Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI X-58 Platinum -Gaming (Bios v3.9) / Clover v2.3 rev 3899
CPU
i7-920
Graphics
Nvidia (EVGA) Geforce GTX 260
Today I installed El Capitan (10.11.6) and things seem to be working very nicely...except for there's no audio. I've spent a lot of the day looking at all the fixes/patches/injects that would supposedly get Realtek ALC888 audio working on this older system, but so far to no avail. However, I'm curious about one thing...

This system has had Mountain Lion on it (dual boot) and running fine for years, and has sound...at least through the headphone jack...using a VoodooHDA kext. When I check IORegistryExplorer (searching for HDEF@1B) to see what the 'layout-id' is it shows <01 00 00 00>. So from what I've read that suggests ML and VoodooHDA are seeing the audio hardware with ID 1, etc etc. I've read that sometimes other ID's may work, but in this case it is showing as 1 and I do have some sound on the ML installation.

But there is no audio under El Capitan, and when I checked the EC installation using IORegistryExplorer---it shows the layout ID as <00 00 00 00>, huh?...not <01 00 0 00> like ML. In some posts I've seen the all-0's indicates 'invalid'. I suppose that's why it doesn't want to work in EC, but then why is it working in ML and showing <01 00...etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the EC installation?
Thanks..

Today I installed El Capitan (10.11.6) and things seem to be working very nicely...except for there's no audio. I've spent a lot of the day looking at all the fixes/patches/injects that would supposedly get Realtek ALC888 audio working on this older system, but so far to no avail. However, I'm curious about one thing...

This system has had Mountain Lion on it (dual boot) and running fine for years, and has sound...at least through the headphone jack...using a VoodooHDA kext. When I check IORegistryExplorer (searching for HDEF@1B) to see what the 'layout-id' is it shows <01 00 00 00>. So from what I've read that suggests ML and VoodooHDA are seeing the audio hardware with ID 1, etc etc. I've read that sometimes other ID's may work, but in this case it is showing as 1 and I do have some sound on the ML installation.

But there is no audio under El Capitan, and when I checked the EC installation using IORegistryExplorer---it shows the layout ID as <00 00 00 00>, huh?...not <01 00 0 00> like ML. In some posts I've seen the all-0's indicates 'invalid'. I suppose that's why it doesn't want to work in EC, but then why is it working in ML and showing <01 00...etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the EC installation?
Thanks..

VoodooHDA is not recommended.
Try cloverALC instead:
https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/README.md

VoodooHDA is not recommended.
Try cloverALC instead:
https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/README.md

Thanks, I tried CloverALC once and still had no audio, but it was late last night and maybe I missed something so I'll try it again.

Nevertheless, I am still curious about the question of the 'Layout ID' situation. Why would the El Capitan installation show a layout ID of <00 00 00 00>, meaning either nothing or 'invalid', but the working Mountain Lion installation--on the very same PC--shows a layout ID of <01 00 00 00>?

If ML can see the hardware...why doesn't EC find anything?

Thanks, I tried CloverALC once and still had no audio, but it was late last night and maybe I missed something so I'll try it again.

Nevertheless, I am still curious about the question of the 'Layout ID' situation. Why would the El Capitan installation show a layout ID of <00 00 00 00>, meaning either nothing or 'invalid', but the working Mountain Lion installation--on the very same PC--shows a layout ID of <01 00 00 00>?

If ML can see the hardware...why doesn't EC find anything?

I remember that audio layout is can be injected by Clover. Have you tweaked your config before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back