Contribute
Register

ML: Native Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not recommended to mix product names and board-ids. Ivy Bridge PM uses the Board-ID. Sandy Bridge PM uses product name.

My mistake, attached ssdts fixed. Download again, rename, install and restart. You may also want to try a custom ssdt to 4.5GHz (plus 100, 4600).

Thanks! Now it's working perfect!
Absolutely I'll try to generate my custom SSDT with 4.5GHz and I'll post later the results.

Thanks again!

When convenient, post msrdumper result.

Geekbench, HWMonitor when running Geekbench and MSRDumper:

Captura de Tela 2013-01-29 às 01.14.41.png
Captura de Tela 2013-01-29 às 01.14.28.png
Captura de Tela 2013-01-29 às 01.12.51.png

Poo. If I use your SSDT build, I get no PStates, lots of kernel errors on boot, and only turbos 29 thru 34 and a base of 12 all of which come from a place about which I am unaware. If I 'fix" the load errors by modifying the SSDT table build, everything is good except no speed stepping; I still get the ring table error but not the ACPI PState setting error; IOReg looks great but no Speed Stepping.

I am running as a Macmini6,2.

I have included both tests in the file; JOY being better (as in faster) than NOJOY (my changes; no kernel errors but no speed step) but neither actually function. Both files contain complete Darwin Dumper, IOReg, logs, DSDT, SSDTs as well as the original DELL SSDTs of which 5 of the 7 have to do with power management. SSDT-4 is related to the nVidia and SSDT-7 with fans, temperatures, etc. so you will see them loaded as my SSDT-1 and SSDT-2 right after the Apple PM table we are creating for this project as SSDT.

In any case, I am grateful for all of your efforts and hope that these files might lead to a better implementation for all. My system is a Dell 17R SE 3D, 16GB i7-3630QM with GT 650M.

Poo. If I use your SSDT build, I get no PStates, lots of kernel errors on boot, and only turbos 29 thru 34 and a base of 12 all of which come from a place about which I am unaware. If I 'fix" the load errors by modifying the SSDT table build, everything is good except no speed stepping; I still get the ring table error but not the ACPI PState setting error; IOReg looks great but no Speed Stepping.

I am running as a Macmini6,2.
Thanks for the valuable information. Note, this thread only addresses desktops:
Ivy Bridge CPU Power Management edited ssdt.aml (B75, H77, Z77 motherboards only)

That said, if you up for an experiment, try macbookpro10,1.

1. Ivy Bridge power management requires 10.8.2 or newer, edited SSDT, edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and Ivy Bridge System Definitions: macmini6, imac13, macbookpro9/10

This is my scenario.

GA Z77 -UD5H
i7 3770k (stock for now)
GTX 580 1.5gb
8gb Corrsair
Vertex 4 / Crucial M4 SSD’s
Custom EK watercooling loop

10.8.2 running MacPro 3,1

Sorry if a lot of these questions seem basic. I’m fairly new at all this and trying to understand the process.

1. Can I find a basic ssdt.aml that is corrected for a non-overcloacked i7 3770k or do I need to make a custom one? The one in this thread says O.C. to 4.2ghz.
2. MSR Dumper is used to verify speed step is functioning? Need to google that.
3. Installation of the ssdt.aml seems fairly easy!
4. Where do I get an edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagment.kext or do I need to create a custom one?
5. Should I change the sysdef to MacMini 6,1 or 6,2 before or after creating the extra folder and placing the ssdt.aml in there?
6. After changing sysdef and adding the edited ssdt.aml will I need to edit graphics power management? Or is this an optional step?

For optional discrete graphics (iMac13), the discrete graphics card device_id is used for graphics power management. The Ivy Bridge graphics power management is significantly easier to implement. For Macs without discrete graphics (Mini), simply adding the device_id power profile to the appropriate board-id adds graphics power management (i.e., Vendor10deDevice1086)

How do I add the “device id”? I’m totally lost on this step. How do I add it? What do I edit?

Understood. I think I got a PState stepper error with the MBP before but I'll try it again as we are further down the road. The Dell N7720 is a H77 chipset although it has that nasty mobile designation HM77 ... :)

This is my scenario.

1. Can I find a basic ssdt.aml that is corrected for a non-overcloacked i7 3770k or do I need to make a custom one? The one in this thread says O.C. to 4.2ghz.
2. MSR Dumper is used to verify speed step is functioning? Need to google that.
3. Installation of the ssdt.aml seems fairly easy!
4. Where do I get an edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagment.kext or do I need to create a custom one?
5. Should I change the sysdef to MacMini 6,1 or 6,2 before or after creating the extra folder and placing the ssdt.aml in there?
6. After changing sysdef and adding the edited ssdt.aml will I need to edit graphics power management? Or is this an optional step?

How do I add the “device id”? I’m totally lost on this step. How do I add it? What do I edit?
1. The i7 SSDT works fine for non OC.
2. See How To Test for SpeedStep on Sandy Bridge CPUs Using MSRDump
3. Where are edits to AppleGraphicsPowerManagment.kext mentioned? (none are required)
4. You already have an Extra folder. Copy SSDT.aml to Extra.
5. It needs to be done before you restart use macmini6,2.
6. Timing is optional but is required for optimal graphics performance. Post #1 tells you where the Board-ID.plist is located. plist editor is available in Xcode or search for plist editor apps.

Suggest you start with Sandy Bridge Power Management and then update to Ivy Bridge Power Management.
Sandy Bridge Power Management:
1. MultiBeast Customization/Boot Options/Generate CPU States
2. MultiBeast Customization/System Definitions/imac12,2 or macmini5,1
3. MultiBeast Customization/SSDT Options/Sandy Bridge Core i7
4. Add DropSSDT=Yes in Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist (use TextEdit or Chameleon Wizard)
5. Restart
6. Verify SpeedStep with msrdumper.

Understood. I think I got a PState stepper error with the MBP before but I'll try it again as we are further down the road. The Dell N7720 is a H77 chipset although it has that nasty mobile designation HM77 ... :)
The 2630QM does not work electrically or mechanically with H77.

Sorry - if I said 2630QM somewhere ... it is a 3630QM, and using the MBP10,1 didn't help UNTIL I corrected my error. I was trying to make the table match the Dell generated steps ... you must 1) not change the steps generated by the formula and 2) set the APSN (mine is 0x0B) and APLF (0x02) values to match what you need/want. Power management conquered! On to the next!

And again, thank you for all of your hard work - and my solution does include my modification to the SSDT to correct the PState table load failures.

Attachments

• MSRDumper.png
    MSRDumper.png
    30 KB · Views: 407
  • smbios.plist
    652 bytes · Views: 453
  • ssdt.dsl
    12.8 KB · Views: 231
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back