeast + Multibeast 5.5 working fine with NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. In order to enable pwrmngmt I understood instructions to be and have tried:

1. change to Mac Mini 6.2 system definition, done & verified
2. make edited SSDT with ssdtPRGen, no errors, no warnings, output looks correct, all ok.
3. copy SSDT.aml to /Extra and edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist: GenerateCStates=No, GeneratePStates=NO and DropSSDT=YES, done.
4. boot ok, however still running with NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. When reading system SSDT with MaciAsl I get same SSDT content as was output by ssdtPRGen so in my understanding all is fine to go.
5. delete NullCPUPowermanagement and have original MT AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in system and boot
6. end up with KP of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, WHY?

I can boot with install-USB, elect installed MT disk and safe mode (-x) and change & fix whatever I want but after reading hours of articles I do not find a solution to fix this. Am I missing something here?

Cheers'

Hi, just wondering if I am on the right track in enabling my power management. Still end up with KP.

I have i7 3770T and 7-series intel dh77df motherboard with MT installed with Unibeast + Multibeast 5.5 working fine with NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. In order to enable pwrmngmt I understood instructions to be and have tried:

1. change to Mac Mini 6.2 system definition, done & verified
2. make edited SSDT with ssdtPRGen, no errors, no warnings, output looks correct, all ok.
3. copy SSDT.aml to /Extra and edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist: GenerateCStates=No, GeneratePStates=NO and DropSSDT=YES, done.
4. boot ok, however still running with NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. When reading system SSDT with MaciAsl I get same SSDT content as was output by ssdtPRGen so in my understanding all is fine to go.
5. delete NullCPUPowermanagement and have original MT AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in system and boot
6. end up with KP of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, WHY?

I can boot with install-USB, elect installed MT disk and safe mode (-x) and change & fix whatever I want but after reading hours of articles I do not find a solution to fix this. Am I missing something here?

Cheers'

Your CPU MSRs are probably locked by the BIOS. You need either patched BIOS or patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (in Multibeast).

Installed patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with Multibeast 5.5 and still end up with KP. Any suggestions?

Made now a clean Mavericks install, installed patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with Multibeast 6.0 and it works. Next I made edited SSDT with ssdtPRGen and it too works. I got also processor turbo speeds at least up to 3,52GHz while maintaining low speed of 1.6GHz. I tried also with ML but did not get it to work.

Perhaps you can answer also on this: when running with DropSSDT=No
- do I get actual SSDT from bios/system by reading with MaciAsl?
- in my system MaciAsl opens 4 SSDT-files: SSDT, SSDT-1, SSDT-2 and SSDT-3. Suppose this is normal?
- when I compile and study these SSDT files, my SSDT-1 has en error, the dsl has clearly been read or dissassembled incorrect. I fixed the SSDT-1 and compiled it without any errors. How to put this fix in effect? I tried with running with DropSSDT=Yes and all 4 SSDT files compiled (including fixed SSDT-1.aml) and adding the one generated with ssdtPRGen as SSDT-4.aml as the fifth SSDT. All works including powermanagement and turbo speed and my defect Airplay Mirroring started working. But is this the right way to go or do you see some problems here? (I did this based on my own logic so I am unsure).

Thanks a lot guy's

Made now a clean Mavericks install, installed patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with Multibeast 6.0 and it works. Next I made edited SSDT with ssdtPRGen and it too works. I got also processor turbo speeds at least up to 3,52GHz while maintaining low speed of 1.6GHz. I tried also with ML but did not get it to work.

Perhaps you can answer also on this: when running with DropSSDT=No
- do I get actual SSDT from bios/system by reading with MaciAsl?
- in my system MaciAsl opens 4 SSDT-files: SSDT, SSDT-1, SSDT-2 and SSDT-3. Suppose this is normal?
- when I compile and study these SSDT files, my SSDT-1 has en error, the dsl has clearly been read or dissassembled incorrect. I fixed the SSDT-1 and compiled it without any errors. How to put this fix in effect? I tried with running with DropSSDT=Yes and all 4 SSDT files compiled (including fixed SSDT-1.aml) and adding the one generated with ssdtPRGen as SSDT-4.aml as the fifth SSDT. All works including powermanagement and turbo speed and my defect Airplay Mirroring started working. But is this the right way to go or do you see some problems here? (I did this based on my own logic so I am unsure).

Thanks a lot guy's

If you're using DropSSDT=No, you'll get the OEM tables, plus any you have in /Extra/SSDT*.aml. It is best to DropSSDT=Yes and if you need some of the OEM tables, extract them and include them in /Extra (named appropriately). Otherwise you can end up with duplicate c/p state tables which can lead to problems.

It is common to have errors in OEM SSDTs when disassembled in in MaciASL because of all the external references. To decompile them properly, refer to iasl's "-e" option. If you wish to include various OEM tables in /Extra, there is no need to recompile.

