Radon RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So after reading the mostly positive feedback on the ease of upgrade to 10.8.1, and the note that no new kexts were added, I decided to perform the upgrade. I was instantly met with a kernel panic after reboot. Unfortunatley, I am not able to even get back up in safe mode. I tried -x -v -f, but I'm still getting the KP. Would any of the npci or PCIRootUID flags have been affected here? I've attached a screen shot of the KP. It appears to be linked to the IOAHCIFamily kext according to the "Kernel Extensions in backtrace" message. I "believe" that my S/L/E folder is backed up, so hopefully I can copy the old one over in single user mode, if I can get that far, but if not, or if that's the wrong method, does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a corrected version in MultiBeast?

Attachments

• IMG_0158[1].jpg
    IMG_0158[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
Have you removed the old kexts?
I can't completely read the text in your photo of the KP, but I had a similar problem upgrading yesterday. The KP came much after the problem kexts, which looked like it was caused by the old FakeSMC and its plugins that were leftover from Lion.
I removed all the extra kexts from my upgraded partition using Terminal (booting from my old Lion installer) to fix it. I also had a problem with my Radeon 6850 video card not being compatible with the installer or booting ML until I removed the old kexts. It was kind of a mess so I'm not sure which step fixed my KP (removing the video card or removing old kexts).

However, the video card gave me "Still waiting for root device errors" so I'm fairly certain it was the old FakeSMC kext that resulted in a KP. I probably needed to remove all the old Multibeast kexts before upgrading to ML. Now my system seems to work fine.

I have the current FakeSMC, and FakeSMC isn't listed anywhere in the KP. I'm not ruling it out, but usually FakeSMC will show up if it's the problem. Pretty sure it has to to do with IOAHCIFamily, since that's what listed in the KP.

Other problem is I can't even boot into single user mode. I might be able to boot with the Unibeast USB and copy the offending kexts from there...not sure.

Had the same issue.

I replaced IOAHCI kexts from 10.7.4

Really? 10.7.4? Are the same as the 10.8.0 kexts? Wonder what happened, and more importantly, why aren't more people reporting the problem. How did you get them copied over? I can't boot into -x or -s...

Had a similar problem in 10.8, so I made sure I had the two AHCI drivers from 10.7.4 ready just in case (copied AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext into S/L/E/, renamed with *.bak extensions). Sure enough at the first boot with 10.8.1, instant kernel panic. Boot option -s didn't work so I rebooted with the 10.8 USB installer, and renamed the files in Terminal (nicer than single-user mode because it pre-mounts all detected drives for you).

Some people have reported -f lets them get in, but that did not work for me. In 10.8, I would get the long "waiting for root device", which the -f would temporarily get around.

You may also want to try patching the 10.8.1 IOACHIFamily.kext described here (have not tried it):
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/69200-10-8-1-f-boot-issues.html

Okay, interesting. I had prepared to do just what you suggested. I reinstalled from Unibeast last night, got my machine back up and running. I took my laptop, which still runs 10.7.4, copied those two files to my Dropbox, pulled the two files from the dropbox and put them on my ML drive and renamed them .bak. This time, I ran the update from the App store, and not the stand alone updater, and this time it installed, rebooted, and came up perfectly fine. No errors, not KP. I'm wondering if the stand alone has a bad kext somewhere....

"How did you get them copied over?"

The ML install usb has a terminal, mounted my backup dmg, popped up a terminal and got rig of the offending kexts, and replaced them.

Keep that install usb handy :)

Hi, thanks for bringing up this issue... i am also getting an error where it says IOAHCIblockinjector.kext not found... and system just waits...

what do i do? replace with old lion kexts... which i dont have? or patch the existing file?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back