Hi toleda,

would be nice if you could help me again.

My system is H77n Wifi with i3-3225. I have generated an ssdt for my CPU using ssdtPRGen. System def is set to MacBookPro10,1.

This is what the log shows:
Code:
sdtPRGen.sh v6.8 Copyright (c) 2013 by Pike R. Alpha
----------------------------------------------------------------
Processor Declaration(s) Found in DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)
Generating ssdt_pr.dsl for a MacBookPro10,1 [Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F]
Ivy Bridge Core i3-3225 processor [0x306A9] setup [0x0901]
With a maximum TDP of 55 Watt, as specified by Intel
Override value: Max Turbo Frequency, now using: 3400 MHz!
Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 3300 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 1 (3400-3400 MHz)
Number of P-States: 19 (1600-3400 MHz)
Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7)
Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3)
Warning: Model identifier [MacBookPro10,1] is missing from: /S*/L*/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0901 instead of 0x0701)

Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 2)

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20130117-64 [Jan 19 2013]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     /Users/mountainview/Desktop/ssdt_pr.dsl - 244 lines, 7655 bytes, 37 keywords
AML Output:    /Users/mountainview/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml - 1311 bytes, 15 named objects, 22 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Warning: Failed to locate the Clover boot.log
Creating temporarily mount point: /Volumes/EFI
Password:
Mounting EFI partition...
mount_hfs: Invalid argument

Unmounting EFI partition...
umount: /Volumes/EFI: not currently mounted
Removing temporarily mount point...

Do you want to copy /Users/mountainview/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml to /Extra/ssdt_pr.aml? (y/n)?y
localhost:~ mountainview$

After that i renamed the ssdt_pr.aml in Extra to ssdt.aml.
In the Bootloader i disabled C/P-States and enabled drop ssdt.

When i test with GeekBanch, MSRDumper gives me this:
Code:
Nov 28 18:23:20 localhost kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 26 33 
Nov 28 18:23:20 localhost kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 

Can you tell me what I'm missing, why i only have 3 P-States? IOReg from IOJones is attached, if needed.

Attachments

• IOReg.zip
    380.1 KB · Views: 72
Hi toleda,

would be nice if you could help me again.

My system is H77n Wifi with i3-3225. I have generated an ssdt for my CPU using ssdtPRGen. System def is set to MacBookPro10,1.

This is what the log shows:
Code:
sdtPRGen.sh v6.8 Copyright (c) 2013 by Pike R. Alpha
----------------------------------------------------------------
Processor Declaration(s) Found in DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)
Generating ssdt_pr.dsl for a MacBookPro10,1 [Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F]
Ivy Bridge Core i3-3225 processor [0x306A9] setup [0x0901]
With a maximum TDP of 55 Watt, as specified by Intel
Override value: Max Turbo Frequency, now using: 3400 MHz!
Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 3300 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 1 (3400-3400 MHz)
Number of P-States: 19 (1600-3400 MHz)
Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7)
Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3)
Warning: Model identifier [MacBookPro10,1] is missing from: /S*/L*/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0901 instead of 0x0701)

Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 2)

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20130117-64 [Jan 19 2013]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     /Users/mountainview/Desktop/ssdt_pr.dsl - 244 lines, 7655 bytes, 37 keywords
AML Output:    /Users/mountainview/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml - 1311 bytes, 15 named objects, 22 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Warning: Failed to locate the Clover boot.log
Creating temporarily mount point: /Volumes/EFI
Password:
Mounting EFI partition...
mount_hfs: Invalid argument

Unmounting EFI partition...
umount: /Volumes/EFI: not currently mounted
Removing temporarily mount point...

Do you want to copy /Users/mountainview/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml to /Extra/ssdt_pr.aml? (y/n)?y
localhost:~ mountainview$

After that i renamed the ssdt_pr.aml in Extra to ssdt.aml.
In the Bootloader i disabled C/P-States and enabled drop ssdt.

When i test with GeekBanch, MSRDumper gives me this:
Code:
Nov 28 18:23:20 localhost kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 

Can you tell me what I'm missing, why i only have 3 P-States? IOReg from IOJones is attached, if needed.

Generally you need to run a *variety* of tasks while monitoring pstates to see more pstates being used. The OS picks states depending on need, and the need varies depending on what you're doing with your computer.

And probably MacMini6,1 (or iMac13,1 less states with iMac) would be more appropriate for a desktop PC.

Hi Toleda,

I'm having a problem with my EVGA GTX 570 HD card (Vendor10de 1086). I did exactly as directed on post #1 with the AGPM edits, however i can't get the system to boot on Mavericks (have not tried ML/Lion), this is how the screen looks before it goes black -> blue -> monitor turns off.

Photo%2029-11-13%2000%2038%2005.png

I'm using a SB cpu along with a macmini5,1 smbios def.

Thanks!,
Walgus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back